Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Hockey 2010 - Delivery or Take Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Hockey 2010 - Delivery or Take Out?

I am exhausted, I have no voice, I'll have to put up with Miami fans in 2 weeks, and yet I'm still beyond happy at the way Michigan played this past month.

Thank you for the rollercoaster. Thank you for making the end of the season thrilling. Thanks for playing the hockey you showed you were capable of all year, it just wasn't consistent. My 4 helpings of dessert were delicious.

Great end to the season and great effort. I've never been this proud of a team after a season ending loss.

As for officiating, I acknowledge that it's part of hockey, as are lucky bounces. Does anyone know if HE has any speed teams? The officials looked like they couldn't keep up with the pace of play (Bemidji game and Miami game). I even had one person comment to me that she saw a linesman sucking wind before a faceoff. He was exhausted. I think some of that lack of speed resulted in being out of position and making some bad calls. There were a few times where Michigan played great defense got in front of someone and to the puck, then gets called for a penalty. Ugh.
    Last edited by wolverineTrumpet; 03-29-2010, 10:37 AM.
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G
    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
    2 Alaskan

Comment

One question for you rule-book aficionados:

What's with not switching ends for overtime? Michigan had the long change for all but the 2nd period.
      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
      7 B1G
      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
      2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post

What's with not switching ends for overtime? Michigan had the long change for all but the 2nd period.
        Unlike the NHL, the teams do not swap ends in OT. And because of the configurations of the benches, Michigan did have the long D zone change for the 3rd and OT's. However, we also had a short O Zone change. Needless to say, that did not influence the outcome, we didn't lose due to a bad change.
        Infrequent poster, frequent reader.

Comment

There's a tremendous amount to be proud of with this team. They were down and out 5 weeks ago. For whatever reason, a reason that no longer matters, they just weren't able to put the pieces together as a team from November through February. It was more frustrating to the players and coaching staff than it was to any of us as spectators.

Then that fleeting moment happened. The one where Hogan went down, and a collective gasp and "Oh no" was let out by many. What was largely a disappointing season had taken another turn for the worse. Our starting goaltender was hurt, and in an instant, thoughts of this being the end of the road were seemingly solidified.

But then. Then the team didn't panic. Then they played defense like their lives depended on it. Then they focused on defense first, and would have to rely on offense created from that defense. Then the puck went in the net.

Emerging from that game, one which could have gone oh so wrong, Shawn Hunwick had a shutout, the team was victorious, and a feel good moment was at hand. Everyone expected the opposite a mere hour and a half before. Everyone but the team, that is.

In that moment, the one where Hogan was down in pain, a new team was born. One which knew that they could no longer play the same style they had previously. One which, in a moment, knew their responsibilities individually carried much more weight. One which had to perform those responsibilities as a collective unit. They had done it before. They knew they could. They just couldn't find the consistency that the best teams have.

Confidence wasn't bread that night. That's something that stemmed from the effort. The consistent team effort. But that's where it started. Seeing their practice goalie, the "target", succeed. The one who always showed up and never complained. The one who was just happy to be part of the team. He had his chance, and they couldn't let him down.

The team won. They stumbled a little in Hunwick's first start. The one where we all said, "okay, this is the reality, not the exception". But then they won again. Then Hunwick had his second shutout, and we left Yost for the year with some more feel good moments. It felt good to end the home season on a win. A playoff series win, and the shutout to boot.

A daunting task ahead at Munn? Surely. Were there expectations to win? Well, I think the most optimistic were hoping for one win, to avoid a series sweep. And we all would have been okay with that. Maybe not happy, as we hadn't been happy with much that happened all season. But one win would have been nice, just to know that we can in fact win at Munn more than the recent record states, and with the season on the line.

Who would've thought that we were in for such a treat? A 5-1 victory on Friday night?! Really?! Not only was it a 5-1 victory, but it was a resounding statement that this team would not go lightly. Michigan would fight until it could not fight any more. Backed by a solid group of dedicated fans who turned Munn Ice Arena into Yost West, they got it done.

Admittedly, I purchased tickets earlier in the week for Saturday night, hoping beyond all hope that it would be a chance to see one last win, but more than likely I would be going to support them in their last outing for the season. I didn't want to witness a season ending loss, but I wanted to be there regardless. In my mind, our best chance to win would have been Friday, but would have ultimately been followed up with a Spartan performance that tabled our chances for Saturday evening. After all, we were going to their barn where we hadn't much success recently, and they were the number 2 team.

