Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I think we are gonna win it. If we are in the title game, I'm 99% certain I'll be heading to the airport that morning for a "day trip" to Boston.
    For the Tampa Frozen Four, I was planning on driving down that Friday morning if/when the Gophers beat BC in the semis. We all know how that turned out.

Last year, as soon as the regional was over we were in full on planning mode to make the entire trip. No, the title game was not the outcome we had hoped but if I had missed that .6 game, I'm not sure I would ever forgive myself.

If they make it out of this regional, we will again be in full on planning mode to make the trip to Boston.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Some fun reading while we wait for Friday's game:

Wild notes: Former UMD star outnumbered in the locker room
      http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/297474181.html
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        Some fun reading while we wait for Friday's game:

Wild notes: Former UMD star outnumbered in the locker room
        http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/297474181.html
        Cut him.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
          Same thing as a double negative. "If"? Oh...so you're NOT sure we'll make it to Boston and win it?
          I think MN will win it. There is no sure bet. If I can get a 50% chance at the title, versus 12.5%...just saying.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            I think MN will win it. There is no sure bet. If I can get a 50% chance at the title, versus 12.5%...just saying.
            So no more "shine the turd" comments? Watched a bit of the B1G Tourney Championship game again last night. I will say this, the Gophers are playing at a much different level now than at any time in the season. Question is, can they plow through the stiffer competition from ranked teams in a one and done? B1G litmus test this weekend.

Comment

Question is, can they plow through the stiffer competition from ranked teams in a one and done?
              Precisely what I've been asking myself the last couple of days. While I believe the Gophers have the talent to make a serious run, they will also need
              (a) an absolute "we will not lose" mentality in all four games, and
              (b) Wilcox to be at his best, and
              (c) some opportunistic scoring in games where we will almost inevitability get outshot, and even outplayed somewhat.

Looking at the overall field and the records/stats of the "favorites", I think the Gophers have at least as good of a chance as any other team, but I also think that they will absolutely need all three of the above if they are to win the overall championship.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Precisely what I've been asking myself the last couple of days. While I believe the Gophers have the talent to make a serious run, they will also need
                (a) an absolute "we will not lose" mentality in all four games, and
                (b) Wilcox to be at his best, and
                (c) some opportunistic scoring in games where we will almost inevitability get outshot, and even outplayed somewhat.

Looking at the overall field and the records/stats of the "favorites", I think the Gophers have at least as good of a chance as any other team, but I also think that they will absolutely need all three of the above if they are to win the overall championship.
                Yeah, you're spot on. Without a doubt, Wilcox is our best weapon. I would add that their tenacious forecheck and aggressiveness in the hard areas is a key to success as well. Fortunately we're seeing more of that now than ever before this season.

I'm convinced more than in any of the 3 previous seasons that the "we will not lose" mentality is personified in Kyle Rau. Kyle has typically been a spotty scorer, much like Warning, who has disappeared on the score sheets for lengthy periods in the past. But right now he's playing at near full potential as a player and has grown leaps and bounds as a leader down the stretch. It's his "will to win" mentality (along with Seth Ambroz and Travis Boyd) that has really inspired and impacted this team on their road back from the dead.

UMD has been playing .500 hockey for nearly the entire second half. I honestly think if the Gophers play like they did last Sat., they blow the doors off UMD from the puck drop. The Gophers speed and talent plus a relentless will to win makes this team scary good.

Comment

UMD has been playing .500 hockey for nearly the entire second half. I honestly think if the Gophers play like they did last Sat., they blow the doors off UMD from the puck drop. The Gophers speed and talent plus a relentless will to win makes this team scary good.
                  UMD also wasn't healthy during part of that stretch from what I understand.
                  "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar here...and IMO some on GPL would jump out a window, but here's my opinion:

I can't say I've seen much BU hockey. But I'd say its very likely that Eichel's a fairly one dimensional player. He can score. No knock against him, because scoring in hockey is critical. But as a freshman, very few play 200 foot games. That's why it doesn't surprise me that Vesey got the Walter Brown.

