Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI & Union @ Quinnipiac & Princeton (1/8 - 1/10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI & Union @ Quinnipiac & Princeton (1/8 - 1/10)

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    And I thought I was a broken record.......
    What'd you think I'm stupid?
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
      No, I just thought only I had a stuck needle. I've seen you make the ground comment at least 5 times now.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        No, I just thought only I had a stuck needle. I've seen you make the ground comment at least 5 times now.
        I'm not gonna let you poison me.
        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
          That fourth line is going to be a mayhem line. I dig it.
          Great, great team win tonight... 2 shorties ! Great to meet Babo and thanks to her for the ticket!

I was very pleased to see us come out in the 3rd and keep the pedal down...getting the puck in deep, making Q start from behind their net on every rush. The forwards showed a lot toughness tonight playing hard at both ends of the ice. York played well making all of the saves and a few he shouldn't have. He misplayed the lone goal --over committing past one pipe and the guy buried the wraparound...no help from the D on that one.

Q's got a nice barn, not fancy but modern and clean, good sightlines. They chiseled the top off of a windy hill and dug the thing into the bedrock...with new dorms and campus center under construction next door...kinda looks like a ski resort. The wind was whipping tonight, they even have some fancy windmill type contraptions that I assume are making juice, not just looking pretty. I can only imagine what that place is like in the snow..bring yer crampons!
          Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 01-08-2010, 11:29 PM.
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Was the shot total as accurate as it was in the final box score? I only ask because, given the score, it seems crazy that RPI was outshot that badly although I know York was on top of his game. That's the one disconcerting thing I can find from a 4-1 win.
            R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
              Was the shot total as accurate as it was in the final box score? I only ask because, given the score, it seems crazy that RPI was outshot that badly although I know York was on top of his game. That's the one disconcerting thing I can find from a 4-1 win.
              Sure sounded like we were soundly outshot. This has happened now the past 3 games. Hope this is not the norm. We did take a lot of penalties last night and were short handed for about 19 minutes which might explain part of the shot toal.
              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                Geez, why would anyone think that??

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  Sure sounded like we were soundly outshot. This has happened now the past 3 games. Hope this is not the norm. We did take a lot of penalties last night and were short handed for about 19 minutes which might explain part of the shot toal.
                  Not being a statistics person, at first I was surprised RPI was out shot by Q. We were at their end much more frequently. I think the problem is the 'to a fault' selflessness of our players...they were so busy passing at times it seems like they FORGET there's a net to shoot on...

Comment

Originally posted by babo View Post
                    Not being a statistics person, at first I was surprised RPI was out shot by Q. We were at their end much more frequently. I think the problem is the 'to a fault' selflessness of our players...they were so busy passing at times it seems like they FORGET there's a net to shoot on...
                    I agree with this. One that stuck out to me was (I think) Marty O'Grady breaking in shorthanded 2-on-1 with a pretty clear shot, but he tried to pass it through the defenseman to his linemate which got broken up. Put the shot on net and you've got a chance to score or a potential rebound.

Q got a lot of powerplay shots, but for all they got through I think we blocked just as many. Very strong effort by the PK unit throughout the night. I did notice our D get burned by Lampe several times when they tried to take him out of the play at the blue line. The kid is agile and crafty and can take opportunities like that to blow right past defenders and get a break. Fortunately York was up to the task the several times it happened.

Late in the game it looked like the D adjusted to it a little better and there weren't as many bad chances given up to Q. Although they did keep up the pressure in the the third to some extent, there was definitely a bigger focus on defense late in the game.

One thing that worries me a little (although it worked out for us last night) is seeing 3 guys charge into the offensive zone when we're on the PK. While it got us 2 goals last night, it also led to several odd-man rushes back the other way while our guys were caught deep in the zone.
                    APBWiki

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about being outshot. In fact Union was outshot as well last night, though not as dramatically. I know that coaches when breaking down the game film, look for "chances" more so than shots. It really is quality that matters, moreso than quantity in many instances. It seems to me that just shooting the puck can be a sign of hockey "laziness' at times and also a lack of creativity in creating and looking for shooting lanes and scoring chances.

Comment

Also about last night...I thought our stick work on the fore check was superb. It seems as the boys got rid of their 'bus legs' they were winning the little battles and frustrating Q at times. Our passing on the break out made me want to scream, however. Saucers aren't always the answer! And if I saw it once, I saw it a gajillion times: a forward standing still on his own blue line, facing his own goalie waiting for a pass...THAT'S an invitation to a concussion

Also, use of the point on the PP is a bugaboo for me (I live with defensemen so I'm a bit biased)...the forwards seemed to have to work SO hard while their D-men were WIDE open...thus the lack of shots on goal...

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                          I wouldn't worry too much about being outshot. In fact Union was outshot as well last night, though not as dramatically. I know that coaches when breaking down the game film, look for "chances" more so than shots. It really is quality that matters, moreso than quantity in many instances. It seems to me that just shooting the puck can be a sign of hockey "laziness' at times and also a lack of creativity in creating and looking for shooting lanes and scoring chances.
                          I agree. I was at the game and RPI was outshot by a largr margin but the Q was racking up the shots on goal with alot of low% shots. Granted they had 3-5 glorious chances but most were not. My son was watching the shots on goal on the scoreboard and noticed they were alot slower to tick up the shot counter for RPI. The q doesn`t look to be nearly as good as they were when I last saw them on NESN vs Harvard. I think Union will handle them tonight.There goaltending was neither lucky or good last night.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            Not too much to worry about Doc. The shots were not very dangerous except for the breakaways (at least three). York took care of those and was very good on everything else. I only noticed one time when he was not sure where the rebound was going. Great game by him.
                            Penalty kill was great. Not just the goals, but I haven't seen an RPI team play with that kind of enthusiam and tenacity on the PK ever. Expecially the 5 minute major. They were awesome. Overall a very good game. expecially on the road.
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by babo View Post
                              Also about last night...I thought our stick work on the fore check was superb. It seems as the boys got rid of their 'bus legs' they were winning the little battles and frustrating Q at times. Our passing on the break out made me want to scream, however. Saucers aren't always the answer! And if I saw it once, I saw it a gajillion times: a forward standing still on his own blue line, facing his own goalie waiting for a pass...THAT'S an invitation to a concussion

Also, use of the point on the PP is a bugaboo for me (I live with defensemen so I'm a bit biased)...the forwards seemed to have to work SO hard while their D-men were WIDE open...thus the lack of shots on goal...
                              I agree with your comments about the point men on the PP, but even when they do get the puck, they just pass it down to the forwards. I amsure that that is the way the coaches want it. I would like to see them shoot more myself.

Were you sitting near the top of section 113 last night? I saw a woman in a fur coat, but figured if I asked if she were Babo and she was not, I might get injured.
                              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                              Benjamin Franklin
                              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                              Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                                I agree with your comments about the point men on the PP, but even when they do get the puck, they just pass it down to the forwards. I amsure that that is the way the coaches want it. I would like to see them shoot more myself.

Were you sitting near the top of section 113 last night? I saw a woman in a fur coat, but figured if I asked if she were Babo and she was not, I might get injured.
                                HAHAHA! No (so it's good you didn't ask ) I was with Wicked Slappahs in Section 115...I prefer to sit in a corner seat so there are no blind spots but where we were was fine...we had quite a few Engineer faithful by us...small but very vocal bunch!

Comment

Working...
                                X