Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2015 World Junior Championships

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
    Now, everyone remain standing for ten minutes for the Russian national anthem.
    This made me laugh... Happy New Year!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
      You trying to tell me there were no 95's better than Matthews and a few few other forwards. Of course there were. Also, love Hannifin but he needs to stop trying bout for scouts. Two orvtgreectimes yesterday hexwasblooping around neutral zone, turning back and over handling puck with F's standing on blue line wide open. Sickening to watch. Other countries dontcworry about politics and conflicts and load the team. US does not do that and it shows. The pumping of tires and promoting for the draft chesprns the event
      Makes me think about how Herb Brooks picked the 1980 team -- completely ignoring the advice from the varous suits and ties of USA Hockey, and going with the players he felt he could win with the system he was planning, even if it meant leaving off better, more talented players. It was the most apolitical selection ever.

That bullheadedness seemed to work pretty good...
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Was listening to TSN1050 this AM and their observations on Team USA were that it was a group of extremely talented individuals that never played as a team.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          Sigh...

Go Russia.

Hate to root for them, but the alternative is far, FAR worse,

In addition, it's a lot of fun to watch Canadian fans gnash their teeth and wail when they lose these tourneys.
          At least their fans "gnash their teeth and wail". Americans just turn on the Cowboys.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Was listening to TSN1050 this AM and their observations on Team USA were that it was a group of extremely talented individuals that never played as a team.
            Trying to show off for draft. Natl team creates nothing but me me mentality. All victims
            Look at the rosters for 90 and 91 level. Laughable how many did nothing.

US us so far behind other countries it is laughable

But hey, they sucked multiple millions out of kids annual fees for their salaries so all is well

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
              Trying to show off for draft. Natl team creates nothing but me me mentality. All victims
              Look at the rosters for 90 and 91 level. Laughable how many did nothing.

US us so far behind other countries it is laughable

But hey, they sucked multiple millions out of kids annual fees for their salaries so all is well
              But we have 100 junior leagues to provide a place for every kid to play at the highest (!) level to advance to the next level.

USA Hockey is held captive by the USHL and the Ann Arbor program. The rest of us can pound sand.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                But we have 100 junior leagues to provide a place for every kid to play at the highest (!) level to advance to the next level.

USA Hockey is held captive by the USHL and the Ann Arbor program. The rest of us can pound sand.
                They should support the leagues with the millions they waste on us Natl dev

Kids shouldn't have to go to Fargo and to play vs top talent

Not giggling cross ice and run by same guts who live at the troth

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                  Re: Eichel (and McDavid thus far) what I did not see was a player that can come into the NHL next year and turn a losing team into a middling or good one. Not to say they won't be productive players, even soon, but if you're a fan of the Oilers or Hurricanes or any of the other bottom feeders (like my Devils) I don't think they make that big of a change in the fortunes of those teams for next season.
                  Let's not forget, this is McDavid's first action since he broke his hand, putting him out for over a month. So, not only has he not tested his hand in game action till now, he's also probably not in complete game shape.

Plus, like he said, "The game feels different, everything happens really fast especially jumping into a world juniors,” said McDavid of the biggest adjustment. “A lot of stuff happens fast. Just the speed of the game, stuff happens fast."

He has been getting better and better each game, as would be expected from someone having to play his way back into game shape, especially on this stage. I don't think his performance after being out awhile is a true judge of his abilities.
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Interesting discussion on the USNTDP and US Hockey Development.

Right before Herb Brooks died, USA Junior Hockey Magazine did an interview with him on the topic of the USNTDP and his thoughts on the program. It's a really interesting read if anyone cares to check it out.

Brooks: It's Time For Change

Big oil. Big tobacco. Big hockey.

At least that’s the way Herb Brooks sees it, and he’s disappointed. The former NHL and Olympic coach and player is used to being a whistleblower. And whether you agree with him or not, Brooks’ passion is undeniable. And that’s precisely why he sat down with USA Junior Hockey Magazine for an interview. “I hope it’s a vehicle for change,” said Brooks.

What Brooks is trying to fix is hockey in the United States, although he made it clear that he doesn’t see anything terribly wrong with hockey in America.

“I just see there are ways to make it better,” he said. “We’ve got great athletes in our country, an ever-increasing infrastructure and eager coaches at all levels.”

Brooks’ mission is to broaden the base of hockey in the United States, and he shared with us four steps in the right direction:

Read Rest of Article
                    Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 01-05-2015, 04:27 PM.
                    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                      Interesting discussion on the USNTDP and US Hockey Development.

Right before Herb Brooks died, USA Junior Hockey Magazine did an interview with him on the topic of the USNTDP and his thoughts on the program. It's a really interesting read if anyone cares to check it out.

Brooks: It's Time For Change

Big oil. Big tobacco. Big hockey.

At least that’s the way Herb Brooks sees it, and he’s disappointed. The former NHL and Olympic coach and player is used to being a whistleblower. And whether you agree with him or not, Brooks’ passion is undeniable. And that’s precisely why he sat down with USA Junior Hockey Magazine for an interview. “I hope it’s a vehicle for change,” said Brooks.

What Brooks is trying to fix is hockey in the United States, although he made it clear that he doesn’t see anything terribly wrong with hockey in America.

“I just see there are ways to make it better,” he said. “We’ve got great athletes in our country, an ever-increasing infrastructure and eager coaches at all levels.”

Brooks’ mission is to broaden the base of hockey in the United States, and he shared with us four steps in the right direction:

Read Rest of Article
                      I think we're headed in that direction, if you could just take the next step and disband the Development Program.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        I think we're headed in that direction, if you could just take the next step and disband the Development Program.
                        Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                          Agreed
                          I mean the expansion of USHL has been great. I do still think America spends way to much time identifying talent instead of developing it, but that goes for all sports. We're way to worried about winning at a young age to focus enough on doing things the right way even when the better players can simply overpower the smaller players of their age group. Need to focus more on how to play and fundamentals and sacrifice winning in the short term to improve skills at a later age.
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I mean the expansion of USHL has been great. I do still think America spends way to much time identifying talent instead of developing it, but that goes for all sports. We're way to worried about winning at a young age to focus enough on doing things the right way even when the better players can simply overpower the smaller players of their age group. Need to focus more on how to play and fundamentals and sacrifice winning in the short term to improve skills at a later age.
                            Well said. Couldn't say it any better.

Comment

Not to derail a good discussion but:

Slovakia takes bronze.

And we already know most of the US's group for Finland next year (per Mark Masters)

Group A
                              RUS-CAN winner
                              Sweden
                              USA
                              Switzerland
                              Denmark

Group B
                              RUS-CAN loser
                              Slovakia
                              Czech Republic
                              Finland
                              Belarus
                              Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                              Go Crimson!

Comment

It won't happen because we have to many guys sucking the kids dry. Making 6 figures plus off of 8 year olds annual $50 fee. Sickening

When they gave The old Brown coach, Grillo, the head ADM job for northeast I couldn't believe it.

Runs the trap, and a bad one at that, but now he is in charge if teaching kids their skill set

Laughable good old boys network
                                Last edited by Hokydad; 01-05-2015, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X