Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Glover is doing far better as a forward than he did as a D. The coaches made the right move.
    It is a short term solution. Long term, he needs to focus on D. That's where his greatest value is going to be
    University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
      It is a short term solution. Long term, he needs to focus on D. That's where his greatest value is going to be
      In his limited playing time at D earlier this year I thought he was beyond shaky. It was like he couldn't do anything right.

I guess we'll have to wait and see where the coaches put him next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he again gets used in a defensive forward role.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        While I generally think the groupthink on GPL is over the top these days this idea that people are "shouted down" is pretty laughable. When we said the idea was dumb it was. There was no point in moving a D to forward at the time, it was only being suggested because talented players were sitting and we cant have that because...think of the children. The team wasnt playing bad (in fact they were playing pretty well at the time) and it seemed like an "I am smarter than the coach because I post on a message board and play NHL '95 and it works there" move. It is like when people suggest a movie star they like for a role in a movie, it is all fancasting.

If a D had been playing on the 4th line regularly do you honestly think the team is in a better position? If not, then you just admitted to exactly what we all told you.
        Its bizarre how the suggestion made to 'consider' playing a D up front was considered dumb and 'outguessing' the coaches. Guess what, that's what they've done. So by saying the move is dumb...are you then smarter than the coaches?

If your excuse for not doing it was because we were playing so well then? Our big wins then were against BSU, Notre Dame and SCSU at home and RPI on the road. We went 0-3 against ranked teams on the road - UMD and SCSU. No better or worse than now. That excuse doesn't fly.

Why would they play Glover up front? Ryan Reilly is on par with how productive as Glover has been and has been faar more productive than Michaelson has been. So as you belittle playing an important freshman who needs ice time...that's exactly what the coaches are doing and exactly why they're doing it. That's Clymer's position and the stats show it to be the case.

The 'its dumb' crowd turned out to be totally wrong and are the one's who are second guessing the coaches.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by ShotFromThePoint View Post
          I like that you say that it's "laughable" that someone thinks their idea is being "shouted down" and then in, literally, the next sentence say that you all told him it was a dumb idea. You immediately contradicted yourself.
          Pretty much.

Isn't it great, another one of those "experts" that can post no wrong. haha

Comment

Originally posted by ShotFromThePoint View Post
            I like that you say that it's "laughable" that someone thinks their idea is being "shouted down" and then in, literally, the next sentence say that you all told him it was a dumb idea. You immediately contradicted yourself.
            No, me disagreeing with your post doesnt equal me "shouting it down". Are you shouting me down or is San Tropez with his condescension from his high horse? I dont think you are...the whole point of discussion is to have people of multiple ideas bounce them off each other.

Me not thinking it made any sense for the Gophers to play a D at forward and giving reasons as such is not "shouting it down". Did I ask a mod to ban him or delete his posts? Did I block him or openly mock him in any way? No I flipping disagreed and said so. THE HORROR!! Trust me despite being one of those "experts" that San Tropez loves so much, I get a lot more flack for my opinions than the "Move Marshall to Forward" idea got. (and that was what it was about)

I dont care if people agree with me about everything, I certainly dont get all bent out of shape about it either. I can say that in all my years doing this (and ticking people off) though I can count on one hand the times I was "shouted down". 5mn_Major got a lot worse when he posted how he was "dodging bullets on 394" in the cafe a couple years back.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              Its bizarre how the suggestion made to 'consider' playing a D up front was considered dumb and 'outguessing' the coaches. Guess what, that's what they've done. So by saying the move is dumb...are you then smarter than the coaches?

If your excuse for not doing it was because we were playing so well then? Our big wins then were against BSU, Notre Dame and SCSU at home and RPI on the road. We went 0-3 against ranked teams on the road - UMD and SCSU. No better or worse than now. That excuse doesn't fly.

Why would they play Glover up front? Ryan Reilly is on par with how productive as Glover has been and has been faar more productive than Michaelson has been. So as you belittle playing an important freshman who needs ice time...that's exactly what the coaches are doing and exactly why they're doing it. That's Clymer's position and the stats show it to be the case.

