Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
    And yet the "experts" say I am wrong when mentioning the Gophers are starting to click. It's funny.
    San you're right, the Gophers have started to click since the NSCC. They're 10-3-1 record in their last 14 games against the same B1G opponents surpasses last season's finish @ 9-3-2 and we all know where we ended up. But the difference is last years squad was 1) consistent throughout the season, and 2) were 9-4-1 against ranked teams compared to 6-6-0 this season. IMO this years team struggled mid-season to find its identity and in the process obviously did not play up to their potential. Thankfully, they passed through that period and came out with a B1G title. Now their realistic momentum and morale is higher than it's ever been this season. One game at a time is my approach, especially in a "one and done" scenario. And if they falter on Friday, there's a chance their season ends in Detroit.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
      I posted often about their record over the previous 12 games before the PSU series (8-3-1). But you stopped listening and it was only just over a week ago you stated you were going into "offseason" mode....remember?
      Yeah and I gave you credit for calling a title for MN. The Gophers can often be great and throughout the year, a decent amount of credit for that goes to M Reilly. But the tourney weekend is one of the toughest to predict and I won't declare a continuation for the season until after the weekend.

Edit: Speaking of Mike Reilly, he was just announced as being in the top 10 for the Hobey. As he is one of just two D on the list, he'll undoubtedly be first team all American. Congrats Mike!
      Last edited by 5mn_Major; 03-19-2015, 09:41 AM.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

If Wilcox plays like Wilcox, we should be in good shape to make the NCAA tourney.

Comment

Maybe being off the radar so to speak will help the team. No one expects them to do well in the tourneys.
          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
            Maybe being off the radar so to speak will help the team. No one expects them to do well in the tourneys.
            Oh, I think they're on the radar.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
              If Wilcox plays like Wilcox, we should be in good shape to make the NCAA tourney.
              Wilcox will need to be in top form that's a no-brainer. His SV% and GAA numbers this season are the worst in his 3 seasons, but he's shown good form lately. My concerns are more about the guys playing in front of him and in a "one and done" scenario, unfortunately a little puck luck can end a team's season. OSU or Penn are going to be hungry for a shot at an LT championship and the NCAAs. Historically, the Gophers not been good in these situations and have only won 3 LTs in 18 years (last one 2006-07). They will need to play desperate and match their opponents intensity and then some...

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                Oh, I think they're on the radar.
                If anyone's evading radar it would be that stealth "phantom team" from Madison.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Wilcox will need to be in top form that's a no-brainer. His SV% and GAA numbers this season are the worst in his 3 seasons, but he's shown good form lately. My concerns are more about the guys playing in front of him and in a "one and done" scenario, unfortunately a little puck luck can end a team's season. OSU or Penn are going to be hungry for a shot at an LT championship and the NCAAs. Historically, the Gophers not been good in these situations and have only won 3 LTs in 18 years (last one 2006-07). They will need to play desperate and match their opponents intensity and then some...
                  And the last game they won in a conference tourney was back in 07-08. Gotta come out hot and make up for lost time....
                  "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                    And the last game they won in a conference tourney was back in 07-08.
                    That's ridiculous!
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

As said before, the Gophers typically lose in these situations when they don't score. We're at 3.6 goals per game. We're 18-2 when getting to 4 goals...and 2-9 when we score two or fewer goals. Except for a Michigan outlier, its simple...when our forwards put the puck in the net, we win.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                        And the last game they won in a conference tourney was back in 07-08. Gotta come out hot and make up for lost time....
                        Thanks for that stat...it's pathetic. Back at ya : Only 6 LTs since 1959, only Gopher teams under Woog and Lucia have ever won an LT (3 each).

Comment

Resident USCHO B1G columnists Claussen and Weston are both picking against the Gophers - which makes me more optimistic. Claussen goes as far as picking a 3 game marathon sweep by Michigan. Frankly I would welcome seeing them in the championship...with their wheels, Michigan would be totally gassed.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Here's a kicker...CHN is reporting Quinnipiac's leading scorer Sam Anas is OUT for the ECAC tourney. But Qp coach seems to indicate he's not sure yet.

What does that mean for the Gophers? Harvard's Jimmy Vesey is a top ten Hobey candidate and leads the nation in scoring. It looks to me in the PWR if Harvard beats Qp tomorrow night and the Gophers lose, it's the end of the road for the Gophers season. If they win, there's a couple scenarios that could end their season as well.

Comment

Here's a kicker...CHN is reporting Quinnipiac's leading scorer Sam Anas is OUT for the ECAC tourney. But Qp coach seems to indicate he's not sure yet.

What does that mean for the Gophers? Harvard's Jimmy Vesey is a top ten Hobey candidate and leads the nation in scoring. It looks to me in the PWR if Harvard beats Qp tomorrow night and the Gophers lose, it's the end of the road for the Gophers season. If they win, there's a couple scenarios that could end their season as well.
                              Don't know enough. Isn't Harvard right behind us...but the Q right ahead (and even closer in the RPI)? It seemed to me just as likely we get passed and pass at the same time. I thought the key is to make sure that neither win the east.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                                Don't know enough. Isn't Harvard right behind us...but the Q right ahead (and even closer in the RPI)? It seemed to me just as likely we get passed and pass at the same time. I thought the key is to make sure that neither win the east.
                                What seems to happen is both MN and Qp drops a COp because of the losses. Harvard gains a COp and that scenario drops us from PWR 13th to PWR 14th and with 3 AQs (B1G winner, ECAC winner, and AHA winner) that leaves us on the other side of the bubble. All that matters is Qp must win tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X