Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D2D
    replied
    Re: Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Jason Gonzalez confirming Connor Reilly's surgery, and explanation of how seeding works for the B1G conference tournament:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/bl...ml#commentHere

Leave a comment:

• gopher wes
    replied

I guess I don't really care how they do it as long as they get in.

This is the kind of team that IF they got in could potentially roll just about any team they play. They could also roll over for just about any team they play. I'll just say this: playoff hockey >>>>>> no playoff hockey. You're on your own from there.

Leave a comment:

• Koho
    replied

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    I think that when going into the Tournament nobody expects your team to win, but they somehow pull it off (i.e. Union last year) it "means more" than winning it if you're one of the favorites. The very best example of this, of course, is the 1980 Miracle on Ice. That said, it's now been more than a decade since the Gophers won their last championship, so just win one no matter what - soon.
    And this is what I am getting at. We no longer expect them to win. Not that in either situation are you not ecstatic they won it all, just when you are expecting it, a lot of the feeling is just relief something didn't go wrong and you feel the team got what they deserved. In the other, you can't believe they actually did it. But maybe having a stretch without winning is just as important. 2002 was much sweeter that 2003 for me. Partly, it was being there. But even thought I felt like they had a team to win it all from near the end of the previous season, I had seen enough things go wrong in past decades to know there were no guarantees. But in 2003, it just felt like it was theirs to lose and felt more like a confirmation of what I already knew.

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

Not that I enjoy discussing the hypothesis as it appears we're on the opposite end of that equation, but...

I'd rather have them rock through the whole season and win. That way you enjoy every game. Otherwise you go through the whole season half blowing it off...and then wish you'd have paid more attention after it was over.

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied

I think that when going into the Tournament nobody expects your team to win, but they somehow pull it off (i.e. Union last year) it "means more" than winning it if you're one of the favorites. The very best example of this, of course, is the 1980 Miracle on Ice. That said, it's now been more than a decade since the Gophers won their last championship, so just win one no matter what - soon.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

The only way I'd care differently, is if the Gophers went undefeated and won the title. Maybe one loss. Other than that? Meh. They won the title. All that matters.

Leave a comment:

• Bonin21
    replied

Winning it all is maximum sweetness for any team no matter what they do during the season.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by Koho View Post
    So I am curious what people think. What would be more exciting, if this team that has underperformed for much of the year barely creeps into the NCAA and then goes on to surprise us all and win it all in close games, or if they had a few losses all season, walked away with both both B1G titles, were ranked #1 all year and marched through the NCAA tourney and won? Or which would be looked back on more fondly in say 5 years?

Not saying I am expecting an NC by any means. Just wondering if they were to win it, if the struggles this season would maybe make it more sweet?
    I wouldn't give a crap. They'd have another title.

Leave a comment:

• Koho
    replied

So I am curious what people think. What would be more exciting, if this team that has underperformed for much of the year barely creeps into the NCAA and then goes on to surprise us all and win it all in close games, or if they had a few losses all season, walked away with both both B1G titles, were ranked #1 all year and marched through the NCAA tourney and won? Or which would be looked back on more fondly in say 5 years?

Not saying I am expecting an NC by any means. Just wondering if they were to win it, if the struggles this season would maybe make it more sweet?

Leave a comment:

• HarleyMC
    replied

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    No meds needed with this team, which by itself has been like alternating between uppers and downers. Hoping for two uppers this weekend.
    If the Gophers have their eyes on the prize, and play their game...they'll be fine. The best advice is: Be water, my friend.

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
    All I want to know is did you write this before or after your morning meds? I'm guessing before, unless you switched medications.
    No meds needed with this team, which by itself has been like alternating between uppers and downers. Hoping for two uppers this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• HarleyMC
    replied

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Sorry about the downer Monday
    All I want to know is did you write this before or after your morning meds? I'm guessing before, unless you switched medications.

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

I'll still watch the games. But the real backbreaker was MSU (still is and will end up being our worst game of the year). OSU just took away the belief that the Gophers, if they somehow manage to get into the NCAAs, will accomplish anything.

In the end, our age old nemesis of not scoring will kill us. Reason for both of the above Ls and the North Star cup. We get boatloads of criticism for our defense. But our defense doesn't cause us to not score...and in fact, helps as much to score or more than any hockey team in the NCAAs. Hence a big reason why we do so poorly in shoot outs. As mentioned in the game thread, we often just run out of steam and can't score. In Friday's over the last month plus, we're 6-0-0. On Saturday's, we're 2-3-1.

