Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Save Uah Hockey!

Originally posted by true2BSU View Post
    Being a non tech savvy person and unfamiliar with twitter tweets, facebook and such... is there a website to the local newspaper in Huntsville that I can send a letter of support to? Or an address for the school AD? This whole situation stinks.

It reminds me of something I learned about Dr. Seuss. He had designed the "horton hears a who" book as a social reminder of what happened during WWII to the Jews under Hitler. I can't quite shake the image of the small dust speck and all the voices yelling "we are here, we are here, we are here".

If college hockey allows Alabama Huntsville to fail, it would crush any hopes I have of this sport/ these universities/ this... group being open to everyone. It smacks of the elite, the petty and the us vs. them attitude that has destroyed many a sport and many a fan base.

"First they came for the Division II schools, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Division II fan. Then they came for Wayne State, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t from Wayne State. Then they came for Alabama Huntsville, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn't from the CHA. Then they came for my school, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for us."

grrrrrrrrr
    http://al.com/huntsville/ --- address it to Mark McCarter or Budd McLaughlin, and it'll get good.

I think the best option that any of us, as fans, have is to talk to our schools about this. If you're a CCHA-member fan and are unhappy with this, speak up! If you're a fan of a school from another place, well, talk to your ADs anyway and have them put pressure on the CCHA schools, or ask them to consider scheduling UAH, especially in Huntsville.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      If you're a fan of a school from another place, well, talk to your ADs anyway and have them put pressure on the CCHA schools, or ask them to consider scheduling UAH, especially in Huntsville.
      ... by which point that I **** well expect the Beavers in Huntsville in 2010-11.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by ForzaUAH View Post
        Pretty good news:

With any bit of organization, a massive trip by UAH students/fans to South Bend on Oct 9-10 is made easier by the fact that Oct 8-11 is UAH's fall break.

Let's get the ball rolling!
        I put that first trip together almost a decade ago. I can help the SGA people do it again.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
          An interesting idea. But why limit it to the non-CCHA folks?
          Exactly... its gonna make a bigger statement coming from CCHA fans. Its easy for everyone else's fanbase to say "You should've taken UAH" because it wouldn't affect us, but CCHA fans are the ones who need to voice their displeasure.

Originally posted by streaker View Post
          Maybe it's unfair that this is directed to MTU (I do respect many of your fans) since it was a SCSU fan that popped off, but consider it collateral damage.
          Put your pants back on streaker, I wasn't "popping off." We call you guys CupCake hockey for a reason, because you're top heavy.

I looked at teams who've had a top 2 finish in the WCHA in the ten years since we've been the ten teams we are currently, and including ties for second, this is how many times the teams have finished 1st or 2nd: UND 5, DU 4, MN 3, SCSU 3, CC 3, UW 2, UMD 1, MSU-M 1, MTU 0, UAA 0. Pretty well rounded.

Now let's look at the CCHA over that timespan: Michigan 8, Miami 5, MSU 4, ND 2, FSU 1, OSU 1, everyone else 0. The point I was making is that the CCHA is a league dominated by the same names over and over again. Eight of our ten teams have finished 2nd or better in the WCHA in the last decade, and I honestly think that only Michigan, and Michigan State and/or Miami could've accomplished that if they'd played in the WCHA over that time period.
          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

I have a few college hockey related websites, and I am happy to provide whatever support I can to your online campaign.

Please also let me know if there's anything I can do to rally the troops up here in the Northeast.

zudnic at gmail dot com
            Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

"Exactly... its gonna make a bigger statement coming from CCHA fans. Its easy for everyone else's fanbase to say "You should've taken UAH" because it wouldn't affect us, but CCHA fans are the ones who need to voice their displeasure."

I agree; my initial suggestion was made a bit hastily. So, let's play "Sweet Home Alabama" everywhere, and particularly at the CCHA games!

Comment

CCHA info for your calls, faxes and letters:

Central Collegiate Hockey Association
                23995 Freeway Park Drive, Suite 101
                Farmington Hills, MI 48335

Phone: (248) 888-0600
                Fax: (248) 888-0664

Email here
                ------------------
                Michigan State officials
                AD Mark Hollis:
                Mailing Address: 248 Jenison Field House, East Lansing, MI 48824-1025
                Phone: (517)-355-1623
                Email: AD@ath.msu.edu

Director of Hockey Communications Jamie Weir:
                Mailing Address: Z-22 Breslin Center, East Lansing, MI 48824-1047
                Phone: (517)-355-2271
                Email: jweir@ath.msu.edu
                Last edited by Spartanforlife4; 08-13-2009, 03:28 PM.
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

Email here
                  Cool. AD contact info will be easy to find; anyone have a list of who the faculty reps to the CCHA are?

