UConn Hockey Classic - December 29-30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UConn Hockey Classic - December 29-30

Listening to the game, it sounds like UMass dominated possession for 48 minutes. Then Saturn lined up in the 7th House of Mercury, the rivers ran blood red, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse showed up, and Bentley scored two goals in 24 seconds, followed by a UMass 10 minute game misconduct.

Kyle Rank stood on his head, knitted a tea cozy, read some Voltaire, and stopped 39 of 40 shots.
    Bentley University Hockey
    On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by umassfan49 View Post
      I keep having visions of Bentley winning this, so if somehow they do you herd it here first.
      Good call, umassfan49. Wish that I could have been there, but was fun listening on the radio.

Comment

Kudos to Bentley. The Falcons did the League proud last night.

As for UConn, what can one say? The talk of a tiny number of scholarships is coming a decade too late. That might have been helpful in Y2K, but it won't make a difference these days. The athletic department has to think much bigger than that if they want to keep the program. If they are not willing to get off the schneid, they should just close it down and run a club program.
        Last edited by RSTuthill; 12-31-2009, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
          Kudos to Bentley. The Falcons did the League proud last night.

As for UConn, what can one say? The talk of a tiny number of scholarships is coming a decade too late. That might have been helpful in Y2K, but it won't make a difference these days. The athletic department has to think much bigger than that if they want to keep the program. If they are not willing to get off the schneid, they should just close it down and run a club program.
          How many, if any scholarships does UConn give currently?

Comment

Originally posted by umassfan49 View Post
            I keep having visions of Bentley winning this, so if somehow they do you herd it here first.
            Nice Call! I called it in my Hockey East pool but I bet I was the only one.
            sigpicHalf of what he says goes way over my head. The other half goes way, way over my head."

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post
              How many, if any scholarships does UConn give currently?
              I thought I heard the WRUC radio guys mention 2 as the number of scholarships but I'm not sure if I heard them right or if they were serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                I thought I heard the WRUC radio guys mention 2 as the number of scholarships but I'm not sure if I heard them right or if they were serious.
                Two now or two coming next year? If next year, I suggest they go out and get a goalie and a defenseman or two.

Comment

I mentioned this on our Bentley thread, and I figured I would say it here too because I woke up this morning pinching myself that this game really happened.

Anybody whose been around the Bentley program for the last couple years is not 100% surprised by it, and umassfan49 you said it best by saying you wouldn't be entirely surprised. It's a credit to Coach Soderquist and everyone associated with a program that has its back to the wall in so many respects.

This win will help continue to legitimize a program that is often overlooked and wins like these and Canisius's win will help to continue to legitimize a conference that has a number of bad hockey teams, programs, and arenas.

This win feels gratifying on so many levels but not entirely shocking. To quote Adam Vinatieri after SB36, and by no means comparing this to that (so please do not skewer me...I wouldn't dare compare anything to my beloved Patriots super bowl wins haha): "We shocked the world but we didn't shock ourselves."

Congratulations to our Falcons!!!!
                  Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Actually, many AHA fans were not surprised either. The Bentley program has been building. And after all, I think UConn beat UMass awhile ago or at least tied them. (Union too, for that matter.) So most of us figured something like this would happen pretty soon. Congrats to Bentley that they made it happen for them.

I did have another thought about UConn though. If they were to add two scholarships per year for the next six years, that would get them competitive over time. It would take longer than their fans would want to see and would postpone the day that they could actually make some revenue off the sport. But it might be more feasible from the Athletic Department's standpoint.
                    Last edited by RSTuthill; 12-31-2009, 01:46 PM.

Comment

I did have another thought about UConn though. If they were to add two scholarships per year for the next six years, that would get them competitive over time. It would take longer than their fans would want to see and would postpone the day that they could actually make some revenue off the sport. But it might be more feasible from the Athletic Department's standpoint.
                      What is the AHA policy on number of scholarships?

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                        What is the AHA policy on number of scholarships?
                        Isn't league policy limited to 10 or 12? I know it's not the full amount allowed by the NCAA, for some reason 10 or 12 sounds right.
                        National Champions 2014!
                        Cleary Cup Champions 2011, 2012, 2014, 2017!
                        Whitelaw Cup Champions 2012, 2013, 2014!!!
                        Let's Go U!!!

Comment

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...risToJoin.html

Comment

Oh ... What A Day!!!

All UConn needs is a couple more days like yesterday and they will be in a position to give the Men's Hockey program its long needed scholarships.

Huskies football wins 20-7 over South Carolina in the Papa Johns Bowl, in Birmingham, Alabama. And it wasn't that close.

Men's hoops beats Notre Dame by 12.

Women's hoops (mainly the bench) beats Seton Hall by 67 (that's right, 67 -- 91 to 24).

An historic day, to say the least.

Comment

Re: Oh ... What A Day!!!

All UConn needs is a couple more days like yesterday and they will be in a position to give the Men's Hockey program its long needed scholarships.

Huskies football wins 20-7 over South Carolina in the Papa Johns Bowl, in Birmingham, Alabama. And it wasn't that close.

Men's hoops beats Notre Dame by 12.

Women's hoops (mainly the bench) beats Seton Hall by 67 (that's right, 67 -- 91 to 24).

An historic day, to say the least.
                              That's a maguffin. UConn's athletic program has the resources now (ok, maybe not tight-economy "now") to do just that and they have right along. Its a matter of institutional desire more than anything else.
                              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                              Skating Friar Jersey
                              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                              X