Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Save Uah Hockey!

Originally posted by fangers View Post
    Not anymore, the NCAA recently changed the rule(s) about playups.
    That would be bad, because UAH is in no position to make the full jump to D-I anyway.
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Looks like it's gonna be hard for UAH to recruit any players for 2012 and beyond unless they get some good news re a conference.

Even if the school plans to play out the string with an independent schedule for a couple of more years, players will not want to commit.

Comment

Originally posted by chargersupporter View Post
        Looks like it's gonna be hard for UAH to recruit any players for 2012 and beyond unless they get some good news re a conference.

Even if the school plans to play out the string with an independent schedule for a couple of more years, players will not want to commit.
        Please dont say Wayne State, Findley, Iona, and UIC. Dont say it is so. Open the ears of the CCHA or WCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          If some Atlantic teams were to jump ship to the CCHA, should UAH not be able to get into the CCHA, what would their chances be of getting into Atlantic?
          I don't think there's any interest on either side. As bad as UAH's travel is now, a full AHA conference tilt where your closest trip is Robert Morris and most are 14-16 hour affairs unless you fly just does not work, not with a 26- or 28-game conference schedule. [I forget which AHA is anymore.] On their side, I don't think any of their schools have any interest in being with a geographical outlier.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
            I don't think there's any interest on either side. As bad as UAH's travel is now, a full AHA conference tilt where your closest trip is Robert Morris and most are 14-16 hour affairs unless you fly just does not work, not with a 26- or 28-game conference schedule. [I forget which AHA is anymore.] On their side, I don't think any of their schools have any interest in being with a geographical outlier.

GFM
            How did Air Force get in, then?

Currently Atlantic is 27 games (3 within your pod, 2 outside). However, what I'm saying is that if the CCHA poaches from Atlantic West, it might be possible. It's quite difficult when we're wrecking our brains trying to figure out any way to keep UAH in D-I hockey, especially when the AD says they might fold in 2014 if they stay independent.

Comment

Robert Morris seems to be "the appeaser". Didn't they originally start in Atlantic, and then go to the CHA when it was in danger of folding because they needed a 6th team for an autobid when Air Force left? If any teams go to the CCHA, I would say Niagara and Robert Morris. Mercyhurst only if their men's team can come up to the same caliber as their women's team. And when RIT gets a full-size rink, maybe they'll hop as well. Obviously I hope one of those teams is replaced with UAH, but who knows.
              I talked with someone in the know - without some financial assistance, RIT is not going to the CCHA.
              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2010 Frozen Four participant
              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

How did Air Force get in, then?

Currently Atlantic is 27 games (3 within your pod, 2 outside). However, what I'm saying is that if the CCHA poaches from Atlantic West, it might be possible. It's quite difficult when we're wrecking our brains trying to figure out any way to keep UAH in D-I hockey, especially when the AD says they might fold in 2014 if they stay independent.
                Air Force was admitted with RIT. I believe they wanted an even number of teams. They had a hole when Q-pac went to the ECAC.
                2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                2010 Frozen Four participant
                2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                  I talked with someone in the know - without some financial assistance, RIT is not going to the CCHA.
                  I don't see RIT leaving the AHA period, considering they can't give scholarships...
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    I don't see RIT leaving the AHA period, considering they can't give scholarships...
                    Not to mention them likely wanting in with their future Liberty League foes...

Comment

Not to mention them likely wanting in with their future Liberty League foes...
                      Yep ... I can only see a move for RIT if the ECAC somehow opens a spot or if there was a shakeup of sorts and the Liberty League (+1 or +3) formed a new small conference. That is an intriguing idea (for RIT anyway), but I really can't see why the others in the Liberty League would want to leave the ECAC (unless some advantages in non conference scheduling happened and/or the added auto bid was worth it).

(While I'm dreaming ... travel partners of RIT-Niagara, RPI-Union, and SLU-Clarkson sure seems like a nice small conference with stable programs. Could throw in Army-Colgate if 8 made people more comfortable.)

Back on topic. I'd really like to see UAH get into the CCHA and prosper. Seems like the logical place ...
                      Last edited by RITProf; 05-11-2011, 08:27 PM.
                      -M

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
                        Yep ... I can only see a move for RIT if the ECAC somehow opens a spot or if there was a shakeup of sorts and the Liberty League (+1 or +3) formed a new small conference. That is an intriguing idea (for RIT anyway), but I really can't see why the others in the Liberty League would want to leave the ECAC (unless some advantages in non conference scheduling happened and/or the added auto bid was worth it).
                        The other Liberty League members have 12 non-conference games, and we're pretty easily able to fill them without having to play each other. I guess if you guys were able to get a better deal with non-conference games should teams jump ship from the AHA for the CCHA, you could probably use 4 of them playing all of us each year. Although I don't think we'd mind if you swapped with Q-Pac; they bring down the league GPA anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                          Air Force was admitted with RIT. I believe they wanted an even number of teams. They had a hole when Q-pac went to the ECAC.
                          As I understand it, Air Force also wanted to be in the same league as Army.
                          Michael Napier - UAH '97
                          uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                          U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                          NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                          CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                          CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Also note that AFA had to initially agree to imbalanced scheduling (that changed once RIT joined) to join. No insight here, but maybe UAH would agree to something similar?

http://www.uscho.com/2005/02/13/ah-c...-air-force-if/
                            Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                            B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                            CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                            ECAC:
                            HEA: UMass
                            NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                            Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
                              The ECAC will do jack unless the Ivies decide to split off on their own. Which won't happen anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                                The ECAC will do jack unless the Ivies decide to split off on their own. Which won't happen anytime soon.
                                Bingo. The last time an ivy didn't make it into the tournament was 2007, and before that, I have no idea. They have no reason to split off, because they're already competitive.

Comment

Working...
                                X