No announcement yet.

North Dakota at UNO - 1-30/1-31 - The biggest series in UNO program history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: North Dakota at UNO - 1-30/1-31 - The biggest series in UNO program history

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    Yep. Pretty entertaining hockey this weekend. If that kind of series can't develop interest in college hockey in Omaha, nothing can.

Zane gave up a couple of soft ones again, but really came up big on a few others, including at the end of the game.

Got the split we needed. Now a couple of weeks to go heal up those nagging little injuries, then make the big final push.
    That final save with .001 seconds left was superb.
    If we could extend Blais' contract, that'd be greeeaaatttt

Comment

• Re: North Dakota at UNO - 1-30/1-31 - The biggest series in UNO program history

Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post
      All I can say is wow. All four games these teams have played so far were all very hard fought. This weekends games were phenomenal. Both decided in OT no less.

Tip of the hat to Massa. While Zane did have a good weekend other than that soft goal tonight, Massa wins the goalie duel.
      Agreed. UND controlled the play all weekend...Massa was the better goalie. The only reason UNO was in it tonight was due to Massa's play for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by gomavs#1 View Post
        Agreed. UND controlled the play all weekend...Massa was the better goalie. The only reason UNO was in it tonight was due to Massa's play for sure.
        Not all weekend but I do think that UND was the more dominant team overall. That being said Massa is unreal and NoDak tends to take incredibly dumb penalties at incredibly bad times. No doubt that UNO is the real deal though. Best of luck to omaha and it's fans, that is until we meet again.

Comment

When I signed on for this, 18 seasons ago, weekends like this one, which took that long to finally get here, are what I signed on for.

It doesn't get much better than this weekend was. Would I have liked to have won both games? Sure. There are lot of people around here that have listened to Tom Osborne say for years that if you play well and lose, you have nothing to hang your head about (all while Osborne spent the first 20 seasons or so of his coaching career losing a lot of big games, some with the title on the line) and that was what this weekend was about, really, for both teams. Neither team has any reason to hang its head.

I reckon there aren't a lot of teams lining up to play either us, or, North Dakota. If they are #1 then we are in the realm of #1A. UNO fans have seen Minnesota State, too (split), and they are part of this discussion as well, obviously, with apologies to BU, which I have seen little of.

The NCHC is probably going to get at least 4 teams in the tourney and they will be a handful for anyone that draws one of them.

I've never felt better after a loss that I can recall. Weird.

What an amazing turnout tonight given the horrendous weather here. Easily the biggest student turnout for a Saturday night UNO home game I have ever seen. Too bad the weather and the fact that the game was televised on local (non-cable, non-satellite) TV that made a lot of people that held tickets stay home. They missed a barn-burner. My guess is that the crowd tonight would have been quite a bit larger had the weather cooperated. Took me almost an hour to drive home, something that unusually takes 20 minutes or so.

Easily double the North Dakota fan presence tonight from last night. I hope they enjoyed themselves because it is the last time they are ever going to be able to show like this here again unless Trev Alberts makes good on his insinuation that we play some "high demand" games, still, in the Clink.

This was one fine weekend of college hockey here in Omaha. No other way to put it. These two teams have had a knack for putting on quite the show in the 14 times they have now squared off, all time.

One last thing, it is amazing to me that our team has played so well this season with so many underclassmen. Coach Blais did say during his radio show a few weeks ago that all the freshman in our class were a team captain from wherever they came here from, besides being, by and large, stars on their respective teams as well. That said, my hopes, really, were for next year's team because we have 16 underclassmen, currently, who will be better players next season, barring pro defections, a great looking (on paper, albeit, smaller) class coming in again next season and I thought those things, coupled with the excitement of moving to a new arena (see: Minnesota-Duluth) might make next season the "special" season.

What the hell? Lets just do it, now.
          Last edited by Red Cows; 02-01-2015, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
            Easily double the North Dakota fan presence tonight from last night. I hope they enjoyed themselves because it the last time they are ever going to be able to show like this here again unless Trev Alberts makes good on his insinuation that we play some "high demand" games, still, in the Clink.
            I wouldn't count on that. We're like a bad case of athlete's foot. No matter what you do or try you just can't seem to get rid of us.
            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
              I wouldn't count on that. We're like a bad case of athlete's foot. No matter what you do or try you just can't seem to get rid of us.
              I dunno. With only 7,500 seats available and the school saying they expect to sell out every game next season (and, I believe this is true), North Dakota fan is going to have to buy what secondary market tickets are available, and, I would guess that they will come with a price because of limited availability of those. I am sure some are going to be able to wiggle there way in, but it will never again be a 4 digit number like it has for all the games you have played here. No way.

Frankly, I'd rather we DO play some "high demand" games at the Clink. It also means more of our fans will be there, too. I don't think the presence of 2,000 or so ND fans had any impact on the outcome of the game tonight. And, it benefits our school financially while adding, IMHO, to the overall atmosphere of the game.

My disgust at the size of our new arena is not news to anybody that frequents this board and is well trodden ground in that regard. We built an arena so small is "locks" you guys out, as well as some of our own fans.
              Last edited by Red Cows; 02-01-2015, 12:33 AM.

Comment

So taking a plane didn't work either. UND and traveling back from Omaha just doesn't work. Maybe UND should petition the NCHC for a new rival based solely upon this. It's always a disaster.
                Last edited by Dirty; 02-02-2015, 10:03 AM.
                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

So taking a plane didn't work either. UND and traveling back from Omaha just doesn't work. Maybe UND should petition the NCHC for a new rival based solely upon this. It's always a disaster.
                  That is officially hilarious. Apparently, the ground crew at Eppley are all UNO hockey fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                    That is officially hilarious. Apparently, the ground crew at Eppley are all UNO hockey fans.
                    You'd think UND/whomever they flew through could file a complaint. How about these clowns do their job?
                    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Does UNO ever have trouble leaving North Dakota?
                      Or are they just happy to be headed south?
                      GO DU !!!

Comment

• Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                        Does UNO ever have trouble leaving North Dakota?
                        Or are they just happy to be headed south?
                        I think the past two years UNO has played them in the fall when the weather isn't as bad.

Comment

Working...
                        X