Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Hockey 2010 - Delivery or Take Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Hockey 2010 - Delivery or Take Out?

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    I'd like to see what the refs were looking at on the 5-3 goal review- it must have been VERY close in terms of a goal.
    The puck looked to be under the glove of the WMU goalie, but they could not be sure because of the black puck on black jersey/pads/glove/uniform of the goaltender.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Originally posted by KC8NIY View Post
      It's nice to talk about positives, isn't it?
      Positives are great. Unfortunately, I keep reminding myself that this was Western. Hopefully the team builds on it and that confidence helps with the next games. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I think that's the 2nd sweep all season, the first one being at Lake State in October. I sure could go for several more sweeps....but I'll take wins and be happy at this point.

So, I thought I was noticing a weird trend...that it seemed when Pateryn played, we won. Curiously, I looked it up...8-4 in the 12 games Pateryn has played (4-6 in games without Pateryn). Not quite as strong of a trend as I thought I had been noticing. I was going to say it was some weird thing like how we couldn't seem to get a win with Sauer in net last year. Pay no attention to me and my Monday morning ramblings.
      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
      7 B1G
      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
      2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
        Positives are great. Unfortunately, I keep reminding myself that this was Western. Hopefully the team builds on it and that confidence helps with the next games. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I think that's the 2nd sweep all season, the first one being at Lake State in October. I sure could go for several more sweeps....but I'll take wins and be happy at this point.

So, I thought I was noticing a weird trend...that it seemed when Pateryn played, we won. Curiously, I looked it up...8-4 in the 12 games Pateryn has played (4-6 in games without Pateryn). Not quite as strong of a trend as I thought I had been noticing. I was going to say it was some weird thing like how we couldn't seem to get a win with Sauer in net last year. Pay no attention to me and my Monday morning ramblings.
        Good points, but this team will be lamenting points they left on the table against other teams that they should have beaten- BG for one, maybe OSU and Notre Dame, especially with all of their injuries at the time. Then again, I am still in the mindset that this is a Michigan team of the past, not the present. Maybe they are just a .500 team, with 6th-10th place possibilities.

You are correct- the only other sweep looks really good right now- LSSU up in the Soo- considering how well they are playing now. The other would be the CHS, probably their best hockey weekend of the season- at least for Hogan.

Oh- and as far as Pateryn- that is an interesting stat. I'd like to see the record with Llewellyn in the lineup or out of the lineup, too. He didn't play on Saturday, not sure about Friday. All's I know is he posted a -4 against RPI and has led us in the "stupid penalty" category this season. (Then again, there is a long line behind him.)

I also think that Chris Summers has had a very non-descript season. Had a good GLI, but has been a turnover machine in games I have attended at Yost.

As far as the rest of the season... one game at a time. They can jump into a 4th place bye spot this weekend with a sweep or fall as low as 10th depending on what other teams do.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
          Curiously, I looked it up...8-4 in the 12 games Pateryn has played (4-6 in games without Pateryn).

I was glad to see this move inserting Pateryn over Llewellyn. I watched the GLI game highlights on mgoblue.com and in both games (RPI and MTU), Llewellyn made big mistakes late in the games.

In the Rensselear loss, the RPI 4th and game winning goal was just brutal from a defensive aspect.
          First, Sparks tries to stickhandle through three opponents at center ice and turns it over.
          Second, Winnett attempts to check the RPI player who stole the puck and whiffs on the check
          Third, Llewellyn does not attempt to check the puck carrying goal scorer into the boards as he skates outside, simply turns around and skates towards the M goal (obviously assuming that the RPI player won't score from such a severe angle, but
          Fourth, when your tiny goalie goes down on a shot and leaves the top half of the net exposed, game over.

In the Michigan Tech game, with Michigan winning 4-2 in the middle of the third, Llewellyn pinched at center ice and allowed MTU to score on a 2-1 break. Not good decisions for a junior.

As far as Chris Summers, he's on target to equal his prior seasons, but isn't likely to as Red says, "Have his best seasons as a senior." Not sure whether Kampfer or Lebler will either in terms of the other seniors. Summers seemed to score most of his goals when playing as a forward with Andrew Cogliano his freshman year in 2006-07. I expected that Summers skating would create more opportunities, and it's good to see the D get more involved since they need to supplement the scoring on this team.

It is interesting to note that five CCHA teams are among the top 9 in GAA on the season so far (1. Miami, 3. Ferris, 5. MSU, 7. N Dame, 9. Michigan). I think this says more about the lack of premier offensive players in the CCHA than goaltending or defense. Even the players who are high draft picks now don't have that wow factor that you would see five years ago. Are there any players that you would pay to see now? Not me, they left early or are in the OHL.

Michigan's PK is also third in the nation.

Discipline and special teams will be crucial over the next six games vs. Alaska, Ferris State and MSU. I anticipate low scoring games where the Power Play and goaltending (no easy goals) will determine the outcomes.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
            Good points, but this team will be lamenting points they left on the table against other teams that they should have beaten- BG for one, maybe OSU and Notre Dame, especially with all of their injuries at the time. Then again, I am still in the mindset that this is a Michigan team of the past, not the present. Maybe they are just a .500 team, with 6th-10th place possibilities.

You are correct- the only other sweep looks really good right now- LSSU up in the Soo- considering how well they are playing now. The other would be the CHS, probably their best hockey weekend of the season- at least for Hogan.

Oh- and as far as Pateryn- that is an interesting stat. I'd like to see the record with Llewellyn in the lineup or out of the lineup, too. He didn't play on Saturday, not sure about Friday. All's I know is he posted a -4 against RPI and has led us in the "stupid penalty" category this season. (Then again, there is a long line behind him.)

I also think that Chris Summers has had a very non-descript season. Had a good GLI, but has been a turnover machine in games I have attended at Yost.

