Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Originally posted by jimmie2dog View Post
    The best team in the Big Ten is #4 in Minnesota
    Not so sure the Gophers would win a three or seven game series with Bemidji.

Comment

If they showed effort, they COULD beat anyone in the country. Actual results? If they lost, it'd be close. Very close. That is not tArrogance. That is fact. However, like many Gopher teams in the past, they think they can get by with just being the Gophers.

The down-year teams from a couple years ago? I wouldn't be saying the same thing, for the record.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by JoeGopher View Post
        One of my bigger questions is, what are they doing about scheduling tougher non-conference next year? I saw a preliminary lineup for the Mariucci Classic, and all I can say is wow. I realize some of the teams scheduled this year had down years (BC and ND) but I don't have a lot of faith that the B1G will get to the point next year that they will be tested night in and out like in the WCHA.

With the exception of UMD and JBSU, there weren't any other games agains NACHO teams, and while I understand the desire to keep home games, sometimes you have to sacrifice and make a trip somewhere to get someone coming in here.
        Next years schedule will look very similar to this years. With the set up with the other MN teams and the NSCC, there's really only room on the schedule for two other NC series and the Mariucci Classic, and the scheduling agreements are made years in advance.

Next year, Northeastern will play at MN as part of the 4 year deal with BC/NE. (BC came to MN last year, MN will do a weekend at BC/NE again in 2016/17).

I believe there is still one more year on the scheduling deal with Notre Dame, although I'm not certain about that one.

Otherwise, next year the Gophers will again do home/home splits with SCSU and Duluth again, and host Mankato.

There really won't even be much of a difference in 2016, except that they'll trade out Notre Dame for North Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowheresville View Post
          Next years schedule will look very similar to this years. With the set up with the other MN teams and the NSCC, there's really only room on the schedule for two other NC series and the Mariucci Classic, and the scheduling agreements are made years in advance.

Next year, Northeastern will play at MN as part of the 4 year deal with BC/NE. (BC came to MN last year, MN will do a weekend at BC/NE again in 2016/17).

I believe there is still one more year on the scheduling deal with Notre Dame, although I'm not certain about that one.

Otherwise, next year the Gophers will again do home/home splits with SCSU and Duluth again, and host Mankato.

There really won't even be much of a difference in 2016, except that they'll trade out Notre Dame for North Dakota.
          There are rumors of MTU for the Mariucci Classic, but GLI conflicts are in play for MTU.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmie2dog View Post
            The best team in the Big Ten is #4 in Minnesota
            Would that put them behind Mankato choking to RIT?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeGopher View Post
              One of my bigger questions is, what are they doing about scheduling tougher non-conference next year? I saw a preliminary lineup for the Mariucci Classic, and all I can say is wow. I realize some of the teams scheduled this year had down years (BC and ND) but I don't have a lot of faith that the B1G will get to the point next year that they will be tested night in and out like in the WCHA.

With the exception of UMD and JBSU, there weren't any other games agains NACHO teams, and while I understand the desire to keep home games, sometimes you have to sacrifice and make a trip somewhere to get someone coming in here.
              I don't think the non-conference schedule is/was much of a concern. 8 of their 16 non-conference games this year were against teams that earned at-large bids to the NCAA tournament. The problem is 6 of those 8 were played before November was over. The last 16 games of the year (and 20 of the last 22) heading into the NCAAs were against very average competition, and improving your non-conf schedule does nothing to remedy that problem.

I was surprised by just how thoroughly MN were outplayed and outshot through the majority of the game yesterday, but I can't say I was too surprised by the final result. This team had issues with consistency, scoring 5on5, defensively, and with leadership; while they overcame those enough to have some success against the average teams of the Big10, there were serious questions in my mind as to what would happen if they made it to the NCAA Tournament.

It was good to see them finish off league play on a high note, and I hope the seniors feel good about the 4 conference championships they won in their time here. That's a pretty cool accomplishment. And I'm going to miss having the opportunity of watching those guys.
              But with the expectations and personnel heading into the year, there's no point in pretending the season wasn't a disappointment.

Comment

New chant for next year for the gophers....... Bulldog rejects...... Bulldog rejects.... Bulldog rejects

Comment

Ambroz first to sign:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/297897601.html

Good luck in your pro career, Seth!
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

And Rau is the second:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/297932261.html

Thanks, Kyle, for all you've given to Gopher hockey!

Comment

I have a feeling the gophers are going to loose a lot of players during the offseason.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesus of Suburbia View Post
                        I have a feeling the gophers are going to loose a lot of players during the offseason.
                        What a great hockey mind....

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          And Rau is the second:

The seniors are awesome for having stuck around. Go Gophers.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            And Rau is the second:

Best of luck to Travis Boyd, the third senior to sign:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/298167421.html

Comment

Congrats on getting Auston Matthews to sign with the Gofs. I figured he was a lock to play juniors.
                              License to kill gofers...From the government of the United Nations. - Carl Spackler, Caddyshack

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackheart View Post
                                Congrats on getting Auston Matthews to sign with the Gofs. I figured he was a lock to play juniors.
                                Can I ask where you saw that?

Comment

Working...
                                X