Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota @ Penn State: 2/20 & 2/21

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    I still,think they're in the drivers seat for an autobid if they avoid more than one loss between now and the conference finals, but I admittedly do not analyze the PWR at all.
    If they only lose 1 more, and it doesn't come to OSU, I have to think they will be sitting pretty good for an at-large bid.
    If they lose 2 more, it could start to get a little dicey.

This was, on paper, the toughest weekend remaining in the regular season. If MI wins tomorrow, we will come out of it sitting exactly where we were in the conference heading into the weekend.

This was also the weekend that offered the most opportunity for teams around them in the PWR to make moves. With 1 result still pending (Harvard v BC on Monday) we look like we'll come out of the weekend 1 spot up from where we entered it.

All in all, not that bad. I didn't get to see the game today, but from the sounds of it they played pretty well for most of the game. They won both the 2nd and 3rd periods. Seems the PK, a bad penalty or two and a wasted 1st period cost them.

The rest of the RS is filled with winnable games and sweepable weekends. If they take care of business they should be fine heading into post-season play. I've been holding out hope that they can somehow creep into a #2 seed, and going undefeated starting with this weekend at PSU would have gone a long way toward that. But considering where they were sitting a month ago, I can't be too disappointed with their position right now.

Comment

Bowling Green getting swept helps a lot and Providence lost too.

Comment

Yep.
        I was actually wrong, MN moved up 2 spots in the PWR as they came into the weekend at 13th.
        If BG and Prov hadn't been upset MN still would be in 13th. That UMass win put a serious dent into Providence's RPI.

But a lot of other potentially significant games worked out well. Teams around the Gophers played each other and tied mostly (Lowell-BC, Yale-Q). Vermont missed an opportunity by tying Merrimack. Quinnipiac missed an opportunity by tying Brown. Harvard lost to St. Lawrence.

The only "big" game remaining in the ECAC is Harvard v Quinnipiac. Hockey East won't have any until the 2nd round of their tournament (although Notre Dame getting some points against BC would be doubly beneficial for the Gophers).

And then Harvard v BC on Monday. Given Harvard's downward slide, I think I'd like to see them win that one. A tie wouldn't be so bad either.

And the Gophers better come ready to go against Sparty next weekend. No more fricken ties against those Wolverine rejects

Comment

The Nittany Lions showed up on both occasions with their signature game of tenacious backcheck and forecheck, physicality on the walls, block shots and passes, dump and chase and get pucks on net at all costs. And they almost buried the Gophers in the first period in both games. On Friday night, credit Wilcox with some brilliant saves or it's 3 zip Penn State after one instead of 1-0 Penn State.

Again, Saturday's game was a similar scenario. The Gophers came out with some nice skating, but out of sync in transition and in the offensive zone. Poor passing, missed shots, a one man forecheck, and no puck support put the Gophers behind the eight ball 2-0 after the first period.

The Gophers somewhat found their mojo in the 2nd and 3rd periods both games. But on Sat. Penn State's D seemed determined to hang with MN's cycling superiority, blocking nearly 30 shots and playing hardball on the walls. Fortunately, Wilcox, my #1 star again this weekend, was on his game making game saving stops on point blank, in his face shots by Scheid and Richard in the third to keep it close at 3-2 Penn. Warning tied it with 40 seconds remaining sending the game into OT. But Penn State was relentless and kept coming burying the winner on a PP in OT.

Boyd continued his extraordinary prowess as a #2 star, netting his 14th and 15th goals on the PP on Sat. But IMO not an impressive road split overall for the Gophers with only 2 ES goals for the weekend. But we'll take it against a very energetic, confident and well coached Penn State team in front of a raucous hockey loving crowd at Happy Valley. Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
            But we'll take it against a very energetic, confident and well coached Penn State team in front of a raucous hockey loving crowd at Happy Valley. Go Gophers!
            Harley, I don't disagree at all with your summary, but OMG flash back to two years ago. Who would have ever predicted that we'd be satisfied with a split on the road against a then brand new Penn State team? Almost unthinkable!
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              Harley, I don't disagree at all with your summary, but OMG flash back to two years ago. Who would have ever predicted that we'd be satisfied with a split on the road against a then brand new Penn State team? Almost unthinkable!
              Agreed, in just two seasons they've made very good progress and their fan base support is strong. I like the systems Gadowsky has brought to the table to improve this team. Everyone expected they would need some time to build the program and two years ago they had a huge freshman class (14). But now they're seeing the fruit of their labors with those same guys as Jrs. with experience and solid coaching. They're only losing 2 D and 2 F next season, so Penn State will be a very good hockey team next season with one of the largest senior classes in college hockey. I suspect they'll be a preseason contender to compete for the B1G title and an NCAA bid in 2015-16.

Comment

PSUs atmosphere reminded me a bit of St. Paul Saints. This year there was great hockey, but even in prior years it seemed like a really fun atmosphere they've made there.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  PSUs atmosphere reminded me a bit of St. Paul Saints. This year there was great hockey, but even in prior years it seemed like a really fun atmosphere they've made there.
                  Even in the club days (seems so long ago now), PSU hockey had a great atmosphere. Granted it was a smaller crowd and in a dump of a rink, and obviously less competitive hockey, but we had a blast there.

Great games this weekend, Gophs

Comment

Originally posted by nappyvalley View Post
                    Great games this weekend, Gophs
                    Its why college hockey is the best sport.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                    X