Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Save Uah Hockey!

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
    Syracuse- the closest to a men's program simply because they have a women's program. But they don't have a rink big enough for a men's team, and honestly, would probably easily slot into Hockey East, where the women's team is.
    If the Orange men go where the women are, then we have a two-team College Hockey America.

Speaking of which, and I know this belongs on the women's threads, I wonder if the talks of tOSU and QU jumping to wCHA* might resurface.

* Little w = women's.
    UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
    2006 Time Person of the Year
    Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
    It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
      Er, you'll need a BCS program to start TWO programs- Title IX and all that. Which is why so many don't in the first place. BTW, just to jump through your list real quick...

...Oh, and add to all of this that you're asking for teams to build an ice rink (or rent one) plus create two new athletic teams, complete with scholarships, during a national recession. Uh huh. Plus there's no guarantee that this helps. Like you said, teams would jump at the chance to take these teams. So in the bizarro world where USC does get a hockey team, do you think they are going to start their own conference with the Colorado and Alaskan schools, or do you think the CCHA is going to throw oodles of money at them hoping for the prospect of USC-Notre Dame, USC-OSU, USC-Michigan games. That would completely shut the door on Alabama-Huntsville and the CCHA.

Moving on, look, I want to see Alabama-Huntsville saved. It tickles me that they took Notre Dame to all those overtimes, I love that there is a team in Alabama, etc. etc.

But it doesn't do anyone any good to focus on pipe dreams. If you want to save UAH, politely make noise, attend games, buy shirts, send petitions, and if you are too far away to do that, encourage your team's AD to book a non-conference series with UAH for next year. Hopefully UAH fans come out to support the team this year, boosting attendance, and when UAH goes on the road, fans who want to see them saved go out to show they give good road attendance numbers. That's what will save UAH hockey, not waiting for a big name school to add Division I hockey out of thin air.

As for me, I do honestly hope that rather than meeting in a tournament game like last year, that Harvard takes a trip down to Huntsville to show our support. I would be honored to call a game down there, especially if it could help. Good luck to the Chargers, and I'll be rooting for you guys to make a Cinderella run that opens up the CCHA's eyes. And hopefully on the run, you beat Michigan or some other big name CCHA school (but I really hate Michigan ).
      Did you really think that list was 100% serious? Syracuse and Penn State were the only two 'legit' schools I named. Colorado was a proximity thing, USC and Texas were a namedrop.

I went to Penn State. There have been blueprints on the table for a six thousand seat rink since I was there 10 years ago. The rumors will always be constant.

The team I root/work for now is UAH's CHA brother, Robert Morris. Not much I can do to influence administration to get them on the schedule.
      Friends don't let friends go to PITT.

Save on GAS... BAN NASCAR

Comment

Contact the CCHA Athletic Directors if you support our cause.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Spydey629 View Post
          Did you really think that list was 100% serious? Syracuse and Penn State were the only two 'legit' schools I named. Colorado was a proximity thing, USC and Texas were a namedrop.

I went to Penn State. There have been blueprints on the table for a six thousand seat rink since I was there 10 years ago. The rumors will always be constant.

The team I root/work for now is UAH's CHA brother, Robert Morris. Not much I can do to influence administration to get them on the schedule.
          Hmm so the best thing to happen then would be for Penn St to go undefeated in football this year and win the Big 10. Then have a big win in national title game. Then use all the money that it will generate in winning the BCS and alumni donations to pay for new rink and team.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
            If the Orange men go where the women are, then we have a two-team College Hockey America.

Speaking of which, and I know this belongs on the women's threads, I wonder if the talks of tOSU and QU jumping to wCHA* might resurface.

* Little w = women's.
            Gah, that's what I get for spouting my mouth off on women's hockey without looking. Honestly though, is there a team that would make any more sense in Hockey East than Syracuse (yes, theoretically both programs, but I'm talking about the one that exists)? Must be why I swore they were in Hockey East already. Hate when I do that. Followed the usual laws of the internet though, correcting someone I made a dumb mistake.

And spydey, I quoted from your post 1) because I've discovered on USCHO, you never can know when someone is being serious about these things, and 2) there's like 3 pages of discussion about Penn St or other various programs coming in and somehow saving UAH, so your post, being the latest example of that, was the easiest to refute.

