Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota @ Ohio State: 3/7 & 3/8

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    Make no apologies, Koho. I totally relate to this.

Before the conference realignment, I used to record non-CCHA games of interest. Gopher & Badger games were at the top of that list. I figured I'd be fine for days, given that local coverage was limited to the CCHA. I can't tell you how many times I had games spoiled by comments, calls and e-mails -- from friends both here and elsewhere. E-mails wouldn't have to be a problem, except the spoiler would appear in the d@#n subject line!

And your Dad isn't the only bad poker player out there. I once had a buddy say: "I won't tell you about the outcome, I'll just say there's something really special about this game." After my team had taken an early lead, I watched the rest of regulation time in misery -- knowing full well we were going to overtime.

People have gotten better about this over the years, but still...

Then there's Buckeye Football. Unless you're in a sensory deprivation chamber, forget it. Time shifting is impossible. No words need to be exchanged. You can tell by people's body language how the game turned out. Extra bounce in the step vs. slumped over shoulders.
    During the first round of the NHL Playoffs last year I was at a wedding. It was game 2 of the Wild/Avs series (I believe). Well the reception hall had a bar and a bunch of guys kept sneaking in there to watch the game. I flat out told them I DID NOT WANT SCORE UPDATES. Yet every time the one guy came back he told me what the score was. I went home basically knowing the Wild were going to lose in OT. Made the DVR less enjoyable.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      Was impressed by Greco in the series here.
      Agreed. Overall tOSU was not good that weekend but Greco definitely stood out.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

I think OSU would finish above michigan state, penn state and of course becky if the B1G season was a month longer. They are playing some decent hockey and can score some goals. Greco is fast.

Gophers better be ready to skate.

Comment

After sweeping Penn State, Ohio State Uinversity seems to be looking forward and ramping up their game. The Gopher's will be facing an OSU team this weekend eager to find its true potential:

Sophomore goaltender Christian Frey led the way for the Buckeyes defensively, saving 70 shots in the series. “He’s been pretty good for us, there’s no question,” coach Steve Rohlik said. “He’s steady, he’s comfortable. Right now all we’re asking is that he gives us a chance and he’s certainly giving us a chance every night.” The Arlington, Texas, native credited the defense for his success. “They were doing a lot in front of me,” Frey said. “They are always blocking shots and clearing the shots in front of me.”

The defense amplified its intensity throughout the series, limiting Penn State to 27 shots on Saturday. Junior defenseman Sam Jardine said OSU’s newfound intensity is because of the Buckeyes’ playoff mentality. “We’ve been talking about playing desperate playoff hockey,” Jardine said. “And that’s what happens (when) the intensity picks up, the physicality picks up, blocking shots, it’s just a by-product of us wanting it a little bit more.”

Even though the Buckeyes were successful this weekend, Fritz said OSU isn’t taking time off, as the team is beginning to prepare for Minnesota this coming weekend. “(The win) just builds confidence going into next weekend, but as coach says, preparation starts Monday,” he said. Rohlik is finally able to see what his team is capable of producing as the Buckeyes took on Penn State with a healthy roster. “I envisioned what this team was and I don’t think we had the opportunity these last couple months for injury reasons and different things like that,” Rohlik said. “But these guys stayed with it and this is the time to peak. We’re excited and we know we have some huge challenges ahead of us but were just going to take it one step at a time, one game at a time. That’s our attitude.”

