Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota hosts Michigan: 2/13 & 2/14

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    The winged helmet is pretty much universally recognized. (I can't believe I'm about to say this) Just look at the golden domers, no need for a dancing leprechaun or ND on their helmets. You see the shiny gold helmet, you know who it is. You see the winged helmet, you know who it is.

I find the whole 'tArrogance' adorable. That your posters must continually refer to it, as if to make an excuse for saying things which might be construed as arrogant, shows a lack of arrogance.

It's ok. At Michigan, we're better than you, and we know it.
    Sure it is, because it's just that ugly. Likely for the same reason everyone knows what the mascot is at University of South Carolina or how many people can still do the Macarena dance. Some things, both good and bad, just stick in your mind.

I can't believe I am explaining this, but you do realize we didn't come up with tArrogance on our own. Maybe we added the "t" but other than that, it was given to us by the world. We have always been branded this way, so why not embrace it? Bonus that we know it gets to you. If it didn't, this whole conversation would not have even started. Yet, here we are. Cute you think you are on the same level as us. Keep trying. You might get there someday.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
      Your reason 2 I'm not comprehending.
      Minnesota has played for decades in a conference against schools that are normally well in its shadow. We haven't had OSU, MSU, Notre Dame in our conference. We were an even bigger dog in the old WCHA than Michigan was in the CCHA...and as the only D1 program in the state, still are in Minnesota. So every old WCHA and current MN team circles the dates against us. The few games we have against schools with our stature...the Gophers get up for those schools. Prior to this year's sweep, the Gophers record was 12-6 against Michigan since 2000, 6-2 against Notre Dame since 2000, and our record in our most recent series against BC is 3-0-1...with a 23 to 7 goal differential. So I probably misspoke before...but I mean the Gophers often play at their best against large, overall equally prestigious programs.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
        That part gets me. If you were really comfortable, you wouldn't be so offended by the constant razzing you take for the helmets. So let's see... put on some weird pattern that most people think is ugly, or put on the unifying symbol of your school that is pretty much universally recognized? Seems like a no-brainer to me, but maybe that's because I just know better.

Who's offended? I'm not. I'm a Michigan alumni, for God's sake- my Mom even hates Michigan being a Buckeye. I understand and accept that.

I'm just observing that it's interesting coming from a team that thinks that they are so arrogant. As if you need some kind of mental "pick me up." Funny.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Minnesota has played for decades in a conference against schools that are normally well in its shadow. We haven't had OSU, MSU, Notre Dame in our conference. We were an even bigger dog in the old WCHA than Michigan was in the CCHA...and as the only D1 program in the state, still are in Minnesota. So every old WCHA and current MN team circles the dates against us. The few games we have against schools with our stature...the Gophers get up for those schools. Prior to this year's sweep, the Gophers record was 12-6 against Michigan since 2000, 6-2 against Notre Dame since 2000, and our record in our most recent series against BC is 3-0-1...with a 23 to 7 goal differential. So I probably misspoke before...but I mean the Gophers often play at their best against large, overall equally prestigious programs.
          So since this is THIS season, what happened in January? The first game was close, but the second one wasn't.

Comment

Your what hurts?

Comment

Heil heil to those mother...
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                i so love puffy-chest U fans. Is it the concept of irony or hypocrisy that you lack more?

Gophers sweep.
                I think that you meant "Gophers get swept."
                Originally posted by alfablue
                Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  Does it make you feel better to belittle other teams fans and their uniforms? You feel superior because you call other people clueless?

That's interesting. Maybe we should look into that more. Seems like you have some issues with your personal outlook. You need some more self esteem.
                  They're all Prince fans, logic is foreign to them. Now you know why Wisconsin is full of drunks. They live in the next state, they have to be bombed to be able to put up with them.
                  Originally posted by alfablue
                  Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                  Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                  I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Interesting history in the UGLY helmet saga:

But the most dramatic change in headgear occurred on an otherwise uneventful day in late February 1989. Former captain Alex Roberts remembers it like it was yesterday. "Right before the league playoffs, we're coming up the stairs to the locker room" he recounts, "and we start smelling fresh paint. The smell's everywhere. "We get up to the top of the stairs and see the training room tables in the hallway with a bunch of helmets on 'em painted dark blue with the yellow wings, just like the football team's—and we literally thought it was a joke. The helmets were to out of the normal protocol. We're like, 'Where are our real helmets, the white ones? What the hell are these? We were laughing our asses off. Then Red (Berenson) comes in and says, 'You guys are wearing these.'

"That night we bought Red one of those baseball caps with the football helmet design on it and gave it to him the next day. 'If we're gonna wear these things on our heads, you are too.' He did."

"Funny thing was," Roberts adds, "we had all gotten buzz cuts that week for team unity before the playoffs. And now we all had to readjust our helmets to fit our smaller heads, which meant the yellow stripes were all out of whack." But the design got the attention it was supposed to get. When the Wolverines came out for warm ups against Bowling Green to open their best of three playoff series, the Falcons actually stopped what they were doing to gawk at the Michigan team's new look. "We just said, 'Hey man, this is us,"' Roberts recalls, chuckling. "We've gotta do what we're told. 'All I can say is, we felt pretty corny."

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                      They're all Prince fans, logic is foreign to them. Now you know why Wisconsin is full of drunks. They live in the next state, they have to be bombed to be able to put up with them.
                      Those drunks leave their own state for here in droves and Prince > Nugent. Put the puffy away you're not worthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        Heil heil to those mother...
                        I apologize that we don't have a come back for that. Mostly because we have no idea what your fight song is.

For a school that hates us so much- it's fascinating that so many of you know history of our helmets more than we do, that you take our fight song and alter the words for fun.

I can't think of a single thing that is equivallent the other way. Not one.

Isn't that interesting?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          i so love puffy-chest U fans. Is it the concept of irony or hypocrisy that you lack more?

Gophers sweep.
                          Since you don't have a quote- which poster do you mean has a puffy chest?

We are not the ones trying to throw insults to you....

Comment

I apologize that we don't have a come back for that. Mostly because we have no idea what your fight song is.

For a school that hates us so much- it's fascinating that so many of you know history of our helmets more than we do, that you take our fight song and alter the words for fun.

I can't think of a single thing that is equivallent the other way. Not one.

Isn't that interesting?
                            Not when you stop to consider that your average U of Mich hockey fan isn't as well versed in college hockey as a U of MN fan.

(Was that an arrogant statement?)

Comment

You Michigan fans are no fun, lighten up.

At least becky, jan brady and even whioux fans knew how to get a thread going... I miss the old WCHA.

Comment

Since you don't have a quote- which poster do you mean has a puffy chest?

We are not the ones trying to throw insults to you....
                                Quite simple, really. "Know thy enemy." Someone isn't educated in the art of war, I see.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X