Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Save Uah Hockey!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

    The 48 hr rule isn't really a factor for Ferris because the trip is 5 hrs shorter from Big Rapids than from Marquette by bus. NMU flew in last time. In light of budget cuts, those airplane dollars arent there for NMU, which means they can leave no earlier than 8pm Wednesday night for the 1000 mile ride, roughly 18-19 hrs, when you add meal and gas stops. The bus trip to Huntsville is about 200 miles longer than the Omaha trip for NMU and that trip is at the far outer edge of what you can do and still be within 48 hrs.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

    Comment


    • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

      Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      The 48 hr rule isn't really a factor for Ferris because the trip is 5 hrs shorter from Big Rapids than from Marquette by bus. NMU flew in last time. In light of budget cuts, those airplane dollars arent there for NMU, which means they can leave no earlier than 8pm Wednesday night for the 1000 mile ride, roughly 18-19 hrs, when you add meal and gas stops. The bus trip to Huntsville is about 200 miles longer than the Omaha trip for NMU and that trip is at the far outer edge of what you can do and still be within 48 hrs.
      I love the argument that NMU is "so far" from Huntsville. You know what - I went to school there and know exactly how in the middle of nowhere it is. You can scream budget cuts all you want, but every school in the country has had to deal with them over the last decade as well. And you know what? CHA schools had to deal with budget cuts and travel.

      I suggest you take a look at a school like Bemidji State's travel (Bemidji, much like NMU is in a poor economic area, and is state supported). Now you're telling me that BSU can support flying to Huntsville, Pittsburgh twice and Niagara Falls (with a week long stay in there to save flight costs), plus n/c flights to Vermont and Colorado Springs, yet NMU can't fly once a year (probibly once every other year based on unballanced scheduling, then throw in the UAH travel subsidy on top of that) to Alabama?

      Heck, just so we're comparing apples-to-apples, NMU didn't fly once last year... So, just to be clear, BSU flew six times, had a week-long (actually, seven day, six night) stay between RMU and NU, and bussed three weekends. NMU didn't fly once, and bussed nine times (I'm not including play-offs at all). UAH fans can fill me in on how may flights and how many bus trips, since the Chargers are known for bussing long distances.

      Either way you look at it, a school like NMU should be able to budget in one flight to Alabama (once every other year) if a school like BSU can afford as many as they have done over the length of their CHA life...
      Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

      AHA:
      B1G: UMinn, UWisc
      ECAC:
      HEA: UMass, Notre Dame
      NCHC: UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
      WCHA: UAH, BSU, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU

      Inactive: BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

      Comment


      • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

        I have made the trip to Huntsville several times from Minnesota, and it is not as bad as going to Alaska. Took a fan bus from Bemidji once and it was 22 hours. Drove it once and with three of us driving non-stop, we did it in 17-18 hours. Flew twice into Atlanta and made the three hour drive to Huntsville and actually flew into Huntsville out of Minneapolis through Detroit. It was an little under a two hour flight from Detroit. I also have heard of BSU fans flying into Nashville and driving the 90 minutes to Huntsville. Flight costs to Atlanta and Nashville are fairly reasonable, definitely cheaper (and shorter) than flying to Alaska.

        So, I just don't buy why some people are trying to treat Huntsville like it is a trip to Fairbanks or Anchorage?????
        Last edited by beaverhockeyfan; 12-22-2009, 03:51 PM.
        Millsy

        NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
        FROZEN FOUR 2009!


        "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

        BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
        NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
        NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
        NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
        NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
        Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

        Comment


        • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

          Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
          I have made the trip to Huntsville several times from Minnesota, and it is not as bad as going to Alaska. Took a fan bus from Bemidji once and it was 22 hours. Drove it once and with three of us driving non-stop, we did it in 17-18 hours. Flew twice into Atlanta and made the three hour drive to Huntsville and actually flew into Huntsville out of Minneapolis through Detroit. It was an little under a two hour flight from Detroit. I also have heard of BSU fans flying into Nashville and driving the 90 minutes to Huntsville. Flight costs to Atlanta and Nashville are fairly reasonable, definitely cheaper (and shorter) than flying to Alaska.

          So, I just don't buy why some people are trying to treat Huntsville like it is a trip to Fairbanks or Alaska?????
          My sister lives in Nashvegas, and this is how I went my one trip down. Not a bad trip - turbo prop BJI to MSP, but only an hour flight, two more hours on the "big plane" (maybe closer to an hour and 45) to Nashville, and the 90 minute drive into downtown. It's a nice city, and great people (hi Geoff and thanks again for the puck tnlong - btw, haven't heard from Terry in a while - hope all is well)...

          I definatly agree with your last line there Millsy. I know folks in Bemidji treat UAH as if it is a long trip/huge deal to get there, but UAA is now the new long trip/huge deal, and I'm guessing it'll blow UAH out of the water in terms of pain in the rear (from everything I'm told)...
          Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

          AHA:
          B1G: UMinn, UWisc
          ECAC:
          HEA: UMass, Notre Dame
          NCHC: UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
          WCHA: UAH, BSU, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU

          Inactive: BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

          Comment


          • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

            Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
            So, I just don't buy why some people are trying to treat Huntsville like it is a trip to Fairbanks or Alaska?????
            If you can see Russia from Alaska, can't you see Cuba from Alabama?
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

            ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

            Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

            I want to live forever. So far, so good.

