Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Originally posted by JoeGopher View Post
    That's entirely possible. Prior to the BiG, the only team they faced with regularity that employed the trap was the Awfulgers. Now that they are seeing MSU and OSU employ that type of system, it seems to cause problems. Maybe I am just looking at the performance against MSU over the last two years with an increased level of scrutiny since it's the team that has given the Gophs the most trouble in conference games.
    Dave Shyiak and UAA used the NZ trap all the time against the Gophers in the WCHA. BC is a similar smaller, highly skilled team like the Gophers. Notre Dame just beat BC on Saturday using the NZ trap. Jeff Jackson recruits for Notre Dame to combine it with some high end skill players to add a stronger offensive dimension to it.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
      They should hand out penalties for teams who trap. It is a ****ty way to play hockey. It sucked when the lemaire led wild did it too, talk about boring crappy hockey.
      Disagree, but maybe you need to vent here. It depends on your perspective and whether you appreciate all the strategic aspects of the game of hockey. If you're a fan of defense, it's as entertaining and strategic as watching an offensive team. From personal experience, I can say it's tough to crack as an offensive player if executed properly. The Czechs were the ones who invented it to slow down the Russians in the 70s and called it the "Left Wing Lock". The trap also wins championships. Scotty Bowman used it a lot with the Detroit Red Wings and won 3 Stanley Cups. Bob Johnson brought it to Wisconsin and won 3 NCAA titles.

Just for fun. Left Wing Lock is a little different than the NZ trap, where the left wing drops back on D and each player is responsible for a zone, not a player.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
        Not a huge fan of the NZ Trap or Left Wing Lock. But I've got to admit that's a pretty cool graphic.

Comment

MSU and UW have been playing with MI and MN respectively for a long time. They hate to lose to us. Their systems have slowly adapted to both of our high octane offenses. The unfortunate outcome for us...is now we and MI are in the same conference and if nothing else, this should reinforce each of their systems.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Maybe you guys should just adopt the trap if it's so unfair. With your 30 NHL draft picks, surely you will trap better than anybody else.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
              Maybe you guys should just adopt the trap if it's so unfair. With your 30 NHL draft picks, surely you will trap better than anybody else.
              Good point.
              You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

who wants to be bored every game? Not I.
                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                  who wants to be bored every game? Not I.
                  Better to die by the offense than live by the trap?
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    Better to die by the offense than live by the trap?
                    Better to look pretty than win. It's the Gophers way. Always has been.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      They can still look pretty AND win, as long as the effort is there. But these days they need MORE effort, grit and "dirty" goals to win consistently...not quite there yet, this year anyway.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Boom! Target identified...man down.

Comment

Except no one ever said it was unfair, I said it was boring, crappy hockey, which it is. Why watch that when you could watch forwards actually skate and you know, try to score goals. Sorry but having 5 "defensemen" out there isn't the hockey I want to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                            Except no one ever said it was unfair, I said it was boring, crappy hockey, which it is. Why watch that when you could watch forwards actually skate and you know, try to score goals. Sorry but having 5 "defensemen" out there isn't the hockey I want to watch.
                            Yeah, we saw plenty of that from the Wild when Jacques was in charge.

Comment

I think it's time to bleach the hair...

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
                                I think it's time to bleach the hair...
                                That's actually pretty good.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X