Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota @ Ohio State: 3/7 & 3/8

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    That's fine. I can use a break from all the criticism of Boyd...or whoever it is today.

I do find it silly getting on Reilly's back when the whole team was going through a let down. Why would you give garbage to our top scorer when he's covering for others who aren't contributing (and this when he's on D). So they ignore this...and only discuss his defense play. Well he's still the plus/minus leader so it seems to me he's doing excellent overall and will still be a hobey finalist. OK...done
    Have you noticed Boyd has been targeted by teams lately and taken some nasty on ice hits? Gopher fans ripping on Boyd is asinine. He's a key player who has elevated his game beyond expectations. Two years ago he was a role player, some referring to him as a "lunch pail" guy and now he's the leading scorer on the Gophers and third in the B1G. I have absolutely no problem with his game. The man is a warrior and he's done a good job in rallying the troops as a senior assistant captain. I'd go so far as to say if Boyd doesn't have a career season, the Gophers are irrelevant this year...guaranteed.

There's no question M. Reilly is a multi-talented guy and this is most likely his last season with the Gophers. IMO his personal challenge this season has been how to balance his offensive skills with his defensive responsibilities. Arguably, he showboats a little at times but I've noticed over the last few games he's settled into focusing more on his D responsibilities and has improved. As an offensive D, he leads all D in the nation in As and Pts, and is #1 in the B1G in As. There's little doubt he's the BEST offensive D in the NCAA this season and I agree he deserves to be a Hobey finalist.

Comment

No one took any shots at Boyd and the Reilly criticism was quite minimal.

Comment

Weekend preview from Gophersports

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...030415aaa.html

The No. 15 Gopher Hockey program continues the 2014-15 campaign this weekend with its final road trip of the regular-season, heading to Columbus for a two-game Big Ten series with Ohio State. Friday's series opener is set for 4:02 p.m. CT on ESPNU while Saturday's series finale is scheduled for 5:02 p.m. CT on ESPNews. 1500 ESPN and the Gopher Radio Network will also broadcast both games.
        Originally posted by CavalryNate
        Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
        sigpic

Comment

Chances are this weekend series between the Gophers and THE Ohio State University won’t look much at all like their last clash of the clans. Since being swept by the Gophers four weeks ago, Rohlik and his Buckeyes have had THAT talk and are hoping for more than a déjà vu experience. Since their last meeting, both teams are 4-2 against nearly the same B1G opponents. But in scoring, Ohio State comes out ahead averaging 3.7 GPG vs the Gophers 3.3. OSU players attribute their resurgence to shifting gear into “desperate playoff" mode.

Junior defenseman Sam Jardine said OSU’s new found intensity is because of the Buckeyes’ playoff mentality. “We’ve been talking about playing desperate playoff hockey,” Jardine said. “And that’s what happens (when) the intensity picks up, the physicality picks up, blocking shots, it’s just a by-product of us wanting it a little bit more.”
          Speaking of blocking shots, much like last weekend vs Sparty, the Gophers will be facing one of the premier shot blocking teams in the NCAA. The Buckeyes rank #6 in total blocked shots (Gophers/#43), averaging 17 blocks/game in their last 6. Oddly enough, that was exactly OSU’s average against the Gophers when they tangled at Mariucci just a month ago.

However, the B1G difference was the PP for MN and it was sizzling hot with the Gophers scoring 5 PPG in 8 attempts (a stunning 62.5 PP%) in the weekend sweep. The 2 PPG on Friday proved to be the difference in a 4-2 Gopher win; and the 3 PPG on Sat. including a hat trick by Travis Boyd smothered the Buckeyes 6-2. But OSU, whose lowly 73.6% PK currently ranks 57th, has tightened their belts lately allowing only 2 PPG in 13 attempts for an 84% PK in their last 6 outings. Combine that with the Buckeyes #2 NCAA ranking of allowing only 202 PP shot attempts vs the Gophers #1 PP in the nation at 30.1% and we’ve got a potential rumble in Columbus this weekend. Both teams are relatively even in even strength scoring with OSU at 68 Gs and MN at 71 with the Gophers playing 2 more games (32) than the Buckeyes (30).