Yet again, Michigan found a way to deliver. They showed patience. They could have panicked after three quick goals against, but instead they regrouped and came back determined. Ultimately, that patience and determination garnered Michigan's first back-to-back victories in East Lansing since 1975, and it's first in the same weekend. The best word to describe it: amazing. We're fans. We're not part of the team. But there were plenty of us in attendance who were in no hurry to leave that night. What we had witnessed was phenomenal, and we wanted to soak up every moment.

Michigan had proven itself. Those two wins were the exclamation that this was a team. This is a team. Whatever had happened prior to March no longer mattered. They were a force to be reckoned with, and watch out if you thought otherwise.

Of course, I still had no hope that we would prevail in Detroit. Maybe hope is the wrong word? I had no expectation. After all, we typically expect great things. I had hope, where previously there was little, but I was perfectly content to have these victories at Munn be the last dance. We were now staring down the best team in the CCHA, and arguably the best team in the country.

Miami had beaten us twice at Yost. The sweep that lead to the November tailspin. We were a different team then. But the fact remained that this was a huge task, and one which few had expectations of a win. Few? Maybe none. Well, except those in the locker room. The fire to emerge and play for a championship was burning. But could the recently solid play continue? Consistency was elusive all year, so would the other shoe finally drop on this run?

In short, no. Michigan again played one of it's best games of the year. Solid defensively, gave Miami no space, and the offense was still on fire. This collective team effort was still firing on all cylinders, and Miami was shot down in flames. Hell, Cody Reichard got chased for the first time all year. Little Shawn Hunwick had a performance that even the best Division I goaltenders could be a little envious of.

Northern would prove to be a very formidable foe, but not one that could quash the momentum of a team playing for it's life. Hunwick again played with sheer confidence, and kept his team in a game that it could have otherwise lost. And for that, he was awarded the CCHA tournament's Most Valuable Player award. Shawn Hunwick? Michigan? Yep. Who would've thought?

And so it was... Michigan hangs another banner from the rafters of Yost. The streak now stands at 20 years and counting. The team that stifled some of the enjoyment a lot of us fans seem entitled to, myself included, rose above what had become of their season, and wrote a new chapter. CCHA playoff champions, from a seventh place regular season finish. Another feat that had not happened before.

Fort Wayne bound, there was now plenty of reason to believe in the unlikely. A return to the Frozen Four. Everyone knew Bemidji would be no slouch, and Miami was eager for revenge. Not only revenge on us, but to avenge their championship loss to BU last year.

Bemidji was no cakewalk, as no team in this time of year (hello RIT). But they weren't sneaking up on anyone, and Red's week of preparation was seemingly dedicated to that game. Penalties were questionable at times, but again the team found a way to play through it. The penalty kill was awesome, and yet again, the timely scoring that was missing for most of the year had found its way. The team got the job done on both sides of the ice.

So the rematch was on. Miami determined to make a repeat appearance in the Frozen Four, and Michigan still determined to ensure their season ended on the highest of notes as well. This was a game where Miami had obviously taken a renewed interest as compared to nine days earlier. They limited Michigan's chances to mainly perimeter shots, and would not let them skate unchecked through the neutral zone. Regardless, Michigan persevered yet again. The determination and grit found it's way, and the season ultimately came down to one shot. The result would have been nice had it gone the other way, which it could have, however there's no reason to hang heads. One bounce just happened to go the wrong way. There's zero shame in playing the game that they did and coming out on the unfortunate end. They played their hearts out, and were nearly rewarded yet again.

In retrospect, looking back at my first post in this thread, I questioned whether this team could deliver on it's goals. Did they have the mental toughness to play with a fortitude that winning teams usually do? Could they overcome the November losses that had seemingly left them questioning themselves as individuals and as a group? The answer is a resounding yes. They gave us more than we ever could have wished for. In doing so, they had loads of fun, and really showed us what greatness is made of. Not just in their play, but in their personality. To a man, every last one of them should be proud of what they have accomplished. I know I am.

What will I remember about this team? Not the losses. Not the ill-timed penalties. Not the lack of consistency. I'll remember this team for who they truly turned out to be: a great bunch of players, and most importantly, a great group of characters. The seniors will be sorely missed, but I look forward to what promises to be an outstanding season next year.

It's great to be a Michigan Wolverine.

Comment

Originally posted by KC8NIY View Post
            A very well worded essay.
            Must spred rep....

Nicely written.

