Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5mn_Major
    replied
    Re: Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Resident USCHO B1G columnists Claussen and Weston are both picking against the Gophers - which makes me more optimistic. Claussen goes as far as picking a 3 game marathon sweep by Michigan. Frankly I would welcome seeing them in the championship...with their wheels, Michigan would be totally gassed.

Leave a comment:

• HarleyMC
    replied

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
    And the last game they won in a conference tourney was back in 07-08. Gotta come out hot and make up for lost time....
    Thanks for that stat...it's pathetic. Back at ya : Only 6 LTs since 1959, only Gopher teams under Woog and Lucia have ever won an LT (3 each).

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
    Wilcox will need to be in top form that's a no-brainer. His SV% and GAA numbers this season are the worst in his 3 seasons, but he's shown good form lately. My concerns are more about the guys playing in front of him and in a "one and done" scenario, unfortunately a little puck luck can end a team's season. OSU or Penn are going to be hungry for a shot at an LT championship and the NCAAs. Historically, the Gophers not been good in these situations and have only won 3 LTs in 18 years (last one 2006-07). They will need to play desperate and match their opponents intensity and then some...
    As said before, the Gophers typically lose in these situations when they don't score. We're at 3.6 goals per game. We're 18-2 when getting to 4 goals...and 2-9 when we score two or fewer goals. Except for a Michigan outlier, its simple...when our forwards put the puck in the net, we win.

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
    And the last game they won in a conference tourney was back in 07-08.
    That's ridiculous!

Leave a comment:

• gopher wes
    replied

Wilcox will need to be in top form that's a no-brainer. His SV% and GAA numbers this season are the worst in his 3 seasons, but he's shown good form lately. My concerns are more about the guys playing in front of him and in a "one and done" scenario, unfortunately a little puck luck can end a team's season. OSU or Penn are going to be hungry for a shot at an LT championship and the NCAAs. Historically, the Gophers not been good in these situations and have only won 3 LTs in 18 years (last one 2006-07). They will need to play desperate and match their opponents intensity and then some...
    And the last game they won in a conference tourney was back in 07-08. Gotta come out hot and make up for lost time....

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Oh, I think they're on the radar.
    If anyone's evading radar it would be that stealth "phantom team" from Madison.

Leave a comment:

• HarleyMC
    replied

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
    If Wilcox plays like Wilcox, we should be in good shape to make the NCAA tourney.

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Maybe being off the radar so to speak will help the team. No one expects them to do well in the tourneys.
    Oh, I think they're on the radar.

Leave a comment:

• JF_Gophers
    replied

Maybe being off the radar so to speak will help the team. No one expects them to do well in the tourneys.

Leave a comment:

• SanTropez
    replied

If Wilcox plays like Wilcox, we should be in good shape to make the NCAA tourney.

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

I posted often about their record over the previous 12 games before the PSU series (8-3-1). But you stopped listening and it was only just over a week ago you stated you were going into "offseason" mode....remember?
    Yeah and I gave you credit for calling a title for MN. The Gophers can often be great and throughout the year, a decent amount of credit for that goes to M Reilly. But the tourney weekend is one of the toughest to predict and I won't declare a continuation for the season until after the weekend.

Edit: Speaking of Mike Reilly, he was just announced as being in the top 10 for the Hobey. As he is one of just two D on the list, he'll undoubtedly be first team all American. Congrats Mike!
    Last edited by 5mn_Major; 03-19-2015, 09:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• HarleyMC
    replied

And yet the "experts" say I am wrong when mentioning the Gophers are starting to click. It's funny.
    San you're right, the Gophers have started to click since the NSCC. They're 10-3-1 record in their last 14 games against the same B1G opponents surpasses last season's finish @ 9-3-2 and we all know where we ended up. But the difference is last years squad was 1) consistent throughout the season, and 2) were 9-4-1 against ranked teams compared to 6-6-0 this season. IMO this years team struggled mid-season to find its identity and in the process obviously did not play up to their potential. Thankfully, they passed through that period and came out with a B1G title. Now their realistic momentum and morale is higher than it's ever been this season. One game at a time is my approach, especially in a "one and done" scenario. And if they falter on Friday, there's a chance their season ends in Detroit.

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied

I hope they can keep their eyes on the prize. I'm not as confident about this weekend as I was the last one though.
    Me neither. They are away from home in a hostile environment, on an NHL sized sheet, and after last weekend they seemed to maybe celebrate a little TOO much. I think how they do depends, once more, on their level of motivation. If they play desperate, like if they lose they're out, they should win. I'm just not convinced they will.

Leave a comment:

• SanTropez
    replied

Apparently not

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

And yet the "experts" say I am wrong when mentioning the Gophers are starting to click. It's funny.
    Did they play Anybody?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X