Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rube
    replied
    Re: Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Next.

Leave a comment:

• William Blake
    replied

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    My hope came true!

So is Michigan our new No. 1 rival? If not this showdown sure helped make the case.
    They really should be. With their style of play these make for much more entertaining matchups than some of our other rivals.

Leave a comment:

• purpleinnebraska
    replied

Congrats! This was a season that could have went south on you, but your guys pulled it together. To an outsider, that looks like senior leadership.

Best of luck in the tourney!

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    (Of course I hope the Gophers take the direct route by beating Michigan. Not only would that erase all doubt, it would help build good momentum heading into the NCAA's)
    My hope came true!

So is Michigan our new No. 1 rival? If not this showdown sure helped make the case.

Leave a comment:

• Greyeagle
    replied

Fantastic execution tonight. Seemed much more comfortable on the Joe's ice and really cut down on blue line turnovers. Never hurts when Wilcox is back in his happy place.

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
    EDIT:

With all games in and a Mich. win over MSU, we are not a lock for the NCAAs just yet. There is one scenario if we lose to Mich. that ends the Gophers season - if the following teams win their respective conferences: Mercyhurst, Colgate, Mass-Lowell and Miami.
    So, in other words, should the Gophers lose tonight, we would need JUST ONE of RIT, Harvard, BU or St. Cloud State to win their game. If that happens, the Gophers are in for sure?
    (Of course I hope the Gophers take the direct route by beating Michigan. Not only would that erase all doubt, it would help build good momentum heading into the NCAA's)

Leave a comment:

• Greyeagle
    replied

For long stretches of the game MN didn't seem comfortable on the ice at the joe. The transition to the smaller sheet, with very tight corners, was not smooth and hopefully having a game under their belts will allow them to adjust tonight as they are facing a faster team with deeper talent. MN really needs to concentrate on short, quick, passes because the long ones aren't going to work against u-Mi. MN also needs to do a better job protecting the puck on the blue lines; get it deep and forecheck on offense and chip it out and regroup on D if there isn't a pass otherwise the U-Mi transition will kill them.

If they don't adjust from last night's game they will be in trouble.

Leave a comment:

• Koho
    replied

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Michigan was the team I wanted to see. With their wheels, I don't think they'll have the gas. Now to see if it works out that way.
    I was hoping for quadruple overtime last night....

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

Michigan was the team I wanted to see. With their wheels, I don't think they'll have the gas. Now to see if it works out that way.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Next.

Leave a comment:

• HarleyMC
    replied

Originally posted by Koho View Post
    B1G needs to find a way to improve. How pathetic it is has struck me in two ways;
    1. I buy into the idea that a season title is tougher to win than a playoff of 2 -3 games, so I am usually pumped when they have won. This year it felt less satisfying, like instead of cranking out more wins than the opponents, they were just less hapless and manged to avoid more losses.
    2. 21 wins puts UM at 14th in Power, but SCSU, with only 1 win over .500 is at 10th.
    1) Maybe it felt "less satisfying" to you, but for me it had a complete opposite effect. Winning the B1G title was a HUGE morale booster for this team and its' fans in a season that saw them go from the guttermost of plummeting from a #1 ranking and out of the top 20 in two short months, to the uttermost by seeing them count the cost for success as a team, redeem their season with a solid end of season run and comeback to win the B1G Conference Title at home. I don't think you can script a better ending for this courageous team. It takes strong individual character to pull a team together out of the dungeon and out from under over the top criticism from a Gopher fanbase embedded in entitlement issues. I'm very proud of this Gopher team.

2) The B1G has little to do with SCSU's PWR. That's the direct result of a flawed NCAA scheduling system. Because of the NCHC logjam at the top of the PWR, SCSU was able to gather the second highest QWB points in the NCAA and the latent variables in adj. RPI, helped propel SCSU to where they are in the PWR despite their poor W/L record. The 21 wins (22 now) and the Gophers low PWR is also due to 1) college hockey parity, and 2) a systemic and improper scheduling structure in NCAA college hockey. Obviously the no-brainer is if we had won more games that would change our ranking, but that's not the core issue here at all. The NCAA committee must enact change asap because it's denying access to the NCAA tournament for teams that really should be in this thing.

Leave a comment:

• Greyeagle
    replied

Survived.

Leave a comment:

• Koho
    replied

Good to see the win and to see Wilcox in form, but I was expecting a better effort. Maybe it was nerves, but they didn't seem to be using their speed on the forecheck. Better pick up the pace for the next game.

Leave a comment:

• HarleyMC
    replied

Originally posted by William Blake View Post
    How much does the Q loss still hurt the Gophers' chances with the win over OSU?
    Clutch win by the Gophers tonight to enact vengeance on OSU for eliminating us last season. Regarding the PWR, Qp's loss was going to be the dagger as the Gophers would drop from 13th to 14th with a L and out of the NCAA picture. But Adam Wilcox made some of his absolute best saves of his career to seal this game. With some games still yet to be played, how the results of the PWR will affect the Gophers is yet to be determined. But without a doubt we are not out of the PWR woods yet. Not trying to be negative here fellow Gopher fans, just trying to point out the PWR options.

One thing is certain in regards to our chances for an at large bid, if Sparty wins tonight over Michigan, the potential for the Gophers to miss the NCAAs with a loss tomorrow night against MSU increases dramatically. So...we want Michigan to win over MSU tonight. Another team that can dramatically affect the Gophers chances for an ALB is SCSU. They defeated UND tonight. If they win their LT, a couple other tourney scenarios play out, and the Gophers lose to MSU, end of season. If Michigan defeats MSU and the Gophers lose to Michigan in the championship game, we are still a lock for the NCAA tournament.

Nice W tonight for the Gophers as the Buckeyes left everything on the ice. IIRC the Gophers have not been outshot in the 3rd by a 22-8 margin all season. In arguably one of his best performances of the season, Adam Wilcox literally snatched that game out of the fire in the 3rd. The shutout put him tied with Kellen Briggs for the most shutouts all time (13). Win...win...win!! Go Gophers!

EDIT:

With all games in and a Mich. win over MSU, we are not a lock for the NCAAs just yet. There is one scenario if we lose to Mich. that ends the Gophers season - if the following teams win their respective conferences: Mercyhurst, Colgate, Mass-Lowell and Miami.

Sad season ending loss for Robert Morris and a hard pill to swallow for RM fans. Here's a team that battled all season, won their conference, and recorded a 24-8-5 season record. But they lose in OT to Mercyhurst and their season is now over. The lack of validity in the NCAA scheduling structure is reflected in a far too small 16 team tournament field in the pairwise.
    Last edited by HarleyMC; 03-20-2015, 11:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• William Blake
    replied

How much does the Q loss still hurt the Gophers' chances with the win over OSU? And now UND choking against St. Cloud.
    Last edited by William Blake; 03-20-2015, 06:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X