Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

California - The State of (Pro) Hockey - does that impact College hockey out west?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California - The State of (Pro) Hockey - does that impact College hockey out west?

With the announcement that 5 AHL teams will play in California next season, with a couple more likely to follow in a year or two, California is arguably the new State of Hockey. I know that will make all the Minnesotans' heads pop off but at least with regard to pro hockey, does any one state have more (8) professional teams (I haven't looked). Anyway - does all this professional hockey in California have a positive or negative impact on getting more college hockey programs in the west or is it completely a different animal so it will have no effect?

Re: California - The State of (Pro) Hockey - does that impact College hockey out west

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
    With the announcement that 5 AHL teams will play in California next season, with a couple more likely to follow in a year or two, California is arguably the new State of Hockey.
    Yea a few AHL teams moving there will now make it the state of hockey. Yep. OK.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Re: California - The State of (Pro) Hockey - does that impact College hockey out west

With the announcement that 5 AHL teams will play in California next season, with a couple more likely to follow in a year or two, California is arguably the new State of Hockey. I know that will make all the Minnesotans' heads pop off but at least with regard to pro hockey, does any one state have more (8) professional teams (I haven't looked). Anyway - does all this professional hockey in California have a positive or negative impact on getting more college hockey programs in the west or is it completely a different animal so it will have no effect?
      Warning - You have awoken something you really don't want to wake.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
        Warning - You have awoken something you really don't want to wake.
        Ha- I know. Was trolling a little bit there!

Comment

I know that will make all the Minnesotans' heads pop off but at least with regard to pro hockey, does any one state have more (8) professional teams (I haven't looked).
          NY has more, currently and going forward.

NHL: Rangers, Islanders, Sabres
          AHL: Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton, Albany, Utica, Glens Falls (obviously they will move west next year, but they are supposed to get an ECHL team instead)
          ECHL: Elmira

Comment

Even with the re-alignment, NY will have the Sabres, Rangers, Islanders (NHL); Albany Devils, Binghamton Senators, Comets, Crunch, and Amerks (AHL); Glens Falls will pick up Stockton's ECHL team, Elmira Jackals (ECHL), amongst others.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
              NY has more, currently and going forward.

NHL: Rangers, Islanders, Sabres
              AHL: Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton, Albany, Utica, Glens Falls (obviously they will move west next year, but they are supposed to get an ECHL team instead)
              ECHL: Elmira
              Doesn't Watertown have a team in the league below ECHL, or are we considering that a beer league?

Comment

Yes. The NHL putting 3 teams in the most populous state in the country already proved that it is the true state of hockey. The 5 AHL teams cements it. Clearly there is no state more hockey crazy than California. Just look at all 30 of the players in the history of the NHL that were born in California.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv...ince=&state=CA
                Originally posted by SJHovey
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                  Yes. The NHL putting 3 teams in the most populous state in the country already proved that it is the true state of hockey. The 5 AHL teams cements it. Clearly there is no state more hockey crazy than California. Just look at all 30 of the players in the history of the NHL that were born in California.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv...ince=&state=CA
                  Its hilarious how bent the Minnesotans get. But it seems that NY has more teams so can lay claim to the title. I hereby anoint NY the new State of (pro) Hockey.

But the real point of the thread was the question about whether these AHL teams will have any impact on getting additional schools (like ASU did) to offer hockey? My guess is there is no effect although I am hoping I am wrong.

Comment

Its hilarious how bent the Minnesotans get. But it seems that NY has more teams so can lay claim to the title. I hereby anoint NY the new State of (pro) Hockey.

But the real point of the thread was the question about whether these AHL teams will have any impact on getting additional schools (like ASU did) to offer hockey? My guess is there is no effect although I am hoping I am wrong.
                    Do native Californians even know that ice doesn't always come in a glass?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      Doesn't Watertown have a team in the league below ECHL, or are we considering that a beer league?
                      There is a team in that Federal Hockey League... which I guess is technically a step below the Coast. Alexandria Bay had a team in the league as well until this season.

Comment

It is a ridiculous premise, even if California had more teams than New York. Just because I pointed out how stupid your claim was doesn't mean I am "bent" about it. It can't even be taken seriously, how could I be mad about it?
                        Originally posted by SJHovey
                        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                        Originally posted by Brenthoven
                        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

I am a native Californian who was introduced to hockey 3 years when I started attending Quinnipiac. While it is great news that these teams are heading west we must remember there have been teams in Bakersfield and Stockton for some time now and it hasnt moved the needle much. Growing up in California I never once watched an NHL game on TV. The problem is there are almost no kids playing ice hockey. For the game to grow significantly in the state, I believe it will have to come from the bottom up. The Kings can win the Cup every two years but until there are a good amount of kids playing the sport the needle wont move much IMO
                          Quinnipiac University '15
                          ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
                          ECAC Championship: 2016
                          NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
                          NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
                          Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                            It is a ridiculous premise, even if California had more teams than New York. Just because I pointed out how stupid your claim was doesn't mean I am "bent" about it. It can't even be taken seriously, how could I be mad about it?
                            Of course its a ridiculous premise. It was intended to be. That's why I said all the Minnesotans' heads would pop off. Which yours apparently has. Which shows how bent you got, which is funny. You got so upset you missed the entire point of the thread, which was about college hockey out west, which reinforces your bent-ed-ness, which is also funny. Relax, just poking a little fun. San Tropez was so right on his post!

Comment

Originally posted by BigAl View Post
                              ..we must remember there have been teams in Bakersfield and Stockton for some time now and it hasnt moved the needle much. Growing up in California I never once watched an NHL game on TV. The problem is there are almost no kids playing ice hockey. For the game to grow significantly in the state, I believe it will have to come from the bottom up. The Kings can win the Cup every two years but until there are a good amount of kids playing the sport the needle wont move much IMO
                              whole state has like 40 odd ice sheets.. that is another issue.. accessability to facilities. these teams moving out west will def help with the increase in facilities, fan base, interest as a whole.. which in term will tie into.. if you build it.. they will (might?) come. My personal opinion is California & hockey have a great future ahead.
                              GO NU HOCKEY
                              Always bullish on the future.
                              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Working...
                              X