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                    Exactly... its gonna make a bigger statement coming from CCHA fans. Its easy for everyone else's fanbase to say "You should've taken UAH" because it wouldn't affect us, but CCHA fans are the ones who need to voice their displeasure.

Put your pants back on streaker, I wasn't "popping off." We call you guys CupCake hockey for a reason, because you're top heavy.

I looked at teams who've had a top 2 finish in the WCHA in the ten years since we've been the ten teams we are currently, and including ties for second, this is how many times the teams have finished 1st or 2nd: UND 5, DU 4, MN 3, SCSU 3, CC 3, UW 2, UMD 1, MSU-M 1, MTU 0, UAA 0. Pretty well rounded.

Now let's look at the CCHA over that timespan: Michigan 8, Miami 5, MSU 4, ND 2, FSU 1, OSU 1, everyone else 0. The point I was making is that the CCHA is a league dominated by the same names over and over again. Eight of our ten teams have finished 2nd or better in the WCHA in the last decade, and I honestly think that only Michigan, and Michigan State and/or Miami could've accomplished that if they'd played in the WCHA over that time period.
                    not to mention the team has been to the NCAA's 6 out of the last 11 years and two out of the last three.
                    I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

I'm sorry to say that these programs should not be D 1 in the first place. I'm talking about the Atlantic and the CHA. I'm sure Oswego could play with and beat most of them. The NCAA should resurrect D 2 hockey and stop having so called D 1 programs playing in public rinks while most of D 3 have their own facilities.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                        not to mention the team has been to the NCAA's 6 out of the last 11 years and two out of the last three.
                        Is this an argument directed to a Michigan fan.

And why does this have to be CCHA vs. WCHA bs?

UAH needs a home. The CCHA said "no". Is there anything we can do to influence decision makers to change their mind or to help UAH find some other solution and remain a viable hockey program beyond 2010?

I like the idea of "Save UAH" posters throughout D1 arenas. Especially if you know your school has a televised game.
                        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                        7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

Email here
                          ------------------
                          Michigan State officials
                          AD Mark Hollis:
                          Mailing Address: 248 Jenison Field House, East Lansing, MI 48824-1025
                          Phone: (517)-355-1623
                          Email: AD@ath.msu.edu

Director of Hockey Communications Jamie Weir:
                          Mailing Address: Z-22 Breslin Center, East Lansing, MI 48824-1047
                          Phone: (517)-355-2271
                          Email: jweir@ath.msu.edu
                          The Commissioner is extension 201. I just called and left a message asking him to call me back and illuminate the reasons for the CCHA decision. I'd suggest everyone take 30 seconds and give him a call and leave a POLITE message.

Comment

"I like the idea of "Save UAH" posters throughout D1 arenas. Especially if you know your school has a televised game."

It would be kind of fitting if Ferris State ever needed this type of help.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
                              I'm sorry to say that these programs should not be D 1 in the first place. I'm talking about the Atlantic and the CHA. I'm sure Oswego could play with and beat most of them. The NCAA should resurrect D 2 hockey and stop having so called D 1 programs playing in public rinks while most of D 3 have their own facilities.
                              Great idea Henry, let's get it down to about a dozen schools and just let them play a tournament. That will be really great for the sport. Did you notice that the CHA champion made it to the frozen four last year, and the AHA champion made it to the second round before falling in overtime? Oh and UAH has a winning record against Ohio State all-time, so Ohio State can't be one of the dozen chosen schools that are worth keeping.

Comment

Originally posted by CHAfan View Post
                                Great idea Henry, let's get it down to about a dozen schools and just let them play a tournament. That will be really great for the sport. Did you notice that the CHA champion made it to the frozen four last year, and the AHA champion made it to the second round before falling in overtime? Oh and UAH has a winning record against Ohio State all-time, so Ohio State can't be one of the dozen chosen schools that are worth keeping.
                                Oops, I fed the troll, sorry everybody.

Comment

Working...
                                X