Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

(Ok- brain fart - maybe it will come to me by end of typing post...) The former Gopher doing color had a couple interesting comments last night for those of you not watching on TV:

First, when talking about Senior night he mentioned how that is an opportunity many players don't experience when they jump to the pros early. He said players need to look at all the costs when considering a jump, not just the monetary gain and reaching the goal of making the NHL, but the cost of missing out on some of life's great memories in another year of college. This is point Trent Klatt likes to make regularly, both for the kid who wants to leave HS early and the collegiate players. He wishes he could have played another year at UM. This day in age, career ending injuries are really rare, with all the knee surgery advances, so it isn't as big of a risk as say 15-20 years ago. You could tell the Seniors were fired up to play last night and I am sure guys like Leopold didn't regret a return (not that everyone will return for an NC). (So if our two Junior defensemen and Junior goalie decide college is really fun and came back, I just want them to know I would be fine with it.)

The other comment he made 2 weeks in a row when talking about Woog and how tough he was on the players. He said he realized that once he got to the NHL, and saw how much coaches demanded there, that he realized Woog was prepping them well for their future by being so hard on them. So much so that he wrote a letter to Woog after his career was over to thank Doug. There have been lots of comments about Lucia and how a lot of players feel about him this year and whether that would play into how much longer he should coach, but I was wondering if the comments about Woog's toughness were meant to support and justify how tough Lucia apparently is on his players.

Comment

Ben Clymer

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
      Twenty red lights in his honor
      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
        Watching the Wild game recorded from lat night, 2 things came to mind;

1. Amazing how similar their season and the Gophs have been. Start out fast with high expectations. Then poor goaltending and inconsistent play in middle of season appear to derail chance at post season play. Goaltending improves and rest of team starts playing much better and what looked very unlikley (postseason play) starts to look probable based on good late season runs. (Obvioulsly Wild have a way to go with probably toughest schedule in NHL rest of way with several teams on their tail.) Wild would have one game that wasn't their best, and follow up with a very good performance. Gophs avoided two poor showings in a row late as well. Both teams are capable of playing with any team in the country now that they are playing with confidence.

2. I want Jamie Hersch back on Gopher broadcasts. She has grown on me the more I watch her and she not only does a good job managing post-games, she seems to know the game and know what question to ask. I never used to bother ever watching Wild post-game sessions. Oh yeah, and she is cute as hell. Mr. Hersch is a lucky guy.
        Back to number 1 - I forgot another similarity - how much the fourth lines started kicking in at at about the same time too. Lots of similarities. Now they both need to win their respective Championships (along with MN women) and all will be well with the world. (And hopefully both won't take a dive and not make it.)

Comment

Jamie is a smoke. I'm sure the Wild gig is better for her, so I doubt we'll see her much.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
            Ben Clymer
            Bingo! I was never good with names, and getting older I have gotten worse with name recall. Have a co-worker the same way. Couldn't remember George Clooney's name in one conversation and had to ask a clerical. Now whenever we can't remember a name, we just substitute George Clooney.

(And if anyone is wondering about al my posts today when it is beautiful and I should be outside instead of chatting with other chat geeks, my wife has been hounding me for weeks to paint the bathroom and a couple other rooms, so this is my main procrastination method for the day.)

Comment

Congrats on Your 2nd straight Big Ten Title!

Comment

(And if anyone is wondering about al my posts today when it is beautiful and I should be outside instead of chatting with other chat geeks, my wife has been hounding me for weeks to paint the bathroom and a couple other rooms, so this is my main procrastination method for the day.)
                Ha! Good luck with that!

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                Twenty red lights in his honor
                Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                  Jamie is a smoke. I'm sure the Wild gig is better for her, so I doubt we'll see her much.

Can't explain, but I didn't take to her right away, but now I'll watch Wild post game for a little Jaimie-time if I have some spare time. Wasn't expecting her back for Gophers, but a guy can dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                    Ha! Good luck with that!
                    Well she is returning from being out of town, so not around yet to crack the whip. Doesn't help motivation that I like the old color better either, not that my opinion matters.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Figures YOU would comment on my second point...
                      Well, figured I'd chime in on women reporters. Most of them are terrible, but the good ones need to be recognized.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Gotta love the Pairwise. Went into the weekend, at what, 12th or 11th? Swept the series. Now we're 14th with the possibility of being lower depending on the rest of Sunday's games.

Comment

Originally posted by ShotFromThePoint View Post
                          Gotta love the Pairwise. Went into the weekend, at what, 12th or 11th? Swept the series. Now we're 14th with the possibility of being lower depending on the rest of Sunday's games.
                          Yep. It's interesting to see that if this were 2013, and before the modifications of QWB and the dropping of the TUC component, MN would be in even worse shape at #16.

Things can change pretty quick with the PWR, but it's looking more and more like if MN wins the autobid they won't need it to qualify, and if they don't win the autobid they won't be high enough to qualify.

Comment

Does anyone have a preference on who we play Friday? Given the results of this past weekend I would say Penn State, but having to beat the same team three times in one week may not be the ideal situation. I fully realize the Gophers have no say in the matter, will have to prevail over whichever team it is, and publicly would say they don't care who it is...just wondering which opponent you think the Gophers would really prefer to be matched up against.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              Does anyone have a preference on who we play Friday? Given the results of this past weekend I would say Penn State, but having to beat the same team three times in one week may not be the ideal situation. I fully realize the Gophers have no say in the matter, will have to prevail over whichever team it is, and publicly would say they don't care who it is...just wondering which opponent you think the Gophers would really prefer to be matched up against.
                              Don't care. NEXT.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                Well, figured I'd chime in on women reporters. Most of them are terrible, but the good ones need to be recognized.
                                So nice of you to stand up for the attractive women.

Comment

Working...
                                X