Comment

I didn't realize Frey was only a sophomore. He could do some damage in the B1G if he sticks around. He's not flashy from what I've watched of tOSU, but he's solid.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
              I didn't realize Frey was only a sophomore. He could do some damage in the B1G if he sticks around. He's not flashy from what I've watched of tOSU, but he's solid.
              He looked solid last weekend against a very tenacious Penn State squad. Frey was between the pipes last season when OSU eliminated the Gophers in the first round of the B1G playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                He looked solid last weekend against a very tenacious Penn State squad. Frey was between the pipes last season when OSU eliminated the Gophers in the first round of the B1G playoffs.
                And he looked **** good for the majority of the championship game against sconnie. Almost stole that game for tOSU. I feel like it was a lot of defensive breakdowns in front of him, but I don't remember for sure.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Agreed with everyone on OSU here. But the Gophers outside of this last game still should sweep even an improved OSU. The Gophers have been on fire. With the operative words 'have been'.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Agreed with everyone on OSU here. But the Gophers outside of this last game still should sweep even an improved OSU. The Gophers have been on fire. With the operative words 'have been'.
                    Gophers have not been a good road team this year (4-6-2). They better have the pedal to the metal all weekend. Got a feeling Rohlik and co. is preparing OSU to do some serious damage this weekend to right their ship.

Comment

Ohio state has played some decent hockey since that series in Minneapolis. Frey has been very solid since Christmas. We are starting to see a couple of lines get going and the team as a whole cut down on the mistakes they are making. Greco was definitely the best ohio state player on the ice in that series up in minneapolis and now he is getting help from Fritz, Weis and Schilkey. They lost the top 2 scorers on the team and it seems like the guys who were here last year are now stepping up and producing. I know they are stuck in 5th barring a miracle of sweeping you guys and Wisconsin plus Penn State losing the last 4 but i like they way they are playing. Once we get to Detroit anything can happen in a 1 game shot.

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                        Ohio state has played some decent hockey since that series in Minneapolis. Frey has been very solid since Christmas. We are starting to see a couple of lines get going and the team as a whole cut down on the mistakes they are making. Greco was definitely the best ohio state player on the ice in that series up in minneapolis and now he is getting help from Fritz, Weis and Schilkey. They lost the top 2 scorers on the team and it seems like the guys who were here last year are now stepping up and producing. I know they are stuck in 5th barring a miracle of sweeping you guys and Wisconsin plus Penn State losing the last 4 but i like they way they are playing. Once we get to Detroit anything can happen in a 1 game shot.
                        I noticed Greco was on the second line for a while on Sat. and then Rohlik switched up and put on the first with Johnson and Fritz. That's a strong line and I'm guessing we'll see more of it this weekend. Lampasso is an impressive freshman who skates like he's always in fifth gear.

Comment

Dang, now GPL is down.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                            Gophers have not been a good road team this year (4-6-2). They better have the pedal to the metal all weekend. Got a feeling Rohlik and co. is preparing OSU to do some serious damage this weekend to right their ship.
                            True. But they were a good road team in February (admittedly just one series ). At PSU, the Gophers could easily have had a sweep (and deserved no less than a W and a T) against a PSU team that was 11-1-3 at home. Maybe its just me, but after this weekend I'm just more concerned that the Gophers don't have the same fire we saw throughout the rest of February.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                              Dang, now GPL is down.
                              That's fine. I can use a break from all the criticism of Boyd...or whoever it is today.

I do find it silly getting on Reilly's back when the whole team was going through a let down. Why would you give garbage to our top scorer when he's covering for others who aren't contributing (and this when he's on D). So they ignore this...and only discuss his defense play. Well he's still the plus/minus leader so it seems to me he's doing excellent overall and will still be a hobey finalist. OK...done
                              Last edited by 5mn_Major; 03-04-2015, 12:50 PM.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

That's fine. I can use a break from all the criticism of Boyd...or whoever it is today.

I do find it silly getting on Reilly's back when the whole team was going through a let down. Why would you give garbage to our top scorer when he's covering for others who aren't contributing (and this when he's on D). So they ignore this...and only discuss his defense play. Well he's still the plus/minus leader so it seems to me he's doing excellent overall and will still be a hobey finalist. OK...done
                                Haven't looked at GPL today or most of yesterday. I assume the Boyd comment was sarcasm? Or was someone actually critical?

Comment

Working...
                                X