Save Uah Hockey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Save Uah Hockey!

The product on the ice is not necessarily the primary concern, IMHO. The local media has been a great help in keeping people informed on the situation, and I don't believe people are going to pull their support based on another year or two of struggles there.

If it's not conference membership, then it's getting strong multi-year schedule deals done to insure viable seasons into the future.

Yes, UAH will be negatively recruited against due to their independent status. It will be no different than how they've been negatively recruited against for the past 10 years, especially with people like Wodon trying to convince the college hockey world that UAH is THIS CLOSE to calling it quit year in and year out.

Dr. Williams might be well served by pulling the trigger on the convo center. I can't see how a school that builds a rink for an independent team can be questioned on its commitment to the program.

This was written on a Blackberry. Please forgive any liberties in composition.
    UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
    2006 Time Person of the Year
    Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
    It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      But how soon does the camel's back break? Right now UAH's recruiting for 10/11 (and to some extent BGSU's) is down the toilet. If this stretches out beyond the 2010 FF, the 11/12 class is in a world of hurt and at that point the UAH administration is going to need to go independent or fold the D1 program.
      We'll need to go independent for 10-11.

Every indication I get out of the program is that we're willing to go as an independent presuming we can get games scheduled. It's certainly not ideal.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        yeah...and you can go all over the midwest and find rednecks...
        You are right you can, but the culture is different. Every major city in the north or south is a little different than the other. However, the twin cities is a lot more like Chicago than they are to Richmond VA. Just like Atlanta is a lot more like Richmond, VA than Chicago is. I am not even trying to say one is better than the other, but they are way different. If you have spent any amount of time in these places you would see what I am talking about.

Keep in mind I am not including DC here. That town has it's own crazy side that is unlike any where I have ever been.
        I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
          It is some what different than those places, but that doesn't mean it is not the south.....
          Most of the state population lives in the BosWash corridor, the basic definition of the urbanized Northeast. Why are people in Minnesota bent on telling me what culture the region I call home is a part of?

Nine Nations of North America and the Day America Told the Truth. give much better definitions of cultural regions in the US than some insistence on ignoring the past 200 years.

As for the actual purpose of the thread, can UAH survive as an independent beyond say 2012. While I like the Chargers, the only point on entry they'll have to the NCAA tournament is as an at large bid that no CHA (or AHA) team has ever received. I don't know if this would kill recruiting, but it will make it very hard to win any battles for players.

Comment

But how soon does the camel's back break? Right now UAH's recruiting for 10/11 (and to some extent BGSU's) is down the toilet. If this stretches out beyond the 2010 FF, the 11/12 class is in a world of hurt and at that point the UAH administration is going to need to go independent or fold the D1 program.
            Couple key criteria I'd think:

* the number of games they can schedule

* the quality of the teams they can schedule

* BG's status (after the September update that's been mentioned)

Comment

Originally posted by fangers View Post
              Couple key criteria I'd think:

* the number of games they can schedule

* the quality of the teams they can schedule

* BG's status (after the September update that's been mentioned)
              Let's say that the UAH administration bites the bullet and goes independent for 10/11.

Let's say UAH schedules the bottom feeders of college hockey in home/away scenarios and goes something like 25-9 for the regular season. Think they have a shot at the tournament or will SOS kill them?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Let's say that the UAH administration bites the bullet and goes independent for 10/11.

Let's say UAH schedules the bottom feeders of college hockey in home/away scenarios and goes something like 25-9 for the regular season. Think they have a shot at the tournament or will SOS kill them?
                1) Ok.

2) Ok.

3) SoS will likely kill them, given your assumptions. However, I don't see them scheduling strictly "bottom feeders." That has not been their past, that will not be their future.
                UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                2006 Time Person of the Year
                Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

IMHO, the quality/strength of the teams who step up and agree to work with UAH on schedules will speak volumes as to UAH's longer term chances. It's one thing to say publically "man that stinks about not getting in the CCHA", "hate to lose a team", "we support UAH", etc. etc. But when the rubber hits the road, are those same folks willing to work to get them on their schedule? Guess we'll know soon enough...

Comment

Originally posted by BoomGoestheDynamite View Post
                    Most of the state population lives in the BosWash corridor, the basic definition of the urbanized Northeast. Why are people in Minnesota bent on telling me what culture the region I call home is a part of?