Hopefully by this weekend, both in our houshold will feel the same.

Comment

Originally posted by KC8NIY View Post
              What will I remember about this team? Not the losses. Not the ill-timed penalties. Not the lack of consistency. I'll remember this team for who they truly turned out to be: a great bunch of players, and most importantly, a great group of characters. The seniors will be sorely missed, but I look forward to what promises to be an outstanding season next year.

It's great to be a Michigan Wolverine.
              KC, I could quote your entire post, but no need, you last two paragraphs say it all. What a turnaround this year. I know that I went to most of the regular season home games, and was at ALL The playoff games, from Superior to State, to the Joe, to Ft Wayne, and I could not be prouder to be a Michigan Hockey fan than I am now.
              Infrequent poster, frequent reader.

Comment

WT I think you hit the nail on the head. If you look at Miami's second goal the ref was right on top of the play, pretty much draped over the back of the net. On our disallowed goal he didn't change his position at all after Hagelin centered it, so he had the wrong angle to see that the puck wasn't covered. Granted it was a very quick play, but he still should have been in much better position. Could fatigue have been the reason he wasn't? Anyway both play definitely gives me bad flashbacks to 2003 against the Gophers, who was the Michigan player who got his goal disallowed again in that game? I've been trying to remember all day.

I figured going into the game that if we lost it wouldn't hurt as much as past NCAA tournament losses have, but I underestimated the cruelty of whatever evil 2009-10 curse Michigan is under. Well played, '09-10, well played. In about a week or so I'll be able to look back fondly on this amazing run, and Hunwick (fantastic again tonight), and everything else. But right now...yeah it feels pretty much like it always does after an NCAA tournament loss. Which I guess really sums up what the guys accomplished in the last few weeks, I went from barely caring if we lost in the 1st round to LSSU to being crushed that we didn't win the national championship.

Comment

"Anyway both play definitely gives me bad flashbacks to 2003 against the Gophers, who was the Michigan player who got his goal disallowed again in that game? I've been trying to remember all day."

That goal popped into my head as soon as Lynch's was waived off. I am pretty sure it was Jason Ryznar. I was sitting right behind the net and heard the whistle go just as his shot crossed the goal line. Man, those hurt especially in the tournament.
                  The certainties of life...Death, Taxes and bad B1G Referees.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    Must spred rep....

Nicely written.

Hopefully by this weekend, both in our houshold will feel the same.
                    Got him for ya! Take half the credit. And I agree. Very nicely written. No matter how the season ended, the team gave you guys a lot to remember the last few weeks. Sorry it ended sooner than you wanted it to.

Have a great spring and summer UM people. To who it applies, go Wings! Go Tigers! Go away Lions! Can't wait for October. It'll be here soon enough.

and good luck with the Posters Game alfa. Nice job securing a great spot for it. Have fun all!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
                      ANY touching of the puck by a Miami player would have resulted in a whistle; there was a delayed penalty on them. People keep harping on whether the puck was covered up or not; that wasn't the issue. It didn't NEED to be covered up for the whistle to blow, only touched by a Miami player (which it obviously was).
                      In order for play to be whistled dead a Miami played must "control" the puck, not just touch it.
                      Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

This will make two posts for the season. And that will be it.

Win, lose, succeed, or stink, it is always great to be a Michigan fan. It is the crushing disappointments that make the mountaintops so sweet. '97 was great, but even better because of Stewart-to-Westbrook. '96 was great, but even better because of 95 and 94 and 93. This season's run was great, because of... well, the first three quarters of this season.

That said, Sunday night was a brutal way for it to end. It is not that Michigan lost; we all knew we could get beat by a better team and it would be worth it after what happened this year. It is not just that a win would bring Michigan to a dream Frozen Four in our backyard, something I have dreamed about literally from the moment this Frozen Four was announced (I, unlike most, have been in favor of the idea, and actually advocated it in a thread before the CCHA proposed it).

What is so brutal is the way that we lost. I could handle getting beat by the better team, but were they? Not exactly...

2003 is a good analogy. Being soooo close (Ryznar, who dominated that entire tournament, had a different shot that was stopped only by Paul Martin's glove, that would have won it). Playing so well. And, in my current thinking, being good enough that if Michigan just gets the win they are good enough to win the whole thing. In 2003 there was no question that the two best teams in the country were playing on that ice; at least then it was at the Frozen Four and I could reluctantly accept that Minnesota was a deserving victor. This season Miami, while good and certainly not at fault for officiating, by all rights should have lost.