As far as the rest of the season... one game at a time. They can jump into a 4th place bye spot this weekend with a sweep or fall as low as 10th depending on what other teams do.
            Turns out I'll do anything to avoid work today. Looks like we're 9-9 with Tristan and 3-1 without. He does lead the team for "stupid penalties"....especially noticeable when we're already 1 man down.

Agreed on Summers. Burlon is my favorite defensemen this season. He's not a big attention getter, he just gets his job done, and that's my favorite kind of defensemen.

I'm looking forward to the Alaska series and seeing where both teams are now. Fairbanks looked great in the Kendall Classic to start the season...Michigan played that first game pretty flat...but was the Michigan I had expected this season the following day against Anchorage.
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G
            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
            2 Alaskan

Comment

I wish I knew what was the deal with Summers- he's had such great defensive seasons in the past that this year is very unusual. Something about handling the puck- it's almost as if he's trying to do too much, leading toward turn overs.

Burlon is playing well, but it was his mistake on the Saturday goal.

On offense, what's up with Cappy? He's been a very non factor this year. For part of the game, I could not remember if he was 29 or 39 (and I know 39 is Sparks now)- just such little impact from what he has done in the past.

That #1 line was awesome to watch- no idea how adding Lynch made that big of a deal, but they were SO dominant. I know Haglein and Rust have played together for some time- but that was really fun to watch.

I also think Vaughn continues to improve as a forward. He's turning into a good grinder to tire out the other D.

I just hope that Hogan can pull it together so that we are not all worried about a one goal lead (note- Western scored on the 2nd shot).

Comment

Michigan is 4-2 in games I've attended this year. Hopefully 6-2 after next weekend. I think Michigan's tournament run started the first year I had season tickets, and is now in danger of being broken the first year I stop having season tickets. Sorry, everybody.

Power play still needs some work, IMO. One thing they need is to consistently have some presence in front of the net. Lebler and Brown usually do a good job of this, but Lynch was not doing that when he was out with Hagelin and Rust. At one point I came very close to yelling at him to get his *** in front of the ****ing net, and I'm sure I would have if I had more faith in my ability to effectively yell. The other problem I have is the defense not playing on the off-side. Sure, playing your natural side makes it easier to catch passes rimmed around the boards, but it also eliminates the possibility/threat of a one timer on most passes in the shooting umbrella. It's frustrating to continuously see potential shooting lanes close up because our D aren't in position for a one-timer, they have to collect a pass and turn towards the net before they can even think about shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
                  I think Michigan's tournament run started the first year I had season tickets,
                  False.
                  Originally posted by dicaslover
                  Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                  Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                    False.
                    Did we just have the Pick 6 the first year?

Comment

Did we just have the Pick 6 the first year?
                      Football terminology on a hockey forum?
                      Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by UMICHhockeyRULZ View Post
                        Football terminology on a hockey forum?
                        I've been told that at some point in time, instead of having to commit to a full season ticket package, you could pick six games you wanted to get tickets for.

Comment

I wish I knew what was the deal with Summers- he's had such great defensive seasons in the past that this year is very unusual. Something about handling the puck- it's almost as if he's trying to do too much, leading toward turn overs.

Burlon is playing well, but it was his mistake on the Saturday goal.

On offense, what's up with Cappy? He's been a very non factor this year. For part of the game, I could not remember if he was 29 or 39 (and I know 39 is Sparks now)- just such little impact from what he has done in the past.

That #1 line was awesome to watch- no idea how adding Lynch made that big of a deal, but they were SO dominant. I know Haglein and Rust have played together for some time- but that was really fun to watch.

I also think Vaughn continues to improve as a forward. He's turning into a good grinder to tire out the other D.

I just hope that Hogan can pull it together so that we are not all worried about a one goal lead (note- Western scored on the 2nd shot).
                          Summers is feeling that 1000 lb. Gorilla on his back, or that C on his chest.

I'll take Burlon over Llewellyn any day. Sure he made a mistake, but IMO, that 3x1 was caused by a slow line change, too. Hogan didn't position himself too good, either, that shot took forever to hit the net. I thought he could have at least dove at it.

Cappy misses Palushaj.

I wouldn't make much about Lynch being up on the #1 line, afterall, it made Brown look good too- and look what has happened to him since being moved down. Maybe that is why he got moved to Cappy's line.

Scooter is flying right now.

Let's see how this team handles Alaska- and I hope that Michigan can get the lead, nothing like watching a team squeeze the life out of you protecting a 1 goal lead, like the old MSU Mason teams.

Comment

I've been told that at some point in time, instead of having to commit to a full season ticket package, you could pick six games you wanted to get tickets for.
                            So a ticket package...
                            Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Michigan is 4-2 in games I've attended this year. Hopefully 6-2 after next weekend. I think Michigan's tournament run started the first year I had season tickets, and is now in danger of being broken the first year I stop having season tickets. Sorry, everybody.
                              If you started the same time I did- 1990-'91, then yes, that was the first year of the run. That was year 1 of Steve Shields and Co, just post Jeff Norton and Miles O'Conner.

And the year we started C-Ya (thanks Duke), the year we stole a bunch of cheers from Cornell (thanks for coming to the game- that was a great weekend), and the start of the something really special.

Quite the season.

Comment

If you started the same time I did- 1990-'91, then yes, that was the first year of the run. That was year 1 of Steve Shields and Co, just post Jeff Norton and Miles O'Conner.

And the year we started C-Ya (thanks Duke), the year we stole a bunch of cheers from Cornell (thanks for coming to the game- that was a great weekend), and the start of the something really special.

Quite the season.
                                I know when the run started, I'm just not exactly sure when I started because I would've been 3 at the time .

Comment

Working...
                                X