Again, I'll continue to watch. But I'm starting to transition to off season thinking. It will likely be too bad that probably the most talented group on campus since our back to back went out this way. While pretty good, I don't see our group of recruits next year as being among the best we've had. Our defense should remain solid. But with questions about our recruiting class's ability to score goals and with the likely forwards remaining (esp vs. that of Michigan) and its hard to be optimistic. Sorry about the downer Monday

Leave a comment:

• HarleyMC
    replied

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
    I'm not sure 2012-2013 is the best season to compare to. MN went out in the first round of the NCAA's. Yeah yeah, they took the Nat'l Champ to overtime, but that was a game the Gophers really should have won. They also went into the stretch in a pretty commanding position in terms of PWR. Not so this year.a

Maybe a better comparison would be 2011-2012. That year, after getting swept in Denver in early Feb., they finished out the stretch with sweeps against Bemidji and @UNO before splitting a rivalry series with Wisconsin.

I agree with you that as it sits heading into the final week of Big 10 play, MN is probably in the best position to win the regular season title. That doesn't mean much to me. This team has been in must-win type games for the past 3 series and has managed to go 3-3 against some very average competition. That's what I'm looking at.

I echo D2D's sentiments. I really hope you are right, Harley, but I just haven't seen much from this team down the stretch to show me they are going to make much noise when/if they play the stronger teams in the NCAA. Hope I'm wrong.
    Well, just trying to encourage the brethren a little here Staub. The comparison to 2012-13 was only for effect to generally point out that very good Gopher teams are not always prolific in sweeping opponents either. Yeah, the OT against Yale stills stings a little thinkin' about it...that errant pass by Marshall and then the lazy block by Bjugs, ugh...I don't wanna go there.

In retrospect here's how I see the last three B1G series (PSU, MSU, OSU): Penn State is a very good offensive team with strong chemistry on their home ice all season, and they had just been swept by MSU prior to the Gopher series. Chances of the Gophers coming out of that weekend with a road sweep were not high, but we almost pulled it out in OT. MSU like I mentioned is the only team that hasn't been swept by a B1G opponent and have swept more B1G teams than any other. They've had an excellent second half and with the way they run their systems are the toughest match up against the Gophers out of any B1G team this season. OSU had just swept Penn State and were ramped up with a full team back from injuries. A road sweep against a fired up Buckeye team on senior weekend is tough. But on Sat. we still dominated in zone time, but we simply didn't bury our chances and hit 3 pipes (not 2 as I wrote in another post), 15/54 shot attempts were wide, 12 were blocked and we missed 4 excellent scoring ops.

The regular season is almost behind us. All that matters now is their most recent trend, and the mentality and momentum they'll carry into the postseason. I think we'll see a very strong effort from the guys with their backs against the wall in a MUST sweep in their final home series at Mariucci for senior weekend.

If they sweep this weekend and at the most Mich/Sparty split (there's actually a couple scenarios that work), we take the title and draw Penn State or the Buckeyes in the semis. Gophers have only won 3 LTs in the last 18 years, the last one being 2006-07. But I like our chances at the Joe against Penn or OSU, and if we advance I'm guessing we see MSU for the championship game. At this point we're favored to capture the LT and an autobid which we won't need IF this scenario plays out.

Leave a comment:

• Stauber1
    replied

I'm not sure 2012-2013 is the best season to compare to. MN went out in the first round of the NCAA's. Yeah yeah, they took the Nat'l Champ to overtime, but that was a game the Gophers really should have won. They also went into the stretch in a pretty commanding position in terms of PWR. Not so this year.

Maybe a better comparison would be 2011-2012. That year, after getting swept in Denver in early Feb., they finished out the stretch with sweeps against Bemidji and @UNO before splitting a rivalry series with Wisconsin.

I agree with you that as it sits heading into the final week of Big 10 play, MN is probably in the best position to win the regular season title. That doesn't mean much to me. This team has been in must-win type games for the past 3 series and has managed to go 3-3 against some very average competition. That's what I'm looking at.

I echo D2D's sentiments. I really hope you are right, Harley, but I just haven't seen much from this team down the stretch to show me they are going to make much noise when/if they play the stronger teams in the NCAA. Hope I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Stauber1; 03-08-2015, 09:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X