Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2015 Mariucci Classic: Minnesota Merrimack Lowell RIT

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Mecca is not cold, although it might feel as such to wuss coasters.
    I hate the cold. I think 40 degrees is cold (unless it's March; winter blood and all). And the Mecca is not cold.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

We are MC fans who will be at Mariucci this weekend! Looking forward to a good weekend! Not sure how many other MC families will be traveling. One family had to cancel their trip. There are also some Minnesota families of the team - guessing they will be there.

And for those wondering about the arena. It is nice. No coffee will be freezing.

It will be nice to have so many teams ranked in this tourney. Let's go Warriors!!

Comment

Mariucci is very comfortable, no worries about getting cold.
        At least while in the arena.
        Welcome to MSP and have fun.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
        And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
        Twenty red lights in his honor
        Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Since Goldy Jr is coaching a squirt game l'm bringing a backup. Father of a former Gopher goalie will be joining me Friday.

Comment

Can any Gopher fans confirm if this stream for the first game is actually going to stream the game?

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...mariucci1.html

I know (nearly?) all your games are televised, so you probably do not usually see an online stream on your site... thoughts?

edit: just found in your game notes the non-televised games for the tournament will be streamed!
            Last edited by UML Puck Hawk; 01-01-2015, 07:10 PM.
            BS UMass Lowell 2015
            PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
              Can any Gopher fans confirm if this stream for the first game is actually going to stream the game?

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...mariucci1.html

I know (nearly?) all your games are televised, so you probably do not usually see an online stream on your site... thoughts?

edit: just found in your game notes the non-televised games for the tournament will be streamed!
              Sounds good to me
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Game Day!

News and notes from Gophersports

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...123114aaa.html

No. 8 Gopher Hockey hosts the 24th annual Mariucci Classic this weekend with No. 7/9 UMass-Lowell, No. 18 Merrimack and Rochester Institute of Technology all making their second-ever appearances at the traditional holiday tournament. Minnesota takes on Merrimack to open the event at 7 p.m. CT on Friday, Jan. 2 (TV: FOX Sports North PLUS; Stream: BTN2Go; Radio: 1500 ESPN/Gopher Radio Network) while UMass-Lowell and RIT play on Friday at 4 p.m. (Free stream on GopherSports.com).

Minnesota will play either UMass-Lowell or RIT on Saturday, Jan. 3 at 7 p.m. (Stream: BTN Plus; Radio: 1500 ESPN/Gopher Radio Network) while Merrimack will play the other opponent at 4 p.m. (Stream: Free on GopherSports.com).

About the Mariucci Classic
                Named for the legendary John Mariucci, who was an All-American player and coach for the Gophers, the Mariucci Classic is now in its 24th year. Minnesota has won 13 of the previous 23 tournaments -- last doing so in 2012-13. RIT returns to the Mariucci Classic as the only team in the field to beat Minnesota at the event, finishing second in 2007-08 while UMass-Lowell finished second behind the Gophers in its only Mariucci Classic appearance in 2005-06 and Merrimack finished third at the event in 2004-05.

The University of Minnesota is 32-12-2 all-time at the Mariucci Classic (Minnesota’s two ties have been decided by shootouts with a win in 2007-08 and a loss last year vs. Colgate).
                Originally posted by CavalryNate
                Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy View Post
                  We are MC fans who will be at Mariucci this weekend! Looking forward to a good weekend! Not sure how many other MC families will be traveling. One family had to cancel their trip. There are also some Minnesota families of the team - guessing they will be there.

And for those wondering about the arena. It is nice. No coffee will be freezing.

It will be nice to have so many teams ranked in this tourney. Let's go Warriors!!
                  Good luck to the Warriors this weekend!

Very good defensive team; goalie Ras Tirronen has been excellent this year (was out late in the 1st half with an injury, but should be fully recovered). Team has good mix of size and skill. One of the "oldest" teams in the country. Up front, watch for freshman Brett Seney (their youngest player). Very quick.
                  Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

RIT's MGM line will have to come up big for the Tigers to have any chance of getting a win out of the tournament. The Tiger penalty kill has been stellar this season as well and will need to continue.

