Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5mn_Major
    replied
    Re: Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
    I know the cool thing to do on that other site (gpl) is to bash the Gophers every time they don't win 10-0. And god forbid if they only win 3-2 or 2-1 over a seemingly "inferior" opponent, may as well shut that site down after that. Though I do love reading all the "world is coming to an end" posts on there. Amusing and sad really.
    Holy smokes was I crucified for suggesting we consider playing a defenseman at forward early in the year. We should ask Glover how that turned out.

Love the running of the site, Jup is an all star...but the poster criticisms are ceaseless.

Leave a comment:

• Happy
    replied

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
    Losing to them on home ice during a key stretch is not excusable in my book. Outshot, etc. Not good.

It'd be amusing if the criticism wasn't typically warranted this year. This is a team that has too much ability on it to be sitting on the bubble right now (or having to sweat it out in the final game of the season to win the B1G). If you think this team hasn't underachieved for the bulk of this season, then you must have had rather low expectations for them coming into it. This is a team that was the NCAA runner up last season and was returning the vast majority of its key players.

The "parity" in the B1G this year has been more like a bad comedy.
    I laugh every time I look at Wisconsin.

Leave a comment:

• Hammy
    replied

Michigan State has 5 losses since January 1st, I actually think they are a decent team with a great goalie. Losing to them isn't the end of the world.
    Losing to them on home ice during a key stretch is not excusable in my book. Outshot, etc. Not good.

I know the cool thing to do on that other site (gpl) is to bash the Gophers every time they don't win 10-0. And god forbid if they only win 3-2 or 2-1 over a seemingly "inferior" opponent, may as well shut that site down after that. Though I do love reading all the "world is coming to an end" posts on there. Amusing and sad really.
    It'd be amusing if the criticism wasn't typically warranted this year. This is a team that has too much ability on it to be sitting on the bubble right now (or having to sweat it out in the final game of the season to win the B1G). If you think this team hasn't underachieved for the bulk of this season, then you must have had rather low expectations for them coming into it. This is a team that was the NCAA runner up last season and was returning the vast majority of its key players.

This isn't the 80's or 90's college hockey where the gap between the haves and have nots was huge. Parity runs through college hockey today, yes even in the B1G.
    The "parity" in the B1G this year has been more like a bad comedy.

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied

This isn't the 80's or 90's college hockey where the gap between the haves and have nots was huge.
    Explained in part by the vast improvement of each team's 3rd and 4th lines, relative to the level they were at in the 80's and 90's. And maybe most important is the drastically improved goaltending - more quality tenders to spread around.

Leave a comment:

• SanTropez
    replied

Michigan State has 5 losses since January 1st, I actually think they are a decent team with a great goalie. Losing to them isn't the end of the world.

This isn't the 80's or 90's college hockey where the gap between the haves and have nots was huge. Parity runs through college hockey today, yes even in the B1G.

Leave a comment:

• Hammy
    replied

7-3 in the last 10 games. Yes, starting to click.
    The Gophers have played two games since November against teams that are currently in the top 20 of the pairwise. Given the competition quality, I am not sure how much stock I'm willing to put in to the "starting to click" stuff. Especially after getting beaten by a weak OSU team the week prior and splitting at home vs Michigan State the week before that.
    Last edited by Hammy; 03-16-2015, 02:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Stauber1
    replied

That Ferris-Mankato game is one of the big pieces to give MN a margin for error, especially so if BGSU beats Tech that afternoon.

It would be great to see a boat load of Gopher fans at the X Friday night to cheer on the purple cows.

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

I think its safe to say the Gophers have been quite good but quite inconsistent. Right now it seems like we could/should roll through the tourney. But we thought this in the past and came up supremely flat...and we seem to always have trouble for MSU. I'm hoping we see a strong yet tired MI team (they did everything they wanted against MSU but put the puck in the net).

Leave a comment:

• Bonin21
    replied

Three absolutely pathetic losses. 7-3 is not that great of a run given the opponents.

Leave a comment:

• SanTropez
    replied

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
    Starting to click? The Gophers have looked good for only two games in a row.

7-3 in the last 10 games. Yes, starting to click.

Leave a comment:

• Bonin21
    replied

Starting to click? The Gophers have looked good for only two games in a row.

Leave a comment:

• SanTropez
    replied

I think the Gophers will get in because we are going to win the B1G tourney. We are starting to click, Wilcox is looking much better and we are getting goals from guys who were quiet a chunk of the year but are starting to put the puck in the net.

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

So they're worthless.
    If you want, all PWR prediction is worthless. But this is at least directional...saying the outcome of every game is 50/50 is worthless.

Leave a comment:

• Bonin21
    replied

Save us, Curly Haired BU Jesus.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied

I don't really play with it until after Friday's games. Scary that we'll have to play with it even if the Gophers win.
    I honestly don't think MN is going to have trouble getting in, and I really don't think it matters a ton what happens to them in the first game.

I suspect their fate will be determined by Quinnipiac, BU and Mankato. Those three teams lose in the first round, I'd start sweating. But if they win, you guys are golden.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X