• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patman
    replied
    Re: Save Uah Hockey!

Originally posted by AMC View Post
    Spreading like wildfire in New England. I'm seeing baseball and softball programs at Southern Maine high schools with 16 kids, total varsity/jv/freshman. Meanwhile, lax is full of boys and girls programs with 80 kids. It's frustrating as a baseball coach, can't field a jv team, can't cut kids with terrible attitudes/no skills, have to hope and pray enough people show up to field a team. We had 22 sign up to play at our large high school. Whittled down to 16 before day 1 of practice. Two are "on" the team but show up when they feel like it. The kids all want to play lax. Our town used to have 16 little league baseball teams every spring. Down to three.
    It sorta makes me wonder how soccer would be if it were a spring sport in the northeast... I have to imagine nobody honestly thought lax would be a threat to baseball.

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Lacrosse will be added before hockey. Lax is a lot cheaper and you have unused facilities that can be used while an ice rink costs beaucoup $$ and what can you use it for in the off season???
    add to that all the big boys are already playing lax... very little D2-D3 minnows... sports culture is what it is... they only want to compete with each other.

Leave a comment:

• AMC
    replied

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    So you are saying neither will grow. Lets be honest the only people playing LAX are Long Island and D.C. kids. It is nearly impossible to add any sports in this day and age.
    Spreading like wildfire in New England. I'm seeing baseball and softball programs at Southern Maine high schools with 16 kids, total varsity/jv/freshman. Meanwhile, lax is full of boys and girls programs with 80 kids. It's frustrating as a baseball coach, can't field a jv team, can't cut kids with terrible attitudes/no skills, have to hope and pray enough people show up to field a team. We had 22 sign up to play at our large high school. Whittled down to 16 before day 1 of practice. Two are "on" the team but show up when they feel like it. The kids all want to play lax. Our town used to have 16 little league baseball teams every spring. Down to three.

Leave a comment:

• 4four4
    replied

Lacrosse will be added before hockey. Lax is a lot cheaper and you have unused facilities that can be used while an ice rink costs beaucoup $$ and what can you use it for in the off season???
    So you are saying neither will grow. Lets be honest the only people playing LAX are Long Island and D.C. kids. It is nearly impossible to add any sports in this day and age.

Leave a comment:

• ithacat
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    What can you use a basketball arena for in the offseason?
    Football and lax where you come from.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

What can you use a basketball arena for in the offseason?

Leave a comment:

• CHFAN222
    replied

Simple you can use it for either hockey training camps with locals, summer hockey leagues, Disney ice shows, or even cover the ice and and host large events such as banquets conferences or what else.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    I agree!! Hopefully guys like Paul Kelly of College Hockey Inc. can help out with finding some southern schools.

Leave a comment:

• komey1
    replied

True. But again, for teams in a "cost containment" league - are there teams that are willing to put in the money for the scholarships AND increased travel budget.

Leave a comment:

• Back check
    replied

Teams joining CCHA from Atlantic could give 18 schollies instead of 12.

Leave a comment:

• komey1
    replied

I think it will be hard for the CCHA to pull teams from the AHA. Travel costs will increase significantly for those teams. Niagara may pursue it, and MAYBE Mercyhurst or Robert Morris, but I don't see anyone else (as much as I would love to see RIT take that step) without some financial assistance.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

I'm 95% sure there will be a Nashville series; with whom and when, I'm not sure. Last I knew, contracts were not signed.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• CHFAN222
    replied

With the formation of the B10 UAH will get more opponents. The B10 schools want to have a short conference schedule and I would not be surprised to see UAH play one-two B10 schools a year. I also think the CCHA should give UAH a second chance. The loss of four prominent members should be seen as a reason to add UAH and maybe one or two Atlantic Hockey teams.

Leave a comment:

• 4four4
    replied

Originally posted by yooper(UP) hockey View Post
    There is room for college hockey in the south.
    I agree!! Hopefully guys like Paul Kelly of College Hockey Inc. can help out with finding some southern schools.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by fangers View Post
    I also hear rumblings that both Mercyhurst and OSU make trips to Huntsville this year, in exchange for games at their place this past year. But nothing official.

Wonder if UNH will be a Nashville deal like with Merrimack last year?
    Rumors is better than nothing at this point; that's what the question mark is for.

Leave a comment:

• fangers
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    One BGSU game and the UConn game were from the RPI Holiday Tournament (which unfortunately is no more). I think I put in my rumors that they'll be playing UNH this year. I know they're not on RPI's radar this year.
    I also hear rumblings that both Mercyhurst and OSU make trips to Huntsville this year, in exchange for games at their place this past year. But nothing official.

Wonder if UNH will be a Nashville deal like with Merrimack last year?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X