UConn Hockey Classic - December 29-30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UConn Hockey Classic - December 29-30

Pretty sure there is not a thread on this. No offense to the Ledyard, but this is really the tournament that nobody cares about.

2009 UConn Hockey Classic
    December 29-30th at Mark Freitas Ice Forum (UConn)
    Game 1: UMass vs. Union
    Game 2: Bentley vs. UConn

Union has been playing great hockey as of late and UMass just put a stop to their recent skid by beating Merrimack. I think it will be a good matchup to see guys like Marcou and Wellman face off against Valery-Trabucco of Union. Game 1 should be a great game, with Atlantic Hockey foes Bentley and UConn clashing in the later game. Any thoughts/predictions for this? UMass seems to always play badly in these holiday tournaments and I think they really need to win both games in order to make any sort of NCAA run and to keep a decent Pairwise spot. Hopefully they can do so, but with teams like Union playing well it should be difficult.
    Let the Rebuilding Begin

Re: UConn Hockey Classic - December 29-30

Union v. UMASS is by far the best match-up on paper. Shame its a neutral site game in a small barn on a Tuesday afternoon.
    2008-2009 ECAC Pick The Standings Contest Champ!

Comment

Originally posted by Union93 View Post
      Union v. UMASS is by far the best match-up on paper. Shame its a neutral site game in a small barn on a Tuesday afternoon.
      the entire tournament, imo, has never made much sense. UConn is deserted over break and its a "company town"... nothing much more than the school there.

I think this tournament separates the die-hard fan from the normal fan. Needless to say I won't be at this one.
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post

I think this tournament separates the die-hard fan from the normal fan. Needless to say I won't be at this one.
        I guess that means you can call me die-hard!
        Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

I agree that this tournament lacks sizzle but I think it takes on some degree of significance at least for UMass and (plain old) U. UMass is a very good team from what I've read and Union is a program with a lot to prove and which is on a roll. This will obviously be a big test for them and hopefully for UMass as well. There have also been some contentious games between these two teams over recent years so this might be as well. Additionally, Union's next win will be Nate Leaman's 100th as coach.

I don't mean to be dismissive of UConn and Bentley, but I don't really follow either that closely. Maybe some of their fans can get on board here.

Does anyone know if there will be video streaming of the games? I couldn't find any mention of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
            Does anyone know if there will be video streaming of the games? I couldn't find any mention of it.
            IIRC the AHA has a deal with the B2networks but I don't know if that will extend to non-UConn games.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

I haven't decided if I'll be going to the games yet, depends on the weather tomorrow. Hopefully Union can stay on the roll they were on before the break.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                IIRC the AHA has a deal with the B2networks but I don't know if that will extend to non-UConn games.
                I checked B2 and only the Bentley UConn game appears to be on the broadcast schedule.

Comment

Actually, I think that both games tomorrow should be great. Two evenly matched teams in both. I'm skiing in the morning and headed to Storrs mid afternoon.

Two hours from the NYCD and half an hour less from Amherst. Weather should be fine. What else have you guys got better to do?

Wednesday might be a bit more problematic. Have to see how the AHA looks these days. But I suspect that either AHA team will be able to acquit itself well.

Comment

Would UConn have any better luck moving this tourney downtown to the CC?
                    Bentley University Hockey
                    On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

What is the parking situation around Storrs? I plan on showing up around 2-ish, taking a walk/drive around campus and having late lunch with a friend at Ted's (heard that it was a good place and close to the arena)...
                      Dartmouth College: NCAAs 1948 1949 1960 1979 1980
                      University of Massachusetts: NCAAs 2007, ECAC Div. II Champs 1972

"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                        Would UConn have any better luck moving this tourney downtown to the CC?
                        Yes they would.
                        There has been talk about an annual tourney with the 4 Connecticut D1 teams but it has yet to materialize and the Hartford CC woud also be an ideal location for that event.

The UConn Holiday Tourney will draw between 1 -to- 2000 people tomorrow at the overlap point and would draw well Wednesday if UConn can get past Bentley tomorrow.

It is a well run event and the participating teams are treated well and enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullmoose View Post
                          What is the parking situation around Storrs? I plan on showing up around 2-ish, taking a walk/drive around campus and having late lunch with a friend at Ted's (heard that it was a good place and close to the arena)...
                          We go every year and there is never any real problem with parking. The lot at the rink is a pretty good size lot. If it happens to be full, there is an indoor lot across from Gampel Pavilion that is only a short walk to the rink.

Comment

I keep having visions of Bentley winning this, so if somehow they do you herd it here first.
                            Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

Originally posted by Bullmoose View Post
                              You will have zero trouble parking. Ted's is about hmm I'd say ten minutes at most walk from the arena. (It's not a direct walk.)

As a UConn alum and an attendee at many games. (Work is somewhat interfering with this tourney) there really is a lack of sizzle. I have no problem with the on ice product, but there is just something missing atmosphere wise compared to some of the other regional teams. Never mind having a tournament while the students are on break. UConn Hockey is largely an afterthought and it's too bad. There isn't a bad fan turnout, but like was said, sizzle would be good.

Comment

Working...
                              X