Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

    if any of you i spoke with at intermission are looking for other places for good beer (other than jolly pumpkin, arbor brewing and grizzly peak) wolverine brewing on stadium has great brews. A good lunch with good beer can be found in Ypsilanti at either the Wurst Bar or Red Rock.
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.
    Arenas visited:
    7 B1G
    9 WCHA (all except Huntsville)
    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)

    Comment


    • Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

      Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
      if any of you i spoke with at intermission are looking for other places for good beer (other than jolly pumpkin, arbor brewing and grizzly peak) wolverine brewing on stadium has great brews. A good lunch with good beer can be found in Ypsilanti at either the Wurst Bar or Red Rock.
      Saw you on TV.
      I booed.

      Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions


      And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
      Twenty red lights in his honor
      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

      ~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

      Comment


      • Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

        Very tough 4-3 loss for the Gophers to swallow in OT. But as in recent outings, their woes tonight were more self inflicted than anything else. The matchup lived up to the hype with both teams coming out of the gate flying and showcasing their own brand of racehorse style hockey. The Gophers played an excellent passing, puck possession game for good stretches of the 1st and 3rd periods and IMO looked like the overall better team tonight.

        But once again the Golden Gophers shot themselves in the foot with incredibly poor shot accuracy, D lapses around the net, and costly turnovers. There were a plethora of errant shots that either went wide or ended up in Racine's breadbasket. In the 2nd, the Gophers attempted 28 shots, but only 7 landed on net. Turnovers and D lapses allowed Larkin, Hyman and Selman behind the D and inside for close range goals on Wilcox. And on the offensive side, key players contributed but it wasn't enough with only one 5 x 5 goal. The scoring woes for Ambroz, Cammarata and Fasching continued, who have only scored a combined 1 G in the last 11 games.

        I hate to rip into Lettieri because he skated hard tonight, but his attempt to block the GWG in OT by going down on one leg instead of committing his body was pathetic. A hal******* effort like that always begs the question, "How badly do you want to win this game?". The Gophers showed good speed, skill, and tape to tape passing; but made too many mistakes, while missing the net again far too often tonight. That translates into a MUST needed win tomorrow or the Gophers will be teetering on the edge of the PWR bubble.

        Originally posted by UMICH View Post
        Too bad he wrote it while on 'schrooms...
        Don't partake of the forest goodies...try again?
        Last edited by HarleyMC; 01-09-2015, 10:40 PM.

        Comment


        • Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

          Originally posted by HarleyMC
          But once again the Golden Gophers shot themselves in the foot with incredibly poor shot accuracy, D lapses around the net, and costly turnovers. There were a plethora of errant shots that either went wide or ended up in Racine's breadbasket.
          The forwards also misfired on several would-be goals very close in, including a couple of attempted wrap-arounds when there was a teammate wide open right in front.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

          Comment


          • Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

            Originally posted by D2D View Post
            The forwards also misfired on several would-be goals very close in, including a couple of attempted wrap-arounds when there was a teammate wide open right in front.
            The wraps were too slow and obvious, and the misfires were into bodies. I see a lot of guys shooting with their head down which you learn NOT to do in Shooting 101. This team shoots random shots in the general direction of the net and is not in the habit of picking their spot, it's as simple as that. Reminds me of 2009...the dark days.

            If we lose tomorrow and BC, Denver, Yale, Quinnipiac and Colgate win or any significant combo thereof...the Gophers may find themselves outside the PWR bubble and with the weak schedule of B1G teams this half that's called let's play double jeopardy. I'll take "Can the Gophers make the NCAA playoffs?" for $50, Alex.

            Comment


            • Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

              Michigan should be embarrassed. Should have won by three.
              the state of hockey is good

              Comment


              • Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

                Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                Very tough 4-3 loss for the Gophers to swallow in OT. But as in recent outings, their woes tonight were more self inflicted than anything else. The matchup lived up to the hype with both teams coming out of the gate flying and showcasing their own brand of racehorse style hockey. The Gophers played an excellent passing, puck possession game for good stretches of the 1st and 3rd periods and IMO looked like the overall better team tonight.
                Which is why many of us really like it when Minnesota comes to down. Fun as heck to watch, and the same play that we try to do. Where the Gophers could pass and posses, Michigan was 1" off much of the night- between passes being missed and pucks not staying on sticks.

                It may have been you (as I'm too lazy to look back) who predicted that Michigan would block a lot of shots- man oh man you were right. The two GLI games where be blocked a ton of shots was kind of new this year, and didn't expect to see it continue. Even with all of those blocks, the shot differential was clearly in the Gophers favor.

                What's fun about that kind of game is when each team takes their opportunity dominating in the offensive zone, and everyone is on edge about a potential goal.

                One odd thing I saw- there were times that I thought each team was going to take a penalty or two- because it looked like they had skates of lead. Thankfully, the game was mostly played very cleanly. Funny how the speed of the game gives you a perception that someone is going slowly. I'm glad that the "slow" times had no impact.
                Last edited by alfablue; 01-10-2015, 09:07 AM.

                Comment


                • Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

                  Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  Which is why many of us really like it when Minnesota comes to down. Fun as heck to watch, and the same play that we try to do.
                  Similar but not the same. Both teams play serious, full on up tempo...and that's what we both like about it. But I see Minnesota as pure puck possession, fast forward, defensive integration...and Michigan as superior individual efforts with an uncanny knack for opportunism.
                  Go Gophers!

                  Comment


                  • Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

                    Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                    Similar but not the same. Both teams play serious, full on up tempo...and that's what we both like about it. But I see Minnesota as pure puck possession, fast forward, defensive integration...and Michigan as superior individual efforts with an uncanny knack for opportunism.
                    I think you see it correctly. Another observation: both teams' biggest weakness is carelessly turning the puck over at inopportune times. Last night Michigan's "uncanny knack for opportunism" was the difference.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

                    Comment


                    • Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

                      This is entertaining, I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing?
                      Originally posted by alfablue
                      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

                        Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        I think you see it correctly. Another observation: both teams' biggest weakness is carelessly turning the puck over at inopportune times. Last night Michigan's "uncanny knack for opportunism" was the difference.
                        So, what is their excuse today? M-i-n-n-e-s-o-t-a has immense talent, too but they got swept because of consistent defensive failures, not "opportunism". Very similar teams, similar weaknesses and talent, but neither look like good NCAA tourney teams right now, although Michigan is 10-2 in their last 12. Both can compete offensively with the best teams out there. We'll see.

                        Comment


                        • Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

                          Originally posted by streaker View Post
                          So, what is their excuse today? M-i-n-n-e-s-o-t-a has immense talent, too but they got swept because of consistent defensive failures, not "opportunism". Very similar teams, similar weaknesses and talent, but neither look like good NCAA tourney teams right now, although Michigan is 10-2 in their last 12. Both can compete offensively with the best teams out there. We'll see.
                          Can't disagree, except Michigan WAS very opportunistic in taking advantage of Minnesota's numerous defensive failures. Goaltending, which until very recently had been a strong point, was also an issue tonight. Hopefully the rematch series in mid-February will still be relevant for the home team.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

                          Comment


                          • Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

                            Oh it will be, I just hope Michigan pulls at least a point. 3 would be great but we'll see.
                            Originally posted by alfablue
                            Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                            Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                            I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X