Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
    More like they had nothing to gain...a fine time for one of the worst (if not THE worst) games of the year.
    From an impartial person, that was pretty sad to see Minnesota not ready to play today...duluth is a solid squad but nowhere near Minnesota in skill level.
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Congrats to UMD in both a shocking and dominant 4-1 win. They came out with energy, a tenacious forecheck and backcheck and disrupted the Gophers transition game all night. The Gophers countered with stretch passes from their zone, but that led to more turnovers and offensive pressure from UMD. To say there were breakdowns in play on both sides of the puck for the Gophers is an understatement. This was one of those games where nothing clicked.

The Gopher D looked flatfooted and out of position in their zone allowing UMD cycling time and scoring chances. The Gopher offense was equally as bad if not worse than the D and were completely out of sync for 95% of the game. They struggled getting any offensive zone time while UMD played hard on the walls, and the Gophers couldn't make plays or put the puck on net. The Bulldogs extinguished the Gopher cycling game down low, a key to the Gopher offense. UMD's 3rd goal off Reilly's skate was the backbreaker in the 1st putting UMD up 3-0...and it almost immediately deflated the Gophers energy.

Although they fell short of expectations, the senior class did a heck of a job in fighting back in this roller coaster season to win the B1G season title and championship. But there's no question a loss like this for now casts a shadow. A puzzling ending to a puzzling season. Painful losses like this for a player will linger for perhaps a lifetime and for fans, the "wait til next year" rings pretty hollow right now. This was a KO that will surely take time to heal and move on.

Comment

So, who's gone (aside from a very good senior class)? Did any of Fasching, Kloos, Cammerata improve enough to be a flight risk (I'd guess "no")? Is Reilly gone?

Comment

I thought it was just me who battled apathy all this season. The December swoon, poor team defense, playing in the weak Big Ten, all contributed. Then they played better and I began to at least think they could win a game or two in the Tourney. But, yesterday was a complete collapse. No grit, no intensity, no defense. This might be the most disapointing Gopher team I've seen since I started going to games when I was in high school. And that was in the late 60's. Really sad.

Comment

What was most disappointing to me was the way they just quit. Even when they had no realistic chance to come back you don't stop trying. Quinnipiac lost to UND by the same score last night, but they kept battling for every loose puck and never gave up. Yes, the late Ambroz goal gave the Gophers a little spark, but by then it was too little and way too late.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

It looked like the exact same game they played against Northeastern at Thanksgiving. Effort was there for the first few minutes, but as soon as UMD scored they just gave up and seemingly never tried to get back in the game.

I tuned out after the empty netter, but then saw the final score was 4-1. What happened on that play? Did I just imagine the empty net goal? Offsides, perhaps?

Comment

One of my bigger questions is, what are they doing about scheduling tougher non-conference next year? I saw a preliminary lineup for the Mariucci Classic, and all I can say is wow. I realize some of the teams scheduled this year had down years (BC and ND) but I don't have a lot of faith that the B1G will get to the point next year that they will be tested night in and out like in the WCHA.

With the exception of UMD and JBSU, there weren't any other games agains NACHO teams, and while I understand the desire to keep home games, sometimes you have to sacrifice and make a trip somewhere to get someone coming in here.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeGopher View Post
                  It looked like the exact same game they played against Northeastern at Thanksgiving. Effort was there for the first few minutes, but as soon as UMD scored they just gave up and seemingly never tried to get back in the game.

I tuned out after the empty netter, but then saw the final score was 4-1. What happened on that play? Did I just imagine the empty net goal? Offsides, perhaps?
                  Hand pass after it was reviewed.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeGopher View Post

Hand pass behind UMD net. UMD guy threw it with closed hand. Could have been a penalty, not that it would have mattered.

As poorly as MN played, UMD benefited from two goals off Gophers. They got a couple bounces. Those don't go in, and maybe MN gets a little better effort for more of the game. This is frustrating on so many levels. This team had all the talent they needed. This collection doesn't come along often, so you have to take advantage. They seemed to have turned the corner coming into the tourney. And unless some juniors really surprise us and decide to return, this team will be young next year, and who knows how soon they will have similar potential. At least last year, we knew there was a good potential this team would return most of the players. On top of that, I though BU's young D looked very beatable. I don't think UMD is a great team, but they play smart and it wouldn't be surprised if they win today. Mn has the most tourney appearances, but not the trophies to show for it. Frustrating!

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                      Hand pass behind UMD net. UMD guy threw it with closed hand. Could have been a penalty, not that it would have mattered.
                      Possibly MN's best defensive play of the game....a UMD hand pass.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                      Twenty red lights in his honor
                      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

This thread is hilarious. Calling UMD's win shocking, the gophers played so well down the stretch winning the B1G then they played so bad in this game. The dogs outplayed you in all five match ups this year. The B1G is a joke, WMU would have won it. Dogs were a nightmare for the goofs down low, first three step team speed killed you. Face it you were the 4th best team in MN this year. Good luck with the non-conference scheduling... Right now every team who wants to improve their players would rather play Michigan Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                          From an impartial person, that was pretty sad to see Minnesota not ready to play today...duluth is a solid squad but nowhere near Minnesota in skill level.
                          Thankfully they brought Goldy east with them. Little else though. Very disappointing.
                          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                            Which skill is that? Defense? Taking the body? Acting interested in the game?
                            License to kill gofers...From the government of the United Nations. - Carl Spackler, Caddyshack

Comment

The best team in the Big Ten is #4 in Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by Blackheart View Post
                                Which skill is that? Defense? Taking the body? Acting interested in the game?
                                Skating around cones.

Comment

Working...
                                X