These are MUST wins for both teams who are looking to ramp up their respective squads for the B1G playoffs starting in two weeks at the Joe in Detroit. For the Gophers, despite a poor road record (4-6-2), there’s no question this is a MUST road sweep if they intend to stay relevant in the PWR and the B1G standings down the stretch. My three keys to a Gopher sweep are: 1) The Gopher D must keep guys like Fritz, Greco, Johnson and Schilkey on the perimeter, 2) The Gophers must match their desperate playoff intensity with a strong dose of their own and 3) Adam Wilcox. Go Gophers!

Comment

Game day?
            You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Originally posted by captain beefheart View Post
              Game day?
              gulp
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Going to see the State High School semifinals, and won't watch until late this evening when I return. In the meantime....
                Good luck boys!
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

They need to let Bucci just Vin Scully these broadcasts and one man it. The color guy he gets paired with never knows what's going on and always seems to be asking Bucci for confirmation of things he's saying. Dude, you're supposed to be the expert.
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Solid road win tonight.

Need to take care of business tomorrow and get the sweep.
                    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                    sigpic

Comment

They showed the game on TSN up here in Canada. Since TSN lost their contract with the NHL they are showing NCAA games to help fill the void.

Question. Why does Minnesota have to travel to Ohio even though they are the higher seed?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                        They showed the game on TSN up here in Canada. Since TSN lost their contract with the NHL they are showing NCAA games to help fill the void.

Question. Why does Minnesota have to travel to Ohio even though they are the higher seed?
                        It is still the regular season, not playoffs yet.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                          It is still the regular season, not playoffs yet.

.........and that would be the reason why.

Sorry, I usually only follow Hockey East.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                            .........and that would be the reason why.

Sorry, I usually only follow Hockey East.
                            That was your first mistake.

Comment

A very solid win tonight. Gophers worked hard and were definitely the better team....tonight. But how frustrating was it when they allowed two 'oh-too-quick' comeback tallies by the Buckeyes? Thankfully, when they scored the third one they did not allow that pattern to repeat yet again.

I pray for the same kind of effort tomorrow, need to keep winning.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                                OSU players attribute their resurgence to shifting gear into “desperate playoff" mode...These are MUST wins for both teams who are looking to ramp up their respective squads for the B1G playoffs starting in two weeks at the Joe in Detroit.
                                As things have played out, the standings points aren't relevant from an OSU point of view. There's no realistic scenario where we move either up or down in the standings. Otherwise, yes.

Originally posted by HarleyMC
                                My three keys to a Gopher sweep are: 1) The Gopher D must keep guys like Fritz, Greco, Johnson and Schilkey on the perimeter, 2) The Gophers must match their desperate playoff intensity with a strong dose of their own and 3) Adam Wilcox.
                                Spot on, and I'd say the Gophers accomplished all three objectives Friday. Wilcox is Wilcox again. On several difficult saves I'm still scratching my head as to how he prevented any rebound.

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                                Solid road win tonight.
                                And to bring this full circle, a solid playoff mode win for you guys. Closing things out in the third period was impressive. The Buckeyes brought a lot of pressure, particularly during the 3:30 of Extra Attacker time. But the Gophers weathered the storm pretty nicely, essentially following Harley's formula. Bodes well for your post-season chances.

Oh, and while Gopher firepower hasn't been an issue, gotta tip the cap to Ambroz for his tip. Not sure if the puck went off the shaft or heel of his stick, but it didn't hit tape. He made a difficult play look effortless.

As for the Buckeyes, I'm not sure the game plan needs any major adjustments. If we can get a bounce and grab a lead, I'd say tonight's game will be very interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X