The 'its dumb' crowd turned out to be totally wrong and are the one's who are second guessing the coaches.
              Ummm...everyone second guesses the coach. Are you seriously pretending that Lucia gets a free pass because even his biggest defenders on GPL rip him to shreds about some things. (hell I have publicly wanted him fired legitimately on two seperate occasions and am quite open about it)

I still dont think it is a needed move but guess what, I aint the flipping coach and he does. If it works great, if it doesnt he looks like an idiot. Obviously Lucia didnt agree with that idea then because he didnt make the move then did he? Situations change, the season is fluid. What made sense then might not make sense now. At that point there was really no point in moving things around in Lucia's mind and now there is. I know this probably makes little sense but you were wrong then and you are right now. It has been known to happen.

This isnt me shouting you down though, this is me giving a counterpoint. Agree, disagree, ignore do whatever you want just like all the rest of us. But dont play the victim ok...
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC
                ECAC and then HE are the two most critical tournaments for the Gophers making the NCAAs.
                I would include the B1G tournament as well

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  Holy smokes was I crucified for suggesting we consider playing a defenseman at forward early in the year. We should ask Glover how that turned out.

Love the running of the site, Jup is an all star...but the poster criticisms are ceaseless.
                  I thought I remember someone crucified for suggesting Marshall should play up, not just any D. And I am not sure it would have happened without Reilly going down.

Comment

I guess I get confused what these boards are good for if all you want are people that regurgitate the same views and there is never any difference in opinion, etc.

Anybody that throws out an opinion should at least be prepared for naysayers, etc. If you expect anything less, then you probably shouldn't spend any time posting because it is inevitably going to happen. You just have to have thick skin about it.
                    Well, except in the case of me, because I am always right.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                      I thought I remember someone crucified for suggesting Marshall should play up, not just any D. And I am not sure it would have happened without Reilly going down.
                      That is exactly what it was...he wanted the young D playing and Marshall moved to forward on a low line basically making him role player.
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Congrats to Mike Reilly on winning the Big Ten hockey Defensive Player of the Year award. Other Gopher award winners are named here:
                        http://www.startribune.com/sports/bl...ml#commentHere
                        Pre-season, I would have expected more Gophers higher on the lists. Disappointing not to see more of the younger players not mentioned.

Comment

It was an illogical idea at the time without question because it would not have made sense to try it when the season began. But life is fluid and situations change.

Comment

In his limited playing time at D earlier this year I thought he was beyond shaky. It was like he couldn't do anything right.

I guess we'll have to wait and see where the coaches put him next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he again gets used in a defensive forward role.
                            I guarantee you he'll leave the team before he'll be a full time forward.

If we judged every D by how they looked in their first month or two of college hockey, many of them wouldn't appear to worth it in the long haul.

I'd also point out that we aren't as deep (as of right now) at D next year. Glover is going to be needed (at a minimum) for depth. You don't recruit a kid for D at age 16, watch him play the next few years at D with the US team, watch him get drafted by an NHL team as a D, and then change him to forward full time. Playing him in a pinch is understandable. Especially when you are deeper at D. But we won't have that luxury next year.
                            Last edited by Hammy; 03-17-2015, 06:15 PM.
                            University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

I guarantee you he'll leave the team before he'll be a full time forward.

If we judged every D by how they looked in their first month or two of college hockey, many of them wouldn't appear to worth it in the long haul.

I'd also point out that we aren't as deep (as of right now) at D next year. Glover is going to be needed (at a minimum) for depth. You don't recruit a kid for D at age 16, watch him play the next few years at D with the US team, watch him get drafted by an NHL team as a D, and then change him to forward full time. Playing him in a pinch is understandable. Especially when you are deeper at D. But we won't have that luxury next year.
                              All good points. I would add that the experience he gained just from playing this season, even if it wasn't the position he was recruited to play, should help him immensely next season when he reverts back to defense.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

And I am not sure it would have happened without Reilly going down.
                                You'd be hard pressed to find anyone saying Michaelson is much better than R Reilly. They sit R Reilly before Glover, if C Reilly was around they'd be sitting Michaelson before Glover.

I thought I remember someone crucified for suggesting Marshall should play up, not just any D.
                                I don't know who said Marshall...but is putting Glover at F and Marshall at D a smart idea and vice versa a totally idiotic idea? Not sure what your point is.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X