Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handyman
    replied
    Re: Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

While I generally think the groupthink on GPL is over the top these days this idea that people are "shouted down" is pretty laughable. When we said the idea was dumb it was. There was no point in moving a D to forward at the time, it was only being suggested because talented players were sitting and we cant have that because...think of the children. The team wasnt playing bad (in fact they were playing pretty well at the time) and it seemed like an "I am smarter than the coach because I post on a message board and play NHL '95 and it works there" move. It is like when people suggest a movie star they like for a role in a movie, it is all fancasting.

If a D had been playing on the 4th line regularly do you honestly think the team is in a better position? If not, then you just admitted to exactly what we all told you.

Leave a comment:

• Driftryder
    replied

I think the Glover move was good for that 4th line, they seem to be providing more of what a 4th line should now.

Hammy (or anyone who knows) - When Glover moves back to D next year, I am curious what type of D man is he? (shutdown type, offense D etc...) Didn't really get to see a whole lot out of him on D this season.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
    You must have made up for lost time fast! You have more posts than I have there and I was there on Day 1.
    I have made up for lost time. Not my intent, but it happens.

Leave a comment:

• Hammy
    replied

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Point of order: most of my posts relating to actual hockey are rather small. It's a more knowledgeable board compared to this one, as far as team specifics. I lurk in those threads; read, learn, absorb, speak out when I have something that really needs to be said. Plus, I lurked there MUCH longer than I lurked here, before I started really posting. I prob posted more on GPL in the last couple years than here.
    You must have made up for lost time fast! You have more posts than I have there and I was there on Day 1.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

And this has stopped you from posting 10000+ times over there?
    Point of order: most of my posts relating to actual hockey are rather small. It's a more knowledgeable board compared to this one, as far as team specifics. I lurk in those threads; read, learn, absorb, speak out when I have something that really needs to be said. Plus, I lurked there MUCH longer than I lurked here, before I started really posting. I prob posted more on GPL in the last couple years than here.

Leave a comment:

• Hammy
    replied

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    ^^^^

Yup.
    And this has stopped you from posting 10000+ times over there?

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied

They were both recruiting miscues. There is simply no other way to put it. It's not really their fault. They got an offer from their top choice and you can't blame them for taking it. It was just an incorrect assessment (esp. John Hill) at the time. These are guys that were never intended on being 4th line, low scoring types when they were recruited. The vision was for something different and it was miscalculation.
    I think this is spot on, but the important thing now is that they, along with Glover, have been filling a critical role with their play as of late. They are finding ways to keep the puck in the other end and are giving up very few good scoring chances when it's in our end, exactly what a good 4th line is supposed to do.

Leave a comment:

• Hammy
    replied

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
    Hmm...I don't think disagreement is the issue; it's the way the disagreement is raised and delivered in a manner that seems more interested in shouting down than it does in producing a worthwhile discussion.
    I guess every individual's experience will differ depending on how they carry themselves. I doubt it is simply a one way street. There has been plenty of commentary there from a UND fan lately ("Mafiaman") and obviously he isn't going to see eye to eye with your average Gopher fan. Yet he seems to be doing just fine posting there. If a UND fan can carry himself in pretty decent order there and not feel like he is being "shouted down", I don't see why anybody else shouldn't be capable of the same.

Leave a comment:

• Hammy
    replied

That whole line has been looking pretty good. Glover has definitely been a part of that.
    I'm a big fan of R Reilly and the energy he brings, and was a little dubious when he continued to be left out of the line-up after his brother went down. But the coaching staff clearly knows what they are doing.
    I think the coaches did the right thing by giving the lower forwards ample opportunity to show what they can provide before going to the measure of playing a D up front. If you put a young D at forward early in the year, it is going to hurt their transition to some extent. Not only will they feel like they weren't given a fair chance to compete for ice time at their "main position" (which never helps in the attitude department) but it will likely hurt the team should injury occur and they need to shuffle that young guy back to D again. At least we know Glover has had ample time to work on D should it be required he go back there in a pinch and now can get some ice time up front where it is needed.

I also thought Michaelson had his best game that I've ever seen from him on Saturday. He showed some flashes of that high-end quality he was recruited for and has struggled to live up to. It's good to see. Both he and Isackson have been subjected to some unfairly harsh criticism in my opinion, so I enjoy seeing them contribute.
    They were both recruiting miscues. There is simply no other way to put it. It's not really their fault. They got an offer from their top choice and you can't blame them for taking it. It was just an incorrect assessment (esp. John Hill) at the time. These are guys that were never intended on being 4th line, low scoring types when they were recruited. The vision was for something different and it was miscalculation.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Hmm...I don't think disagreement is the issue; it's the way the disagreement is raised and delivered in a manner that seems more interested in shouting down than it does in producing a worthwhile discussion.
    ^^^^

Yup.

Leave a comment:

• Stauber1
    replied

I guess I get confused what these boards are good for if all you want are people that regurgitate the same views and there is never any difference in opinion, etc.

Anybody that throws out an opinion should at least be prepared for naysayers, etc. If you expect anything less, then you probably shouldn't spend any time posting because it is inevitably going to happen. You just have to have thick skin about it.

Leave a comment:

• Hammy
    replied

I guess I get confused what these boards are good for if all you want are people that regurgitate the same views and there is never any difference in opinion, etc.

Anybody that throws out an opinion should at least be prepared for naysayers, etc. If you expect anything less, then you probably shouldn't spend any time posting because it is inevitably going to happen. You just have to have thick skin about it.

Leave a comment:

• Stauber1
    replied

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Holy smokes was I crucified for suggesting we consider playing a defenseman at forward early in the year. We should ask Glover how that turned out.

Love the running of the site, Jup is an all star...but the poster criticisms are ceaseless.
    That whole line has been looking pretty good. Glover has definitely been a part of that.
    I'm a big fan of R Reilly and the energy he brings, and was a little dubious when he continued to be left out of the line-up after his brother went down. But the coaching staff clearly knows what they are doing.

I also thought Michaelson had his best game that I've ever seen from him on Saturday. He showed some flashes of that high-end quality he was recruited for and has struggled to live up to. It's good to see. Both he and Isackson have been subjected to some unfairly harsh criticism in my opinion, so I enjoy seeing them contribute.

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied

Congrats to Mike Reilly on winning the Big Ten hockey Defensive Player of the Year award. Other Gopher award winners are named here:
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/bl...ml#commentHere

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Holy smokes was I crucified for suggesting we consider playing a defenseman at forward early in the year. We should ask Glover how that turned out.

Love the running of the site, Jup is an all star...but the poster criticisms are ceaseless.
    Most of the "bigger" posters laugh at the criticism as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X