Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shillelagh Tourney (Notre Dame, UND, Niagara, Colgate)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shillelagh Tourney (Notre Dame, UND, Niagara, Colgate)

Though I do not believe Niagara as a cupcake, they're still the weakest team at the tourney.

UND and Notre Dame come into the tourney with players at the WJC with arguably UND's player having a bigger impact in his absence than Notre Dame's. I rationalize this in the following ways:

1. Not knowing Notre Dame's injury status, I'm assuming that they are healthier than UND. UND has two key players out due to injury.

2. Since UND's best offensive player is out with concussion and second best out at the WJC, it's hard to imagine Notre Dame comes into this tourney not having at least SOME advantage.

Ok, I did the comparison with Notre Dame because, of UND's three opponents, I know more about Notre Dame than any of the rest.

Let's look at Standings at the moment:

UND has a record of 9-6-3 (WCHA record of 6-6-2; Non-Conference is 3-0-1)
    Notre Dame has a record of 8-8-4 (CCHA record of 5-5-4; Non-Conference is 3-3-0)
    Niagara has a record of 3-10-2 (CHA record of 1-3-1; Non-Conference is 2-7-1)
    Colgate has a record of 7-6-4 (ECACHLMAO record of 5-3-1; Non-Conference is 2-3-3)

UND has the only Non-Conference record above .500 of any of the participants, but they have been largely mediocre in conference (Colgate's conference record is the best). UND hasn't been playing very well lately. They haven't played poorly, but certainly not great hockey either.

Colgate has given up 2 more goals than they've scored over the season thus far with a non-conference differential of -3 in Nonconference play. Niagara is worse having given up 7 more goals than they've scored in Non-Conference games. On the positive side, Notre Dame has scored 4 more goals than they've allowed in Non-Conference games this season. UND has scored 7 more goals than they've allowed in Non-Conference games.

So, if theory and stats meant anything (which they don't... I'm only doing this because I'm bored as all get out)... the strongest to weakest teams statistically would be:

1. UND
    2. Notre Dame
    3. Colgate
    4. Niagara

Despite goal differential, there could be a valid argument to flip flop or tie Notre Dame and Colgate for #2. But clearly, statistically speaking, UND is the strongest and Niagara is the weakest.

So what does this mean when the tourney begins? Well, there are only 2 certain things:

1. One team of the four will win the tourney.

2. The locale seems to be a very crappy location.

How's that for meaningless rambling?
    Fire Greg Shepherd!!!!

It's spelled S I O U X

We didn't win a championship, but we won a lot of respect. - Cary Eades, North Dakota Fighting Sioux Assistant Coach (Thanks PCM)

Comment

Colgate-UND in the championship game. UND beats Niagara 5-2, and 'Gate beats NDame 3-2 or 4-3.
      Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyenthusiast View Post
        Colgate-UND in the championship game. UND beats Niagara 5-2, and 'Gate beats NDame 3-2 or 4-3.
        I'd like to see that.
        Fire Greg Shepherd!!!!

It's spelled S I O U X

We didn't win a championship, but we won a lot of respect. - Cary Eades, North Dakota Fighting Sioux Assistant Coach (Thanks PCM)

Comment

Originally posted by redwing77 View Post
          I'd like to see that.
          Colgate has a record of 7-6-4 (ECACHLMAO record of 5-3-1; Non-Conference is 2-3-3)

A very indepth over view of the Tourney. You just forgot 1 very important little tid-bit of info.
          Colgate has one of, or possibly the best line in the country, with a total of 60 points between them. The senior was a finalist for the Hobey, and 1st team All American last year, and the sophomore is at the top of the league in a number of categories. The junior is at the top of the conference in a number of offensive categories.

You were probably busy gift wrapping your wins when you were quoting (ECACHLLMAO)
          Last edited by doghok; 12-26-2009, 08:47 AM. Reason: fix quote

Comment

My grandma would be a Hobey Baker Finalist playing in the EZAC.

Sioux in Two
            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
              My grandma would be a Hobey Baker Finalist playing in the EZAC.

Sioux in Two
              We aren't drinking are we?
              Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
              Eric's Twitter
              The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by doghok View Post
                A very indepth over view of the Tourney. You just forgot 1 very important little tid-bit of info. Colgate has one of, or possibly the best line in the country, with a total of 60 points between them.
                Racking up points against the weak sisters of the poor proves nothing other than they are racking up points against ****ty teams.
                Eric's Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyenthusiast View Post
                  There is no way that Colgate beats Notre Dame. You heard it here first.
                  Eric's Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                    There is no way that Colgate beats Notre Dame. You heard it here first.
                    I agree with this.

I also don't think the Sioux will win the tourney, seeing as to how 2 of our top players will not be playing with the team.

I only like Colgate toothpaste
                    Application for Admission to the WCHA:
                    http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7...apkin_0717.htm

Fighting Sioux
                    Michigan Tech Huskies

*I refuse to participate in the Boosh Factor.*

Originally posted by SiouxTechie
                    Good morning, Lodge. I thought the soap opera was cancelled due to lack of interest?

(See what I did there?)
                    Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk
                    All that petty whining from the boys and ST comes in and buries it.

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxTechie View Post
                      I also don't think the Sioux will win the tourney, seeing as to how 2 of our top players will not be playing with the team.
                      I count three top players, but I'm no Tech fan, so I'm not sure on the whole counting thing.
                      I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
                        I count three top players, but I'm no Tech fan, so I'm not sure on the whole counting thing.
                        Well I must be behind. I counted Chay and Kristo. Who am I leaving out?

Fighting Sioux
                        Michigan Tech Huskies

Good morning, Lodge. I thought the soap opera was cancelled due to lack of interest?

(See what I did there?)

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxTechie View Post
                          Well I must be behind. I counted Chay and Kristo. Who am I leaving out?
                          I guess one of UND's other senior captains, Zajac, being out 4-6 weeks due to hernia surgery doesn't count?
                          I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

I guess one of UND's other senior captains, Zajac, being out 4-6 weeks due to hernia surgery doesn't count?
                            Oh, yeah I guess I remember hearing about that, but I have no idea what happened.

I'm cheering for both UND teams in this tourney

Fighting Sioux
                            Michigan Tech Huskies

(See what I did there?)

Comment

I still think UND wins that tourney...
                              Eric's Twitter

Comment

People who say Colgate has no shot at ND need to look a little closer at ND. Losses to Huntsville, PC, and Bowling Green (albeit in the monstrosity that is the CCHA shootout -- but we did blow a 2-0 lead in that one) mean there isn't any team that doesn't have a decent shot at beating the Irish. Notre Dame will be missing a few as well. Kyle Palmieri is out for the IIHF World Jrs, and Sean Lorenz should be out as well, recovering from injury. Other injured regulars who have missed recent games may be back, but I won't say for sure yet. Notre Dame has not yet made a habit this year of competing for 3 full periods. That's a recipe for losing to just about anyone. Their record so far is the proof.

Comment

Working...
                                X