2015 World Junior Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Twister View Post
    I saw all of Team USA's games, along with many of the other games, and this result is a major disappointment. This team was good enough to contend for a medal and certainly good enough to beat Russia.

Eichel tried too much to be a one-man show--it didn't work. He needed to be a better teammate and use the guys around him. I put that on Osiecki and the coaches.

Watching the PP was an exercise in frustration. Too much standing around and not enough urgency to get to the net and bang in a tough one.

This is always a great event to watch if for no other reason than I get to sit and watch kids from all over the NCAA get together and put on the USA jersey.
    Agree on Eichel. He's a great player, but was as underwhelming in this Tourney as Kane has been in the past two Olympics.

Valuable experience for a young group of kids.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
      Ridiculous
      We've finished 4th or worse 6 times since our first U20 gold in 2004. 2 3rds, and 3 1sts.

Prior to 2004 we were consistently 5th or worse.

So yes the USA has recently had some good results which has lead to higher expectations. But still more often then not we aren't medaling.

We arent as good as we think we are.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Re: 2015 World Junior Championships

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
        USA is constantly overrated by US fans in international tournaments. We are the 5th best team most of the time and it ends up showing.

Next year's team will be considered the favorite for the gold medal, even if Eichel is playing in the NHL. Year in year out the U.S. is always considered a medal contender. This year's team did not lack talent but maturity. I really didn't expect them to be in the gold medal game because of that. I think that last year's debacle was worse than this year as that team should have at least made it to the semis.

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
          We've finished 4th or worse 6 times since our first U20 gold in 2004. 2 3rds, and 3 1sts.

Prior to 2004 we were consistently 5th or worse.

So yes the USA has recently had some good results which has lead to higher expectations. But still more often then not we aren't medaling.

We arent as good as we think we are.
          Prior to 2004? You mean a decade ago? So, it makes sense to lump results of a decade ago in with results from this season? Again, ridiculous.

10 years ago I didn't think we were in the same class as countries like Canada and Russia. Today, you bet we are. The sport has grown tremendously in this country the last dcade. Much more than it has in Canada, Russia, etc...

Our youth participation numbers are almost to the level of Canada's. We're seeing kids in an increasing number of markets make it to the NHL. More of this country's best athletes are playing hockey than a decade ago. Look at where Seth Jones (from Texas) was drafted. Look at where Austin Matthews (Arizona) is expected to be drafted.

We might not have the consistent results yet (but neither has Canada recently), but we are much better than you're giving us credit for.

So yeah, I think your comments are utterly ridiculous.
          Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 01-02-2015, 05:40 PM.

Comment

At least we learned 2 things from the WJC so far. Eichel exposed as pretty one dimensional and Max Domi will be in the NHL next year.

Comment

I didn't say we werent a better team.

I said we were overrated by our fanbase. Fans expect to medal every year, I think it's unrealistic, and our inconsistent performances even in the last 5-6 years bare that out.
              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post

I said we were overrated by our fanbase. Fans expect to medal every year, I think it's unrealistic, and our inconsistent performances even in the last 5-6 years bare that out.
                I think we're at a point where it isn't ridiculous for our fans to be disappointed if we don't medal every year. Not saying it's likely or should be expected, but to say fans can't be disappointed is saying that it's ridiculous to think we have a shot at getting a medal every year. We're at the point where we should be competitive nearly every year. And if you're competitive, you have a shot to medal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sisyphus View Post
                  The USA needs more kids from Minnesota and Boston. Problem solved.
                  I think it's more like a Badger for a Captain.

Pretty clear that this is Mike Eaves' fault.
                  Originally posted by WiscTJK
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                  Originally posted by Timothy A
                  Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post

I'm a fan of the US and I thought the roster was bad going into the tournament. Eichel -2! Connor McDavid will go #1, Eichel will be lucky to get #2. We needed more Dylan Larkins. Way to many alleged Super Stars and not enough role players. Why was Connor Garland not even invited to camp? I think its time to Monday morning QB the roster...

Comment

Originally posted by Sisyphus View Post
                      The USA needs more kids from Minnesota and Boston. Problem solved.
                      You may be on to something, or on something.

I like it, either way though.

Comment

Eichel made way too many plays where he tried to do it all, that doesn't work when the talent level gets better.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                          Eichel made way too many plays where he tried to do it all, that doesn't work when the talent level gets better.
                          interesting that y'all feel this way.. cause what we've been able to see of him for half a season so far is that is DOESN'T go and do enough on his own. he passes up shots to get his linemates involved (he has 3 & 14 less sog so far than his wingers).

the guys he is playing with now have developed enough chemistry to move and get themselves in position to be open for eichel. perhaps it was too much puck watching from his usa teammates this week that was the problem?
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            perhaps it was too much puck watching from his usa teammates this week that was the problem?
                            No, he was trying to do too much on his own.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                              No, he was trying to do too much on his own.
                              then had to be told to do so, cause that is not what happens at bu
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

That's exactly what he does at BU
                                BU is an 8-10 Hockey East team without him

Comment

Working...
                                X