Save Uah Hockey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Save Uah Hockey!

My thinking is that maybe one of the Atlantic Hockey programs will fold (AIC?), and maybe UAH could end up joining Atlantic Hockey eventually if they don't get into the CCHA.

But, I agree, this is really bush league and elitist on the part of the CCHA.
    Boston College Eagles
    NCAA Champions
    1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Bentley University Falcons

Comment

Originally posted by tic tac toe View Post
      There are rumors that Penn St. will field a hockey team in a few years and my guess is that the CCHA may be looking at them as a twelfth team.
      Really then according to the fans that like to always bring up the BTHC that would mean they have to form a league because they would have 6 teams if you believe all of the BTHC chest thumpers.
      Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
      Eric's Twitter
      The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by lah02476 View Post
        My thinking is that maybe one of the Atlantic Hockey programs will fold (AIC?), and maybe UAH could end up joining Atlantic Hockey eventually if they don't get into the CCHA.

Is AIC in danger of folding?
        Eric's Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
          The CCHA was really the only conference that could have taken in UAH geographically. There are still oddities out there such as Air Force playing in Atlantic Hockey and the Alaska schools. However AFA can justify use of planes for training purposes and they are a natural to be in a league with Army and a possible future Navy team. UAH's future may well depend on one of four things. 1) Another team dropping out of Division 1 and a minor reshufflement of teams. 2) The BTHC becoming a reality and a major shift in both the CCHA and the WCHA. 3) Getting enough teams to form a Southern Conference. A St. Louis area team,and teams from Kentucky, Tennesee, Virginia, Georgia, etc. Far fetched but it is still possible. 4) Maybe the NCAA could step in and require each league to rotate teams so that UAH will play every one else once every 3 or 4 years until everything is settled.
          I can't think of any other possibilities. Good luck UAH, maybe a trip to the Frozen 4 by UAH next year may make the CCHA reconsider. Most college hockey fans out there want to see UAH survive. Perhaps as little as 3 CCHA teams could care less.
          I think that UAH's future in the CCHA depends on the survival of Bowling Green's program, a decent year at the box office around the CCHA and the recovery of the national economy in general and the Michigan economy in particular. I really think that the CCHA is more worried about the survival of some of it's current members than it is about the survival of a perspective member.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            Oh and by the way UAH fans; with this schedule, just WHEN are these visiting players supposed to tour the rocket museum, see the downtown area, and other "perks" that the president of UAH promoted in their CCHA video?
            I think that's more for the fans who choose to travel to balmy Huntsville in February than the players. That said, the Bemidji State guys always make a Dreamland BBQ run.

[Insert locals' commentary about how Dreamland is overrated here.]

---------

We have Web site buttons up for SaveUAHHockey.com for you to use.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Couple of things. First the housekeeping thing. The Big Ten is on record as stating no matter how many teams were to add hockey (Penn State being the one talked about most even though we all know it ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN) they won't force the issue of competing under the flag of the Big 10. The myth of the 6 team threshold needs to be put to rest. It's almost as annoying as any talk of the BTHC to begin with.

The other thing I find disturbing is all the speculation that if other teams fold, or the RIGHT teams fold maybe UAH ends up in the CCHA after all or perhaps another league takes them on. If this is what it takes we've got a lot of troubles in the D1 hockey world. Because when it comes to teams folding, does it really matter to any of us which team it is barring those who root for whoever folds of course?

Comment

Originally posted by lah02476 View Post

AIC has never been mentioned for anything as far as dropping their hockey program.

Let's try to keep the rumor mill quiet around here especially with baseless accusations. This isn't Eklund's website.
                R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Speaking of the travel rules... if you're Ferris State (let's ignore the two outliers in Lake State and NMU...) and you're headed to Huntsville for a Friday night at 7:30 pm Central game that means that the earliest your bus can leave is Wednesday at 8:30 pm Eastern.

It's 770 miles via I-65, roughly 11-1/2 hours, from Big Rapids to Huntsville. Load the bus up and head out at 8:30 on the nose. Say you drive all the way to Fort Wayne, 3-1/2 hours and 230 miles down the road. Check in and head out by 10 am (8 hrs rest, breakfast, etc.). It's now Thursday and Ferris State still has just over eight hours and 540 miles to go.

Arrive in Huntsville at 6 pm. Drop equipment off at the rink, check into the hotel, team dinner, and all of a sudden it's bed time.

Friday morning: Game tape, breakfast and lunch routines, possible light skate in the AM, prepare for the game.

Saturday night, load crap on the bus right after the game, head North to try and get a hotel room in Nashville or Bowling Green, Kentucky, so you can make it back to Big Rapids so the players can attend their Monday morning classes.

Oh and by the way UAH fans; with this schedule, just WHEN are these visiting players supposed to tour the rocket museum, see the downtown area, and other "perks" that the president of UAH promoted in their CCHA video?
                  So, you're saying FSU is the same bus-travel time from UAH as NMU is from Miami, right (sure, it's 100 miles shorter, but since so much of it is not interstate, it's still 11.5 hours...)? So, what's the problem?
                  Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                  B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                  CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                  ECAC:
                  HEA: UMass
                  NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                  Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Since some folks noticed that we made the front page of The Huntsville Times, but the article isn't on AL.com [Why? Who knows.], I got permission to re-print the article: http://saveuahhockey.com/2009/08/16/...ockey-survive/

Very little new ground plowed, but it becomes quite obvious that Forrest Karr is on the Chargers' side. We appreciate that. Go Nanooks!

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

It's 770 miles via I-65, roughly 11-1/2 hours, from Big Rapids to Huntsville. Load the bus up and head out at 8:30 on the nose. Say you drive all the way to Fort Wayne, 3-1/2 hours and 230 miles down the road. Check in and head out by 10 am (8 hrs rest, breakfast, etc.). It's now Thursday and Ferris State still has just over eight hours and 540 miles to go.
                      Bulls--t.

Drive through the night, stopping for approx. 20 minutes somewhere south of Indy to swap drivers.

Midday skate at the ice plex to stretch the legs when you get into town.

Meal.

Check-in Thursday night.

This is every week for UAH. Qwicha bichin.

Ask Yale. They pulled it off.
                      Last edited by MikeAnderson; 08-16-2009, 11:30 PM.
                      UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                      2006 Time Person of the Year
                      Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                      It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Uah would be one of the better teams in the Atlantic. It would probably benefit both of them if UAH were to join. I'm sure AF and Army would not mind some home and homes with them. CCHA may be too big a leap for them at this time.

Comment

GFM, up here in Laker land most people i know were shocked with the ccha's decision.

As a college hockey fanatic i wish the Chargers all the best hopefully something will pan out.
                          BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
                            Uah would be one of the better teams in the Atlantic. It would probably benefit both of them if UAH were to join. I'm sure AF and Army would not mind some home and homes with them. CCHA may be too big a leap for them at this time.
                            UAH applied to join the MAAC in 1998 and were given a flat out "no, you're not in our geographic footprint."
                            UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
                            2006 Time Person of the Year
                            Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                            It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
                              Sorry about the rejected application UAH, and good luck finding a permanent home!

It doesn't need to be and shouldn't be, this is about UAH.
                              I agree it is about a conference snubbing its nose at CCHA and trying to make it look like it wasn't. It's about as dumb as dumb as the CCHA commish saying you can have UAF but you shouldn't have taken UNO.
                              Eric's Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
                                UAH applied to join the MAAC in 1998 and were given a flat out "no, you're not in our geographic footprint."
                                Yet they take Air Force. Hey that makes a lot of sense.
                                Eric's Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X