Latest D1 Power Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Latest D1 Power Rankings

Yes, this is a pretty standard Poisson model. The one issue I've had with it in the past (and some might find this a feature, not a bug) is that there is partial carryover of strength from prior seasons (or at least there used to be... I haven't really studied his code this year). It is predictive in the sense that it generates an offensive and defensive strength for each team. It is not predictive in the sense that it doesn't look at what games remain to be played for any team and project any sort of W-L-T record from that. For a quick survey of how these models work, anyone can look at the documentation for the model I wrote in 2011... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5755704/ranking.doc
    It discusses how these models differ from KRACH and the Pairwise and how to use one predictively...

Comment

Re: Latest D1 Power Rankings

Originally posted by goblue78 View Post
      Yes, this is a pretty standard Poisson model. The one issue I've had with it in the past (and some might find this a feature, not a bug) is that there is partial carryover of strength from prior seasons (or at least there used to be... I haven't really studied his code this year). It is predictive in the sense that it generates an offensive and defensive strength for each team. It is not predictive in the sense that it doesn't look at what games remain to be played for any team and project any sort of W-L-T record from that. For a quick survey of how these models work, anyone can look at the documentation for the model I wrote in 2011... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5755704/ranking.doc
      It discusses how these models differ from KRACH and the Pairwise and how to use one predictively...
      predictive would just be the follow-up execution. The model is predictive... but if you don't use it to make predictions... well, that's on you
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
      X