Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Ok, Wisconsin was B1G Champs, Minny B1G Regular season champs.

    Doesn't ring the same, does it.... And based on the problem that you didn't win the B1G Championship- I would not say that the one you didn't win was the easier to win. If it was easy, you would have won.

    But if you need a banner for a regular season title, it's just a matter of some fabric.
    "Regular Season Champs" of what confernce? The Big Ten. Hence the "Big Ten Regular Season Champs".

    I'd say the title that takes consistent play over an entire conference season (20 games) is more difficult to win than the title that takes consistent play over a weekend (2-3 games) to win. That said, the Conference Tourney Championship may be more meaningful in terms of how well a team is playing going into the National Tournament.

    Last season the Gophers played tremendously well most of the regular season, but weren't playing their best hockey at the end of the year (hence getting swept at Wisconsin and losing at Yost) . Good thing we were able to get back on the right foot against Bob Morris and St. Cloud in the NCAA Tourney and ride that thru the Whioux to the Championship game (where the wheels fell off).
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
      But how many homegrown Wisconsin players played for Wisconsin?

      Their B1G tourney title is tainted.
      They all play elsewhere
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

      Comment


      • #63
        Michigan is your opponent this week.

        Stay on topic!

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          Michigan is your opponent this week.

          Stay on topic!
          Opponent may be too strong a word.
          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
          Steam Profile

          Sports Allegiance
          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

          Comment


          • #65
            Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

            Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
            "Regular Season Champs" of what confernce? The Big Ten. Hence the "Big Ten Regular Season Champs".

            I'd say the title that takes consistent play over an entire conference season (20 games) is more difficult to win than the title that takes consistent play over a weekend (2-3 games) to win. That said, the Conference Tourney Championship may be more meaningful in terms of how well a team is playing going into the National Tournament.

            Last season the Gophers played tremendously well most of the regular season, but weren't playing their best hockey at the end of the year (hence getting swept at Wisconsin and losing at Yost) . Good thing we were able to get back on the right foot against Bob Morris and St. Cloud in the NCAA Tourney and ride that thru the Whioux to the Championship game (where the wheels fell off).
            Whatever it takes to explain it. Losing the easy weekend sounds so hard to do.

            It's not like we knocked anyone socks off last year.

            Comment


            • #66
              Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

              A thread dominated by a UMi and UW fan? How gouache.

              Comment


              • #67
                Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

                Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                A thread dominated by a UMi and UW fan? How gouache.
                Hey. It is pretty amazing anyone would call themselves a UW fan, especially this year.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

                  Originally posted by Koho View Post
                  Hey. It is pretty amazing anyone would call themselves a UW fan, especially this year.
                  But you have to admire anyone who does.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

                    Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    Just HAVE to pretend that the bee hive is a pinata, didn't you....



                    Still, not sure why that would make me hate fans from the other school any more had the play been reversed.
                    The fans are part of the program, as far as I'm concerned. There's a reason many of us say "we" when referring to our team.

                    So, a couple games like that...and/or bad fan experiences...hatred will grow.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

                      Lol. Only someone from outside the old WCHA would think the tournament champion is the league champion. What a silly concept.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

                        I'll go out on a limb here in saying that going forward this series will evolve into the biggest rivalry of the season for both teams. It may take a while for fans to realize it's significance, but it will, over time, become the most important in the regular season. Each team historically has earned the reputation as being the "preeminent" program in their state, and each relies on mostly home-grown talent to achieve greatness by aiming to win a NCAA Championship.

                        I'm looking forward to a great series this weekend.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

                          Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          I'll go out on a limb here in saying that going forward this series will evolve into the biggest rivalry of the season for both teams. It may take a while for fans to realize it's significance, but it will, over time, become the most important in the regular season. Each team historically has earned the reputation as being the "preeminent" program in their state, and each relies on mostly home-grown talent to achieve greatness by aiming to win a NCAA Championship.

                          I'm looking forward to a great series this weekend.
                          Have you neen to a Michigan-Minnesota game recently?

                          It's already there.

                          Fans from both schools know the history, and know their programs relative significance to current hockey as well as the other teams. Not including State, Minny holds a VERY high regard in terms of fans at Yost, along with programs like BU and BC. Now that we are all part of the B1G, we are lucky to get to see it a LOT more oftent. This rivalry has stood the test of 30 years of not being in the same conference.

                          It's not UM-MSU or Minn-Wisco- and never will be. It's different. And that's good.

                          Fans don't have to hate each other to be a rivalry- but both schools do expect that the highest play on ice will happen. The teams both know it's required.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

                            4 pm hockey should only happen during tournaments.

                            Speaking of tournaments, how am I supposed to watch NFL playoffs with my Ravens playing the Tom Bradys and attend the Michigan hockey game vs. the goofers at the same time?
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.



                            Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G
                            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                            2 Alaskan

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

                              Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                              4 pm hockey should only happen during tournaments.

                              Speaking of tournaments, how am I supposed to watch NFL playoffs with my Ravens playing the Tom Bradys and attend the Michigan hockey game vs. the goofers at the same time?
                              Ever heard of a DVR?

                              "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

                              USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

                              Everything is Hill's fault.....

                              "Hakstol you hack!!!!"

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 1/9 & 1/10

                                Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                                Ever heard of a DVR?
                                Will be employing mine to record the Gopher-Badger women's game on BTN (4:30 start).
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X