            Comment


            • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

              Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              The 48 hr rule isn't really a factor for Ferris because the trip is 5 hrs shorter from Big Rapids than from Marquette by bus. NMU flew in last time. In light of budget cuts, those airplane dollars arent there for NMU, which means they can leave no earlier than 8pm Wednesday night for the 1000 mile ride, roughly 18-19 hrs, when you add meal and gas stops. The bus trip to Huntsville is about 200 miles longer than the Omaha trip for NMU and that trip is at the far outer edge of what you can do and still be within 48 hrs.
              It's just as long for us the other way, and we're not complaining.

              GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

              Comment


              • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

                Originally posted by joecct View Post
                If you can see Russia from Alaska, can't you see Cuba from Alabama?
                Even better, you can see Brazil.
                R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

                Comment


                • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

                  Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                  Even better, you can see Brazil.
                  That's Venezuela! Not Brazil!!! look on a map!!
                  bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

                  It just happens.


                  nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

                  leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

                  Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

                  Comment


                  • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

                    Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                    ...
                    Either way you look at it, a school like NMU should be able to budget in one flight to Alabama (once every other year) if a school like BSU can afford as many as they have done over the length of their CHA life...
                    Is Bemidji's Ice Hockey operating budget for 2009-2010 the SAME as it is for 2002-2003? Because NMU's is. Personally, I'd like my team to save $15k per year by not having to travel to Omaha or Alabama.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

                    Live Radio from 100.3

                    Comment


                    • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

                      Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                      That's Venezuela! Not Brazil!!! look on a map!!
                      Chavez won't allow anyone from America to look into Venezuela. Brazil allows it though and welcomes our fine American eyes.
                      R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

                      Comment


                      • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

                        Originally posted by aparch View Post
                        Is Bemidji's Ice Hockey operating budget for 2009-2010 the SAME as it is for 2002-2003? Because NMU's is. Personally, I'd like my team to save $15k per year by not having to travel to Omaha or Alabama.
                        ... which ignores, again, the fact that UAH offered $70k to the CCHA, in perpetuity, to cover travel costs. Figure that gets divided seven ways each year by the schools who have to travel to Huntsville, and your trip is paid for.

                        But then given your .sig, I'm unlikely to sway you with any such arguments. Won't keep me from making them.

                        GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

                        Comment


                        • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

                          Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                          ... which ignores, again, the fact that UAH offered $70k to the CCHA, in perpetuity, to cover travel costs. Figure that gets divided seven ways each year by the schools who have to travel to Huntsville, and your trip is paid for.

                          But then given your .sig, I'm unlikely to sway you with any such arguments. Won't keep me from making them.

                          GFM
                          15k > 10k

                          And that's just me more being an a** and trying to have some balance to all the anti-CCHA rhetoric that was circling.



                          I do see how it's easy to plug in UAH instead of UNO and there be virtually zero differences; but with all the smaller schools struggling in recruiting, a trip to UAH is still a burden. The Ferris States, Lake States, and possibly even Western Michigan's cannot survive by bleeding money on road trips and having perennial losing teams. That money could be better used to improve the infrastructure and recruiting and compete against the Michigan/Michigan State/Notre Dames of the CCHA. If UAH is accepted to the CCHA, I would bet you could kiss BGSU and Ferris State goodbye.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

                          Live Radio from 100.3

                          Comment


                          • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

                            Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            15k > 10k
                            My guess is that NMU spends at least $5,000 on a bus trip for a road series to anywhere, including Michigan Tech.

                            Just sayin'.
                            UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

                            Mike Anderson
                            2006 Time Person of the Year
                            Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                            It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

                            "Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

                            Comment


                            • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

                              I really do hope that the UAH program finds a way to make it work, but I am also looking at reasons why some schools would oppose the bid of UAH to the CCHA. Each school bases its vote on what they feel is best for their program. I didn't see anyone from the WCHA inviting UAH to maintain their conference rivalry with Bemidji and admit them too. When it came time to find a 12th team to join the Beavers, the WCHA looked to Northern Michigan and Nebraska-Omaha, because those made better sense to their membership, both financially and logistically. To be honest about BSU, they only made those flights because they had no other options. They will be very happy to be bussing on all but one or two conference trips per year.
                              Last edited by davyd83; 12-22-2009, 07:52 PM.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

                                Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                Is Bemidji's Ice Hockey operating budget for 2009-2010 the SAME as it is for 2002-2003? Because NMU's is.
                                Alright, let's compare '02-'03 then. BSU flew to conference games at Findlay, Niagara, UAH, Wayne (yep, BSU used to fly into Detroit) and Air Force, and bussed to n/c games at Mankato, Clarkson (I remember that they wanted to team build with a long bus trip to Ppotsdam), UMD, NoDak and Omaha, while NMU bused to LSSU twice, MTU once, Wisconsin, Miami, Omaha, Milwaukee, Ferris, Michigan, and Lansing.

                                Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                To be honest about BSU, they only made those flights because they had no other options. They will be very happy to be bussing on all but one or two conference trips per year.
                                I never said BSU isn't thrilled that their travel is decreasing. Back to comparing travel. Look at any BSU schedule I've posted, then look at the 2010-2011 BSU WCHA schedule. They've got one flight to Denver, and one n/c flight to UAH and every other series is a bus trip. Compare that to the six flights BSU is used to taking. Quite a change for the positive...

                                All I said re: NMU, is that if a school like BSU coould do it up to six times a year, Northern could do it once every other year. Especially with the depth of alumni base (especially hockey with a 25 year D-I head start on BSU, and all those pros I read about on the alumni board) of a school twice the size...
                                Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

                                AHA:
                                B1G: UMinn, UWisc
                                ECAC:
                                HEA: UMass, Notre Dame
                                NCHC: UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                                WCHA: UAH, BSU, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU

                                Inactive: BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X