Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2015 World Junior Championships

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I think we're headed in that direction, if you could just take the next step and disband the Development Program.
    sounds better... one of my coworkers has a brother who was invited to the USNDPT. He declined and eventually quit hockey because he didn't want to leave home in HS. Different trade offs... naturally... but he was in Buffalo... not exactly a hockey free zone. Now, don't feel bad for him... he's an engineer who gets called in by corporate to play golf. (Note that the co-worker himself tried to play D-III and ended up playing/coaching ACHA in grad school)

It just makes me wonder how many out there choose not to make that sacrifice.

That being said, I think any time you can improve a wide swath of people you're going to reinvest that in the generation after as players learn what it takes and coaches it to the next group or their kids. But that's sort of the "right now" versus the "down the road" view.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      It won't happen because we have to many guys sucking the kids dry. Making 6 figures plus off of 8 year olds annual $50 fee. Sickening

When they gave The old Brown coach, Grill, the head ADM job for northeast I couldn't believe it.

Runs the trap, and a bad one at that, but now he is in charge if teaching kids their skill set

Laughable good old boys network
      That's why Minnesota Hockey (the organization) clashes with USA Hockey so much. Has been that way for decades. Like Herb said, great coaches, staff, etc... in the program. The administrators at USA Hockey are a different story.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by Patman View Post

It just makes me wonder how many out there choose not to make that sacrifice.
        Plenty of MN kids over the years have turned it down to play MNHS hockey, but we're seeing more kids leave HS hockey early these days, so the number that turn the opportunity down has decreased.

The goal of the program is obviously winning, but as much as that it is designed to increase exposure for kids for the NHL draft.

I've heard it said that, all things being equal, USA Hockey will pick a kid from a non traditional market over a traditional hockey market because there is less chance that the kid from the traditional market will fall thru the cracks if not chosen. That's a good thing IMO.

Problem is, like others have mentioned (and Herb elluded to in that article), the program touches far too few kids for the amount of $$ we spend.

Comment

I hate Canada. I'll turn this one back on if they tie it up.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
            Plenty of MN kids over the years have turned it down to play MNHS hockey, but we're seeing more kids leave HS hockey early these days, so the number that turn the opportunity down has decreased.

The goal of the program is obviously winning, but as much as that it is designed to increase exposure for kids for the NHL draft.

I've heard it said that, all things being equal, USA Hockey will pick a kid from a non traditional market over a traditional hockey market because there is less chance that the kid from the traditional market will fall thru the cracks if not chosen. That's a good thing IMO.

Problem is, like others have mentioned (and Herb elluded to in that article), the program touches far too few kids for the amount of $$ we spend.
            There's been talk in the past of the "three sport athletes" and those have really gone down hill as every sport has trended towards early specialization. That being said I think there's a lot of value taking time to build up the athlete-human as opposed to the instrument of hockey playing. The nuances of hockey strategy and hockey sense only matters so much when you are a step slower than the rest. All athletics come down to exertion that results in adaptation and recovery from that exertion. The remainder is strategy, which is important, but worthless without the skills.

I don't have any background in hockey. But, with the eagerness to get kids out there playing at every conceivable moment I can't help but think that the cycle of useful exertion and rest is not put to good use.

Now, hockey is not the only sport that has that problem. I watched a strength training interview with a former NFL football player that implied that some of the exercise tasks given to instill mental toughness took a useless toll on the body. Namely, in that case, through rhabdomylosis (I had to look that up) in that their muscles were so abused and damage that the body flushes it away. Talk about wasted progress. In the sake of toughness you're sapping the one engine of the football player... physical strength.

We've come good ways in knowing what's good and bad... yet I think there's still more to come in allowing people to participate in useful training cycles.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Is the WJC being streamed live (Canada v Russia) can't seem to find it on nhlnetwork...
              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Is the WJC being streamed live (Canada v Russia) can't seem to find it on nhlnetwork...
                tsn.ca sometimes does...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  Since USA is eliminated, nhl.com won't stream it. There are streams, but you have to search for it (them).

Harper 2 Putin 1 7:00 left in 1st.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Thanks that's what I figured!
                    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by Patman View Post
                      There's been talk in the past of the "three sport athletes" and those have really gone down hill as every sport has trended towards early specialization. That being said I think there's a lot of value taking time to build up the athlete-human as opposed to the instrument of hockey playing. The nuances of hockey strategy and hockey sense only matters so much when you are a step slower than the rest. All athletics come down to exertion that results in adaptation and recovery from that exertion. The remainder is strategy, which is important, but worthless without the skills.

I don't have any background in hockey. But, with the eagerness to get kids out there playing at every conceivable moment I can't help but think that the cycle of useful exertion and rest is not put to good use.

Now, hockey is not the only sport that has that problem. I watched a strength training interview with a former NFL football player that implied that some of the exercise tasks given to instill mental toughness took a useless toll on the body. Namely, in that case, through rhabdomylosis (I had to look that up) in that their muscles were so abused and damage that the body flushes it away. Talk about wasted progress. In the sake of toughness you're sapping the one engine of the football player... physical strength.

We've come good ways in knowing what's good and bad... yet I think there's still more to come in allowing people to participate in useful training cycles.
                      Very interesting stuff. Thanks for posting!

Comment

• Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                        Not to derail a good discussion but:

Slovakia takes bronze.

And we already know most of the US's group for Finland next year (per Mark Masters)

Group A
                        RUS-CAN winner
                        Sweden
                        USA
                        Switzerland
                        Denmark

Group B
                        RUS-CAN loser
                        Slovakia
                        Czech Republic
                        Finland
                        Belarus
                        That's a brutal group for the USA once Canada wins this.
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                          That's a brutal group for the USA once Canada wins this.
                          Not so fast Prez!
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Everyone who turned off the game, need to go turn it back on.
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Tee hee!

Some serious puckering going on north of the border.

Can almost feel the pull.

Comment

Almost tied...

Comment

Working...
                                X