At the end of the day, we always seem to have top scoring forwards getting the Hobey...with an occasional shut down D sprinkled in. Frankly, we haven't had a D of any type for awhile. Not since Gilroy. As an unbiased observer, I think its got to be Mike Reilly. He integrates with forwards like nobody's business, can instantly make the game 200 feet, and play very advanced D as needed (a serious upgrade to his game from LY). But if scoring is your thing, he's not only the top scoring D in the nation, but he's the top scoring player on a team with the most prolific senior class in hockey (and he's put up more points than Hobey winner Gilroy). You've got to go back 3 years to find a defenseman putting up the points (and four years if Reilly comes up with 2 more). Eichel? Go back to last year and you'll someone who was several times the Hobey forward. No offense, but Eichel doesn't deserve the Hobey.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      As an unbiased observer, I think its got to be Mike Reilly. He integrates with forwards like nobody's business, can instantly make the game 200 feet, and play very advanced D as needed (a serious upgrade to his game from LY). But if scoring is your thing, he's not only the top scoring D in the nation, but he's the top scoring player on a team with the most prolific senior class in hockey (and he's put up more points than Hobey winner Gilroy). You've got to go back 3 years to find a defenseman putting up the points (and four years if Reilly comes up with 2 more).
                      I've been voting for him every day, but unfortunately he's way behind a couple of others. Does this fan voting site count for anything? Or is it just a popularity contest to get people interested in who wins the trophy?

Comment

I can't say I've seen much BU hockey. But I'd say its very likely that Eichel's a fairly one dimensional player. He can score. No knock against him, because scoring in hockey is critical. But as a freshman, very few play 200 foot games.
                        That's obvious. You're so wrong it's not even funny. He makes everyone on the ice better. He sets up his teammates, does a great job back-checking (or as they say now "back pressure") and has deceptive speed. His long stride doesn't look fast, but he's past you before you know it. And he is VERY strong on his skates. And his teammates love him. So before you get comfortable thinking that this is just more Eastern hype, think again.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                          That's obvious. You're so wrong it's not even funny. He makes everyone on the ice better. He sets up his teammates, does a great job back-checking (or as they say now "back pressure") and has deceptive speed. His long stride doesn't look fast, but he's past you before you know it. And he is VERY strong on his skates. And his teammates love him. So before you get comfortable thinking that this is just more Eastern hype, think again.
                          He didn't even win the Walter Brown.

As a freshman, is he in the same class with Johnny Hockey? I'd bet large sums of money against that.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

He didn't even win the Walter Brown.
                            So now we're measuring ability by awards won? Tom Brady didn't win the Heisman, either....

As a freshman, is he in the same class with Johnny Hockey? I'd bet large sums of money against that.
                            Are you trying to stir up the BC fans? I'm not falling for that one. But he is going to be the #2 pick behind McDavid. I don't think all the scouts are wrong, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                              UMD also wasn't healthy during part of that stretch from what I understand.
                              Good point Wes. Actually both teams have struggled through some tough injuries. At a time when the Gophers were struggling with putting the puck in the net, we lost our leading scorer C. Reilly in Wisconsin on Jan. 30. But the seniors really put the pedal to the metal for a 12-3-1 run and from that day until now a 4.0 GF/game. Any coach would be tickled with that number.

By way of contrast, UMD is noticeably NOT as talent deep as the Gophers, consequently their struggles with injuries have been more debilitating resulting in a 7-7-2 record over the same 16 game period. The difference between the two teams is UMD has struggled find those guys to step up and score goals during that same stretch resulting in 2.43 GF/game. In the last 3 games-all losses, they've averaged 1 G/game. UMD is clearly struggling as a team going into this weekend with a higher GA (2.56) than GF (2.43) in the last 16 games.

Of course, the rivalry component raises the energy and physicality level. But I'd be surprised if the Gophers did not end the Dogs season on Friday night. There's a ton of confidence and energy on this Gopher team right now.

Behind the scenes look back to B1G sweep and forward to this weekend with UMD >>> HERE

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                Are you trying to stir up the BC fans? I'm not falling for that one. But he is going to be the #2 pick behind McDavid. I don't think all the scouts are wrong, do you?
                                OK...so the answer is no, Eichel is not nearly as good as last year's Hobey winner.

Being a #2 pick says nothing about the Hobey. EJ was a #1 pick...and no, he wasn't deserving of the Hobey either.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X