Nine Nations of North America and the Day America Told the Truth. give much better definitions of cultural regions in the US than some insistence on ignoring the past 200 years.

As for the actual purpose of the thread, can UAH survive as an independent beyond say 2012. While I like the Chargers, the only point on entry they'll have to the NCAA tournament is as an at large bid that no CHA (or AHA) team has ever received. I don't know if this would kill recruiting, but it will make it very hard to win any battles for players.
                    Nobody is bent over it. Why are you fighting over if it is or is not the south? I agree southern maryland is a lot different than the DC area and northern Maryland. My other post stated that.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

For the people on this board that keep talking about location. Location does not matter here what matters is what league does UAB best fit in.

I mean look at some of the comments whether or not they should play a team that isn't even at the D1 level yet. But if it is a matter of location CCHA is just as crazy logic and I understand that Bowling Green, Miami, and Ohio State, and Notre Dame would be the closest opponents all under 10 hours but the better fit for a league is Atlantic Hockey and playing those teams as non-conference games. Get over it CCHA did not let you in. They need to get in to a league quickly because I think being an indendent will ultimately ruin the program unless a league tells them soon that they will take them by a certain year. Atlantic Hockey = Saving UAB Hockey!

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                      So... By this outstanding logic and 1750s folksy talk, you're going to tell me that Maryland and Alabama should be teamed up because the Mason-Dixon line says so, regardless of where they're actually located - have I got that right?

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                        We'll need to go independent for 10-11.

Every indication I get out of the program is that we're willing to go as an independent presuming we can get games scheduled. It's certainly not ideal.

GFM
                        Presuming they can do something they've never been able to do before. UAH has had something like three major non-conference opponents go to Alabama in the last five or six years. There's no way they're going to be able to schedule enough home games to survive, unless they can keep drawing crowds to watch UAH blow out bad club teams.

I really can't see them lasting more than a year or two as an independent.
                        Originally posted by dicaslover
                        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by fangers View Post
                          IMHO, the quality/strength of the teams who step up and agree to work with UAH on schedules will speak volumes as to UAH's longer term chances. It's one thing to say publically "man that stinks about not getting in the CCHA", "hate to lose a team", "we support UAH", etc. etc. But when the rubber hits the road, are those same folks willing to work to get them on their schedule? Guess we'll know soon enough...
                          If they don't get at least a scheduling alliance soon they might as well fold up. They should be begging to get some of those open 2010 CCHA dates.

In Bob we Trust!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                            Many younger posters on this message bored never even studied WW2 let alone the Civil War. So I guess I can understand your opinion.
                            I didn't study the Civil War? What in the world war was that then? Did we accidentally go over the War of the Roses?

Comment

Originally posted by cooperalls View Post
                              For the people on this board that keep talking about location. Location does not matter here what matters is what league does UAB best fit in.

I mean look at some of the comments whether or not they should play a team that isn't even at the D1 level yet. But if it is a matter of location CCHA is just as crazy logic and I understand that Bowling Green, Miami, and Ohio State, and Notre Dame would be the closest opponents all under 10 hours but the better fit for a league is Atlantic Hockey and playing those teams as non-conference games. Get over it CCHA did not let you in. They need to get in to a league quickly because I think being an indendent will ultimately ruin the program unless a league tells them soon that they will take them by a certain year. Atlantic Hockey = Saving UAB Hockey!
                              If UAB hockey existed in the first place, this might all be a non-issue. As it is, UAH is just up the creek.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by BoomGoestheDynamite View Post
                                While I like the Chargers, the only point on entry they'll have to the NCAA tournament is as an at large bid that no CHA (or AHA) team has ever received.
                                Actually, Niagara received an at-large bid years ago and upset UNH in the tournament.

As for this Maryland/South stuff, being a native Marylander, and having lived in the South for the vast majority of my life, I can attest that those of us from Maryland are considered southern by those north of the M-D line, and Yankees by those south of said line.

As for H'ville, it certainly has its southern roots, no question, but, having a strong high-tech industry base as well, not to mention the influx of the German scientists after WWII as well as the transplant of engineers from all around the country thereafter has created an interesting and unique southern city. Everyone from the other conference schools should come down and visit, particularly to see the Chargers at the VBS, and particularly this coming season. Ya'll would enjoy it, I assure you.

Comment

Working...
                                X