Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Save Uah Hockey!

Originally posted by tnlong View Post
    What's the earliest they can officially practice? That's enough of a confirmation for me even though I couldn't find anything on the LSSU website referencing it. I did see a report on their awards banquet though (unlike a certain team we know). ;-)

Sat. Oct. 1 v's Lake Superior State
    Sun. Oct. 2 v's Lake Superior State
    Fri. Dec. 9 @ Minnesota State
    Sat. Dec. 10 @ Minnesota State
    Fri. Dec. 16 @ Bemidji State
    Sat. Dec. 17 @ Bemidji State
    Fri. Jan. 6 @ Denver
    Sat. Jan. 7 @ Denver
    Fri. Jan. 20 @ Minnesota-Duluth
    Sat. Jan. 21 @ Minnesota-Duluth
    Fri. Feb. 10 @ Miami
    Sat. Feb. 11 @ Miami
    Bowling Green at UAH 10/14 & 15/11
    http://www.bgsufalcons.com/documents...le.pdf?id=2007

Comment

Fri. Oct. 14 v's Bowling Green State
      Sat. Oct. 15 v's Bowling Green State
      Fri. Jan. 6 @ Denver
      Sat. Jan. 7 @ Denver
      Fri. Feb. 10 @ Miami
      Sat. Feb. 11 @ Miami

Comment

You would hope that at some point, something works out for UAH. I remembe several years ago, with the Nashville Predators getting ready to launch, the Buffalo Sabres played Pittsburgh at the VBC in an exhibition game. I spent some time with Preds GM David Poile standing chatting behind the goal. He was amazed at the great support shown in Huntsville. I had friends that played for both teams at the time and they couldn't believe how knowledgeable the fans were. And then finally talking with Condredge Holloway when we were out after the game. I asked him how UAH was able to sustain a D-I college hockey program, and compete with a minor pro team as well. He said it was very simple; great fan support and great support in the community. I spent many years in Alabama, some working in the hockey business, and continue to maintain a number of contacts in the Birmingham and Huntsville areas. It can work. It can happen. There has to be a way. This is too good of a fan base and to classy a program to let slip away!
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

If the CCHA decideds to take in UAH, is it possible they would do so starting 2012-2013? The league would then have 12 teams for that year before Michigan State, Ohio State, and Michigan leave for the Big 10.

Comment

Originally posted by chargersupporter View Post
            If the CCHA decideds to take in UAH, is it possible they would do so starting 2012-2013? The league would then have 12 teams for that year before Michigan State, Ohio State, and Michigan leave for the Big 10.
            I think it's possible, sure. I think it would be likely, because the league would want to have as firm of a schedule as possible as soon as possible. The uncertainty of the league's future size and scope makes it likely that member institutions don't have full schedules and, as such, will have the flexibility for a new league schedule for 12-13.

GFM

P.S.: My temporary employment with UAH ends on Fri 27 May 2011. I'll be back thereafter.
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

that would be cool.

Comment

I think that PSU adding hockey is the bellwether (sic?) For college hockey. I hate the formation of the BTHC but if college hockey is going to grow, they need more big schools to add hockey. I don't want UAH to lose their program, but to be fair, would they have a program without the Wisconsins and Minnesotas? The answer is no. The BTHC will lead to more exposure for college hockey, which could lead to more D-1 programs.

Either way, the CCHA should let UAH in if they can get the same benefits that UAA and UAF get. Which, if the NCAA cares about college hockey, should be something worth considering.
                Originally posted by SJHovey
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Ah, the tropes about the growth of hockey and that smaller schools wouldn't have programs without the big ones. How did UAH end up in D-I? It moved up when the NCAA stopped sanctioning D-II. UAH was doing just fine as a program without Wisconsin and Minnesota, thank you, in the D-I ranks. That is why we have a program: we started in club, found our level, moved to D-II, and have stuck around as an NCAA participant since. Both trips into D-I occurred when D-II was de-sanctioned.

Don't get me wrong: I love that my alma mater has the chance to play varsity hockey at the Division I level. But to argue that the only reason we're around is because of the big schools is ignorant of UAH's history.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Fri. Jan. 6 @ Denver
                    Sat. Jan. 7 @ Denver
                    Fri. Feb. 10 @ Miami
                    Sat. Feb. 11 @ Miami
                    Can we get any type of confirmation that the BGSU games will be on Fri. and Sat. instead of Sat. and Sun.?

Comment

Can we get any type of confirmation that the BGSU games will be on Fri. and Sat. instead of Sat. and Sun.?
                      I can't at this time. I haven't gotten to talk schedule with Lou lately. It's probably a little easier now. I'll ask tonight and/or tomorrow.

I can tell you that there are 12/30 and 12/31 games at home [have heard that from non-UAH folks] but not who the opponent would be [only heard that from UAH folks and don't know if it's okay to say].

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                        I can't at this time. I haven't gotten to talk schedule with Lou lately. It's probably a little easier now. I'll ask tonight and/or tomorrow.

I can tell you that there are 12/30 and 12/31 games at home [have heard that from non-UAH folks] but not who the opponent would be [only heard that from UAH folks and don't know if it's okay to say].

GFM
                        If there is a 12/31 game, I sure hope they announce an afternoon start time up front rather than waiting until the last moment like last year. Some of us actually plan our New Year's Eve activities in advance.

The reason I was wondering about a possible Sun. 10/16 game is that I've already got a civic activity wanting me to make a commitment for that afternoon. We try to put UAH hockey at the top of our entertainment calendar, but sometimes they make it difficult.
                        Last edited by tnlong; 06-03-2011, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                          Don't get me wrong: I love that my alma mater has the chance to play varsity hockey at the Division I level. But to argue that the only reason we're around is because of the big schools is ignorant of UAH's history.

GFM
                          That's why I don't think it can be assumed the remaining schools in the CCHA are going to be in serious trouble when the Big Ten schools leave. UAH has managed to have a program all this time without regular (or even irregular) visits from Michigan, Michigan State and Notre Dame. That's not to say we wouldn't have welcomed that situation if we had gotten a spot in the CCHA, but the big schools can't and shouldn't be our basis of existence.
                          Michael Napier - UAH '97
                          uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                          U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                          NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                          CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                          CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

If there is a 12/31 game, I sure hope they announce an afternoon start time up front rather than waiting until the last moment like last year. Some of us actually plan our New Year's Eve activities in advance.
                            I don't think that will be a problem this year.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                              That's why I don't think it can be assumed the remaining schools in the CCHA are going to be in serious trouble when the Big Ten schools leave. UAH has managed to have a program all this time without regular (or even irregular) visits from Michigan, Michigan State and Notre Dame. That's not to say we wouldn't have welcomed that situation if we had gotten a spot in the CCHA, but the big schools can't and shouldn't be our basis of existence.
                              While that is true, you've got to remember that these guys have had these guys for partners for 30 years. For the Michigan schools, they'll get a bounce from UM or MSU coming in not just from their base but from alumni of the big schools in their area. If you look at the relative crowd sizes of those schools, you'll see that there can be an impact.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Fri. Jan. 6 @ Denver
                                Sat. Jan. 7 @ Denver
                                Fri. Feb. 10 @ Miami
                                Sat. Feb. 11 @ Miami
                                FYI - UAH @ Providence 11/11-12/11
                                http://www.friars.com/sports/m-hocke...key-sched.html

Comment

Working...
                                X