Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Guess he didn't read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
      Guess he didn't read it.
      Guess I waited too long to write it.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
        Guess I waited too long to write it.
        I tried... Now quick, write something more on Fasching!
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
          a couple on GPL seem to have the attitude of 'fine if they all leave' as if Gophs would be better off. Not me.
          Exhibit A of why I wouldn't trust player judgement to too many there. Reilly was a very rare talent by leading a team in scoring whose losses 3 out of 4 times come from scoring droughts. Its a coaches job to create situations and line combos to turn that into a huge competitive advantage. This year we had other issues.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            This year we had other issues.
            Ah, the oft-alluded to "other issues" that supposedly contributed to this team's underachievement. Hopefully they were a one-year thing.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              Ah, the oft-alluded to "other issues" that supposedly contributed to this team's underachievement. Hopefully they were a one-year thing.
              We all hope so.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Yeah. Different/Additional issues next year. Just don't appear to have the horses that we've been blessed with over the last 5 years. It should turn around when we get Wait, Reedy and Middlestadt on campus.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  Just don't appear to have the horses that we've been blessed with over the last 5 years.
                  I can only say that any number of teams have achieved more with less that this year's team did. Certainly the coaching will need to do a better job with the talent they do have and the veteran players/captains will need to provide the necessary leadership so the team's attitude remains positive throughout the entire season. If so I see no reason why next year's team cannot exceed expectations.

Comment

Unfortunately, they'll have to massively exceed expectations to be in the title discussion.

Comment

I can only say that any number of teams have achieved more with less that this year's team did.
                      Very true. Many heavily criticized Eaves for his team's play this year (ok...it was pretty abysmal). But his team's play last year, when it was loaded with seniors, was quite poor and was more in line with what we managed this year.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                        Unfortunately, they'll have to massively exceed expectations to be in the title discussion.
                        After watching Omaha earlier this evening, there is no doubt in my mind that a similarly young Gopher team could conceivably make it to the Frozen Four next season. I realize that for most any team to make it that far things have to break your way in critical games. Plus you need great goaltending, not only skill but a lot of luck in your end (pipes, missed open nets, tips going just wide, etc.). But really if a much less talented Omaha team can make it as far as they did with a freshmen and sophomore dominated lineup there is no reason why the Gophers can't make it further than they did this year. At a minimum that gives me some reason to be more optimistic than I probably should be...

That said, even this year's team, with all of their experienced and talented NHL draft choices, would have had to have played their best game of the season to compete with either UND or BU, the way both of those teams competed in the second semifinal this evening. I just thought the compete level of both of those teams was off the charts, and with that - plus the talent level both of these teams possess - there was very little likelihood that even this year's Gophers squad could have beaten either one, even at their best.

So that brings my optimism down a couple of notches regarding next season, when both our talent and experience levels will be down. They will clearly need all of the dedication, determination and team chemistry that they can possibly muster to even match what this year's team accomplished. But if they can somehow do that and even then some, it would be real fun to watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                          Very true. Many heavily criticized Eaves for his team's play this year (ok...it was pretty abysmal). But his team's play last year, when it was loaded with seniors, was quite poor and was more in line with what we managed this year.
                          lolwut

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            lolwut
                            In grown ups words?
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

I see similarities between the two teams. That badger team came in as a potential champ candidate like we did this year. Ended up with the same conference winning percentage.

Comment

It'll be interesting to watch and see how he does at the World Championships next month.

Mike Reilly picks up All-USCHO honors, officially named to U.S. men's national team
                                http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/299743681.html

Comment

Working...
                                X