And of course the rumors will always be constant when it comes to hockey programs.
            Let's see, by my running count:
            Penn State has had a plan to build an ice rink since forever
            Saint Louis was going to use their new basketball arena as a rink (but the president of the university shot that idea down)
            Maryland was going to use their basketball arena as a rink (but the basketball coach shot that idea down)
            Iowa, Kentucky, USC, Georgia Tech and Texas all have successful club teams that their administrators are considering making the jump to Division I.
            Navy used the money from the Devils late owner to build a rink that isn't inside of an old mess hall (trust me, I played there, the original plan was a disaster) so that they could join Army and Air Force at the Division I level.
            Syracuse is finally going to get off the pot and get a men's team.
            Canadian colleges are going to join the NCAA and save Division I hockey.

But the point remains... even if all of these were actually true and these programs all had hockey teams, that alone wouldn't save UAH. And at this point, the only thing that will save UAH is for the CCHA to admit them or, less of a chance here, convince the AH, HE, or ECAC to pick up Alabama-Huntsville. So as a much as I'd like to imagine a hockey conference that is a cross between the SEC and ACC, the best thing to do is what GFM said, and contact the CCHA athletic directors. Or, your own school's athletic directors. I'm sure Robert Morris could give some tips on how to manage the drive to Huntsville or Bemidji can point out the good draws when UAH comes to visit and the added WCHA/CCHA rivalry it would bring about.
            Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
            Go Crimson!

Comment

Can't argue with any of that.

I'm sure if you Google enough football (or even basketball) schools, "+ hockey" you'd get a slew of Club to D-I rumors and/or stories.

Geof is 100% right. We have to all do our letter-writting part. At least in the short-term.
              Friends don't let friends go to PITT.

Save on GAS... BAN NASCAR

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                That's an opinion. Neither of us are informed enough to know what the impacts really are. Aside from not adding a real impact team in terms of prominence and revenue, what would UAH add? Is that the responsibility of our league to take on another club that could add expense to the league for minimal return? As much as I would personally like to add them, goodwill doesn't pay the bills.
                Was it the WCHA's responsibility to add BSU? It has been said a 100 times the WCHA would have been better off staying at 10 teams if the only objective was to do what was best for each individual school. I know people like Wooten think the WCHA only did what was best for them, but that is plain false. I understand taking UNO from the CCHA was better than taking UAH, but why should the WCHA take both teams? I don't think if UNO and UAH switched it would cost the CCHA much money if any at all.

The bottom line is even if the CCHA didn't want to add them they should have put it on hold and at least did a scheduling Alliance with them. Doing it the way they did makes them look bad. The powers that be in the CCHA did a poor job of PR. I realize a scheduling alliance can still happen, but things should have been planned out better.
                I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goon View Post
                  "Ther are a lot of Gopher fans that bring up the BTHC all the time."? Yes!! You going to stick your head in the sand tell me that you haven't seen this or heard this?
                  A Gophers fan could save a baby from a burning building and you'd whine that he didn't also put out the fire, so I question this accusation without even digging into it. But even after giving it serious though, no, I don't believe Gopher fans (as in there are more than one) seriously bring up the idea that the BTHC will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    A Gophers fan could save a baby from a burning building and you'd whine that he didn't also put out the fire, so I question this accusation without even digging into it. But even after giving it serious though, no, I don't believe Gopher fans (as in there are more than one) seriously bring up the idea that the BTHC will happen.
                    That is the biggest load of bull **** and you know it. In fact that is a stupid comment I wouldn't slamb someone for saving a baby, what the hell does that have to do with the BTHC.

As a the father of a two years old that has to be one of the dumbest things you have said. It has nothing to do with hockey, nor this thread. Does it really matter If like your favorite team? While I don't like the Golden Gophers It's a game, it means it's for fun and I still look at the players as being human being. And yes there are fans of the Rodents and other Big Ten Schools that bring up the BTHC, they have since 1993 when first really got into college hockey. I have seen this quite a few times because I nothing but time to surf the net at work. Swing and a miss skippy.
                    Last edited by Goon; 08-18-2009, 05:28 PM.
                    Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                    Eric's Twitter
                    The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Wow, what a melt down Goon! Are you related to FTLT?

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                        Wow, what a melt down Goon! Are you related to FTLT?
                        That isn't a meltdown that's a beat down. Who is FTLT? First Time Long Time? I do not know that person.
                        Eric's Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                          That isn't a meltdown that's a beat down. Who is FTLT? First Time Long Time? I do not know that person.
                          Lucky you. You are better off not knowing her.

In Bob we Trust!

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                            Lucky you. You are better off not knowing her.
                            Isn't she from Fargo? If this is who I am thinking of.
                            Eric's Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                              Isn't she from Fargo? If this is who I am thinking of.
                              No, she is from the Twin Cities, and lived in Fargo for a year.
                              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                                No, she is from the Twin Cities, and lived in Fargo for a year.
                                I knew Fargo was in there some where.
                                Eric's Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X