X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU Season Thread II: The Resurgence

interestingly enough....

monday was the first W that bu has had with eichel being held without a point (1-2-3)
    when eichel scores a goal, bu is 12-0-0

Originally posted by defkit View Post
    Sean - what do you mean? Were they going to award a tie if they didn't allow that goal? To my knowledge, they have never done so in the history of the tournament.
    i see 5 (maybe) 3rd place games that went into OT. all of them were decided in the 1st OT.

now going into this game monday, i certainly hope that if they are tied after 1 then end it
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
      Sean - what do you mean? Were they going to award a tie if they didn't allow that goal? To my knowledge, they have never done so in the history of the tournament.
      Yes, that is what I am saying. This is the rule regarding tied games from the 1987 NCAA Ice Hockey Men's Rules and Interpretations (1986-87 season when the game was played):

Tied Games
      SECTION 43. a. If the score is tied at the end of three regulation 20-minutes periods, the following shall take place:
      1. The teams shall not change ends.
      2. A 10-minute period shall be played.
      3. The team that scores first wins and the game is ended. If no goal is scored in the 10-minute period, the game shall be declared a tie.

b. Any overtime period shall be considered part of the game and all unexpired penalties shall remain in force.

c. If either team declines to play in the necessary overtime period, the game shall be delcared a loss for that team.

NOTE: Unless there are extenuating circumstances, the ice will be resurfaced. The normal intermission shall be in effect. All tournament games will be played under the direction of the tournament committee.

According to the TV announcers they were told in the event of a tie in the consolation game there would be no overtime, but one was played. I believe that the tournament committee thought they could waive the overtime period based on the note in the rules book. However, that note was intended for how a tournament determined winners of games which needed a winner, i.e., the semifinals and championship game, not a consolation game. In the end, the overtime was played and the rule was clarified, likely the following off-season, but no later than the 1991 NCAA Ice hockey Rules and Interpretation (1990-91 season) when the following rule was in place (Tied Games now being Section 45):

Ties in Tournament Competition
      SECTION 46: When advancement in a bracket or the determination of champion is necessary, any series in a format (e.g., total-goals series, single game, minigame series) that results in a tie will be broken by 10-minute, sudden death overtime periods. The ice shall be resurfaced upon completion of regulation play.

Regarding no consolation game ties, there have only been 5 consolation overtime games, the last one being Len Clegraski's 556th career win. All of those games played a 10-minute overtime, with 4 of the games being decided between the 65 and 70 minute and 2 in the last minute. According to the NCAA Ice Hockey 2014-15 and 2015-16 Rules and Interpretation (http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/IH16.pdf) Rule 91: Tied Games (there are a lot more rules these days!) third place games may follow the overtime procedures as described in Rule 91. I would take this to mean there would be a 5-minute overtime in the event of a tie after regulation in a consolation game.

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
        Wasn't that Lenny's. 500th? #UnderPressure
        It was Len Clegraski's then record setting 556th career win, most all-time for a college coach. The TV announcers thought it might never be broken...

Sean

BU Hockey Games
        NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• Beanpot Ovetime Games

Here is a list of all 40 Beanpot overtime games. One sheet is longest to shortest and one sheet is by date:
          https://www.dropbo*****/s/nsj2nwjfao...ames.xlsx?dl=0

Sean
          Last edited by Sean Pickett; 02-04-2015, 09:13 PM.

BU Hockey Games
          NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• BU Beanpot Stats

Here are my BU Beanpot stats.

https://www.dropbo*****/s/vjj8454gb2...npot2.doc?dl=0

Sean

BU Hockey Games
            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

• Re: BU Beanpot Stats

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
              BU has had its share of players named McCann - Pete (late '50's), Jim (late '60's), Chris (late '80's - early '90's). To the best of my knowledge, they're not related.
              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                BU has had its share of players named McCann - Pete (late '50's), Jim (late '60's), Chris (late '80's - early '90's). To the best of my knowledge, they're not related.
                Add one more. Peter "Ace" McCann played for the 1972-73 Terriers.

Jim McCann was BU's goalie when Jack Parker was captain and was later the longtime president of the Friends of BU Hockey.
                The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Page 2 on game day!? The fans are getting sucked into Beanpot 'tweener letdown. Sound the alarm!!!

A couple of quick things. I watched the Harvard game last. What an outstanding effort by the Terriers after the first period. (Seven shots on goal during one powerplay!? ) The better team won.

On Touchgate: I thought Ahti pushed the puck like someone who thought he was just touching it to get a whistle. I truly believe that was his intent. Should he have corralled it instead? Of course. And I'm sure he will next time. Blown call.

On PuckOnHarvardPlayerInTheGoalgate: It may have been completely over the line, but how could you tell from the replays offered? Unless there was a camera directing over the goal line, there was no way of knowing.

Eichel played an excellent game with numerous chances. His pass to ERod on the Bell Weather save that hurt Michalek's lower body was sick.

Gotta get up for Lowell tonight. Tough match-up.

BU Hockey: Back From the Beanpot Abyss
                  It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                    On PuckOnHarvardPlayerInTheGoalgate: It may have been completely over the line, but how could you tell from the replays offered? Unless there was a camera directing over the goal line, there was no way of knowing.
                    You didn't think the netcam was a great view showing the puck well over the line? I don't really care either way, but that one view from behind the net made it seem very obvious it was over the goal line. Harvard player in the crease anyway so screw the smaht kids (is that why the faceoff came out of the zone?).
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                      You didn't think the netcam was a great view showing the puck well over the line? I don't really care either way, but that one view from behind the net made it seem very obvious it was over the goal line. Harvard player in the crease anyway so screw the smaht kids (is that why the faceoff came out of the zone?).
                      It was in

But from the wider angle off the side you could see the red from behind lean on the goal and push the net fwd (up in the back )
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                        Good point Nick. I did think it looked over the line, but since you can't actually see the line in that instance, I get why they called it inconclusive. And yeah, the faceoff outside the zone made me wonder if they went with the "man in crease" defense.
                        It Happened!!!!

Comment

I'm going up to Lowell tonight. Got the OK to leave work at 3pm. I'm taking the T home to get my car, then drive up there. Given the hellacious commute this morning on the Orange line, maybe I should've left at noon. Hoping to get up there and find a parking space before the third period begins!!! I kid, but part of me is terrified that will come true. I hope the team left already. It could take them an hour to get out of the city.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                            I was at that game and I though the horn sounded before the puck went in the net. As it was the end of the single overtime period to be played I don't think there was any pressure on the refs.

Sean
                            I was there as well and recall it being well late. Was that the year Kelfer's spin around goal in slot beat NU in OT?

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                              I was there as well and recall it being well late. Was that the year Kelfer's spin around goal in slot beat NU in OT?
                              Yes, it was the same year, 1987. Northeastern had defeated Harvrad in overtime in the semifinals, 5-4, making that the only year 3 of the games went to OT.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Getting ready to follow BU on the liveblog tonight.

BTN is putting Wisconsin v. Penn State on my TV. That'll probably suck.

Comment

Working...
                                X