The Tigers have defeated at least 1 ranked (at the time) team every season they have been in DI except for last year. They will get 2 chances to start a new streak, and these may be their last chances unless they get to the NCAAs.
                    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2010 Frozen Four participant
                    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Interesting matchup for the evening tilt of 2015 Mariucci Classic with the Merrimack Warriors the #9 ranked defense in GA (1.88) vs. the Golden Gophers #6 ranked offense in the nation in GF (3.43). Both teams and goalies matchup very well averaging about 30 SOG/G, with the SV% for goalies Wilcox (.926) and Tirronen (.929) nearly dead even.

When opportunity knocks, special teams will play a key role for the Golden Gophers with the nations #1 PP clicking at a phenomenal 34%, and PPG/PP over the last three games at a staggering 7/12 (58%), allowing opponents only 1/11 (9%). Merrimack does not fill up the box too often, but if and when they do, the Gopher PP has been a strike force lately and will put a ton of offensive pressure on Tirronen. Capturing the early lead is another key for the Gophers tonight who are 8-0-0 when leading after 1, while the Warriors have lost 4/6 when trailing after 1 period.

I think the Gophers will come out of the gate fired up for the second half, renovated and ready to play their fast break/puck control style game. Merrimack is a fairly young team with 10 FR, and will need to make adjustments on Olympic ice to match the speed and skill of the more veteran Gopher team. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of scoring out of the Gophers for the W. Go Gophers!
                      Last edited by HarleyMC; 01-02-2015, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                        Good luck to the Warriors this weekend!

Very good defensive team; goalie Ras Tirronen has been excellent this year (was out late in the 1st half with an injury, but should be fully recovered). Team has good mix of size and skill. One of the "oldest" teams in the country. Up front, watch for freshman Brett Seney (their youngest player). Very quick.

Speaking of size and skill watch out for Hampus Gustafson. 6'4", 205lbs soph forward. Leads HEA in PP points and is 2cnd in faceoff %. He's won a ridiculous 183 faceoffs in 17 games, 56 more than the next best guy in HEA.

No offense to RIT but game 1 tonight could get ugly. I think Lowell went to MN hungry to make a statement.
                        Last edited by Fishhawk; 01-02-2015, 12:40 PM.

Comment

I have an extra ticket for the game (Minnesota/Merrimack) tonight. I don't want any money for it, however I will be late (7:15) , so if you want to be on time, you have to come get it from my work ( North Mpls. ) You don't have to sit with me, but if you see me in the arena, you have to give me the nod as if you approve of me. P.S. Yes it is okay if you are not a Gopher fan.
                          Last edited by captain beefheart; 01-02-2015, 03:36 PM.
                          You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Originally posted by Fishhawk View Post
                            Speaking of size and skill watch out for Hampus Gustafson. 6'4", 205lbs soph forward. Leads HEA in PP points and is 2cnd in faceoff %. He's won a ridiculous 183 faceoffs in 17 games, 56 more than the next best guy in HEA.

No offense to RIT but game 1 tonight could get ugly. I think Lowell went to MN hungry to make a statement.
                            Depends on which RIT team shows up this afternoon but the current OOC record for them is let's say, dismal!
                            RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

The video feed doesn't seem to be working. Bummer.
                              Lowell Forever
                              Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by captain beefheart View Post
                                I have an extra ticket for the game (Minnesota/Merrimack) tonight. I don't want any money for it, however I will be late (7:15) , so if you want to be on time, you have to come get it from my work ( North Mpls. ) You don't have to sit with me, but if you see me in the arena, you have to give me the nod as if you approve of me. P.S. Yes it is okay if you are not a Gopher fan.
                                Fine, I'll put one butt cheek in each seat. Beware of the armrests of section 16.
                                You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Working...
                                X