Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gopher Season Thread: 2014-15 (Continued)

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    You'd be hard pressed to find anyone saying Michaelson is much better than R Reilly. They sit R Reilly before Glover, if C Reilly was around they'd be sitting Michaelson before Glover.

I don't know who said Marshall...but is putting Glover at F and Marshall at D a smart idea and vice versa a totally idiotic idea? Not sure what your point is.
    I don't know that they would have tried Glover at forward with C Reilly here. Maybe, just to get him some time. He is very good defensively and against the boards he is solid, but doesn't generate as much offense as even Michaelson. R. Reilly is fun to watch for his hustle, but hasn't shown much yet. Michealson is no star, but he has some productive shifts. The 4th line has been looking good lately, and it isn't all due to Glover.

And yes, I think it would not be a smart move to put one of your better D-men with the most experience on forward in favor of a freshman on D. There is a big difference between having a freshman D play forward to get used to the speed of the game and adjust to the college game with less chance of a game-costing mistake, then to take your 4-year, top-3 D-man and move him up to forward when you have plenty of fire-power returning from the previous season.

Comment

How dare you crucify him! Stop shouting down his idea
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
        I don't know that they would have tried Glover at forward with C Reilly here. Maybe, just to get him some time. He is very good defensively and against the boards he is solid, but doesn't generate as much offense as even Michaelson. R. Reilly is fun to watch for his hustle, but hasn't shown much yet. Michealson is no star, but he has some productive shifts. The 4th line has been looking good lately, and it isn't all due to Glover.
        The best nonendorsement of Michaelson I can imagine.

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        Glover is doing far better as a forward than he did as a D. The coaches made the right move.
        Agreed.

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
        I think the Glover move was good for that 4th line, they seem to be providing more of what a 4th line should now.

Hammy (or anyone who knows) - When Glover moves back to D next year, I am curious what type of D man is he? (shutdown type, offense D etc...) Didn't really get to see a whole lot out of him on D this season.
        Although he can play some defense, I expect he'd be on the side of puckhandling offense. A perfect piece of the puzzle for our 5 player attack. After seeing him with the NTDP...he has some puck skills. In fact, 28 points in 59 games against a fair amount of NCAA teams in his time there was pretty good. The trick is that he'll be behind his peers so I can't imagine he'd be quarterbacking until the end of his time here.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

A behind the scenes look as the Gophers close out the regular season with a B1G Title >>> HERE.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
            A behind the scenes look as the Gophers close out the regular season with a B1G Title >>> HERE.
            Very well done! Now, starting on Friday, they need to refocus on winning the next prize!
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Gophers' B1G tourney notes:

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...031815aaa.html

Didn't know it...but the Gophs have the best record in the country over the last 14 games.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Didn't know it...but the Gophs have the best record in the country over the last 14 games.
                I posted often about their record over the previous 12 games before the PSU series (8-3-1). But you stopped listening and it was only just over a week ago you stated you were going into "offseason" mode....remember?

I'll still watch the games. But the real backbreaker was MSU (still is and will end up being our worst game of the year). OSU just took away the belief that the Gophers, if they somehow manage to get into the NCAAs, will accomplish anything.

In the end, our age old nemesis of not scoring will kill us. Reason for both of the above Ls and the North Star cup. We get boatloads of criticism for our defense. But our defense doesn't cause us to not score...and in fact, helps as much to score or more than any hockey team in the NCAAs. Hence a big reason why we do so poorly in shoot outs. As mentioned in the game thread, we often just run out of steam and can't score. In Friday's over the last month plus, we're 6-0-0. On Saturday's, we're 2-3-1.

Again, I'll continue to watch. But I'm starting to transition to off season thinking. It will likely be too bad that probably the most talented group on campus since our back to back went out this way. While pretty good, I don't see our group of recruits next year as being among the best we've had. Our defense should remain solid. But with questions about our recruiting class's ability to score goals and with the likely forwards remaining (esp vs. that of Michigan) and its hard to be optimistic. Sorry about the downer Monday

Comment

Best record over last 14 games and we are still on the tourney bubble. I guess that shows how crappy we were during the middle of the season.
                  PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                  Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                  NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    Very well done! Now, starting on Friday, they need to refocus on winning the next prize!
                    I hope they can keep their eyes on the prize. I'm not as confident about this weekend as I was the last one though.

Comment

And yet the "experts" say I am wrong when mentioning the Gophers are starting to click. It's funny.

Comment

It would be an even better tidbit if it were true.

FWIW, and because I saw some earlier posts that Quinnipiac's game against Harvard may have some significance relating to MN's tourney hopes, I saw an article this morning that indicates Quinnipiac's best forward is out.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                          And yet the "experts" say I am wrong when mentioning the Gophers are starting to click. It's funny.
                          Considering none of those teams we have played in the last 14 games are even in the top 20 of the current Pairwise (and the two games we played before those 14 were losses against teams that will make the NCAAs), I don't think it is outrageous to question if maybe playing less than stellar competition has something to do with it.
                          University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                            Did they play Anybody?
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Apparently not

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                                I hope they can keep their eyes on the prize. I'm not as confident about this weekend as I was the last one though.
                                Me neither. They are away from home in a hostile environment, on an NHL sized sheet, and after last weekend they seemed to maybe celebrate a little TOO much. I think how they do depends, once more, on their level of motivation. If they play desperate, like if they lose they're out, they should win. I'm just not convinced they will.
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X