If this had been like 2004, where we took BC to overtime but were clearly the inferior team, it would be easier. If it were like 2005, where we choked a 3 goal lead but had no real chance against Denver, it would be easier. Alas, a Michigan team in Detroit playing like this? A tenth banner could not have been closer.

Brutal.

However, if you gave me the choice of having the season end in East Lansing and having it end here? Take it every time. Losing stinks--but irrelevance stinks much worse. We watch sports because we want to care. We want to be excited. We want victory, but that victory is most satisfying when accompanied by the threat of defeat. And to root for a team that fights so valiantly, succeeds so improbably, progresses so dramatically, gives its absolute best, and comes up short?

That's what we signed up for. Someday we will speak fondly of this team, the way we speak fondly of that great '97 team or the incredible regionals in '02 and '03, the way we remember Porter and Knuble and Wiseman. Fond memories, memories worth revisiting, memories worth coming back to.

And some day we will see that tenth title, and remember, and rejoice.
                        Jesus Saves

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post

I noticed that too and I am also curious also. However, I do disagree with the long change part. You were there so you should have noticed that the benches were on opposite sides of the ice (like spartys).
                          Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have read that Michigan has been recruiting goalies Vienneau (Kingston-OJHL) and Summerhays (Green Bay-USHL). Summerhays signed with Notre Dame. Any word on Vienneau?

Comment

Not sure I heard much about Summerhayes being recruited by Michigan, though he certainly intrigued me. Top goalie in the USHL statistically...heck, with a 30-2-3 record in net, that's pretty impressive.

But I think you're thinking of the other USHL goalie, Jeff Teglia, whose name got brought up in an article not too long ago along with Vienneau about being looked at by Michigan. Teglia just committed to UMass, so he's off the board, too.

After the way Hunwick played during the playoff run, I'm not sure what the coaching staff is going to do now. Do we ride Hogan/Hunwick another season and focus on a goalie for 2011? Try to recruit a goalie like Vienneau for 2010 while focusing on another top goalie recruit?

Bob Miller of Rivals hinted Michigan's top target right now is Dalton Izyk for 2012. Hogan is a senior next year, which means there's a one year gap between him graduating and Izyk (or any other 2012 goalie) arriving that would leave us with just Hunwick and Summers in net. So be it this year or next, they need to find a goalie somewhere.

I prefer them taking a flier on a goalie this year to create a two year gap to give that kid a chance. If Michigan is targeting a top 2012 goalie, it could be hard to find a suitable 2011 goalie recruit, who might look at it as they're coming in for a year then expected to be replaced by whatever top 2012 goalie they recruit and that's not worth it.
                              Michigan Hockey Net
                              Follow MHNet on Twitter

NMUKat82 to my dog Cinnamon: Will you stop eyeballing my crotch like you're expecting something tasty to come out???

NMU Hockey: No Focke. No Scharge. The curse has been lifted and the turnaround begins!

"'Tech' means nerd, and nerds suck at sports." - Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by M-HockeyNet View Post
                                Not sure I heard much about Summerhayes being recruited by Michigan, though he certainly intrigued me. Top goalie in the USHL statistically...heck, with a 30-2-3 record in net, that's pretty impressive.

But I think you're thinking of the other USHL goalie, Jeff Teglia, whose name got brought up in an article not too long ago along with Vienneau about being looked at by Michigan. Teglia just committed to UMass, so he's off the board, too.

After the way Hunwick played during the playoff run, I'm not sure what the coaching staff is going to do now. Do we ride Hogan/Hunwick another season and focus on a goalie for 2011? Try to recruit a goalie like Vienneau for 2010 while focusing on another top goalie recruit?

Bob Miller of Rivals hinted Michigan's top target right now is Dalton Izyk for 2012. Hogan is a senior next year, which means there's a one year gap between him graduating and Izyk (or any other 2012 goalie) arriving that would leave us with just Hunwick and Summers in net. So be it this year or next, they need to find a goalie somewhere.

I prefer them taking a flier on a goalie this year to create a two year gap to give that kid a chance. If Michigan is targeting a top 2012 goalie, it could be hard to find a suitable 2011 goalie recruit, who might look at it as they're coming in for a year then expected to be replaced by whatever top 2012 goalie they recruit and that's not worth it.
                                Thanks for the info. I was not thinking of Teglia. It was reported that Summerhays was being recruited by Michigan.

Comment

Working...
                                X