• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joecct
    replied
    Re: Save Uah Hockey!

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
    This is not the last straw, no.
    But how soon does the camel's back break? Right now UAH's recruiting for 10/11 (and to some extent BGSU's) is down the toilet. If this stretches out beyond the 2010 FF, the 11/12 class is in a world of hurt and at that point the UAH administration is going to need to go independent or fold the D1 program.

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Originally posted by fairman View Post
    Please, again, do not compare Wayne State with UAH.

UAH was fine in the CHA, Wayne State was not. Wayne State had NO institutional support, ~200-300 people at most of their hockey games, a poor student support, and relatively bad hockey with a short time of commitment. Sure, they were near Detroit, but that's the only thing they had going for them for CCHA inclusion.
    Yep. WSU never got that on campus arena that was promised to them when they started the program. And even WSU's efforts to get the Red Wings to build an arena that the Wings would use for practice and the Warriors for games was half-hearted at best.

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    This is all BS anyway...I'm not trying to say that people in Oxford, Ohio love grits and think soulfood is a way of life or that they all have confederate flags flying in their front yard...I'm saying physically speaking Miami-Ohio, Colorado College, Air Force and Navy are all south of the 39° 43' N parallel
    I think the real question is, Do they all have a Waffel House within 10 miles of their arena's, and is one of the letters burned out?? THATS when you know you're in Da Dirrty South!!!

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

Originally posted by fangers View Post
    But that line was never intended to be extended west along that parallel, and you're in the very small minority that want to do that versus following exisitng state borders...
    This is all BS anyway...I'm not trying to say that people in Oxford, Ohio love grits and think soulfood is a way of life or that they all have confederate flags flying in their front yard...I'm saying physically speaking Miami-Ohio, Colorado College, Air Force and Navy are all south of the 39° 43' N parallel

Leave a comment:

• fangers
    replied

say whatever you want but the part of the Mason-Dixon line that forms the border between PA and MD (the 39° 43' N parallel) is further north than Miami-Ohio
    But that line was never intended to be extended west along that parallel, and you're in the very small minority that want to do that versus following exisitng state borders...

Leave a comment:

• MikeAnderson
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    IF, IF UAH does not get into the CCHA, WILL (CAN) the program be saved?
    This is not the last straw, no.

Leave a comment:

• true2BSU
    replied

As a poster who holds multiple degrees in history...

Yes... Maryland was considered part of the south. This actually happened when they decided to move the Capital from Pennsylvania to a more southern location in exchange for the establishment of the national bank.

No... Maryland has its cultural geographic link as established as an Atlantic State. They view themselves as being more northern and metropolitan than the idea most hold of the south being more rural and agricultural.

And I agree with the other poster.... SAVE UAH!

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

Originally posted by fangers View Post
    Since when? According to who?

The official line never extended that far west, but the Ohio River has commonly marked the line between Ohio & Ky
    say whatever you want but the part of the Mason-Dixon line that forms the border between PA and MD (the 39° 43' N parallel) is further north than Miami-Ohio

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Originally posted by wnickelson View Post
    Well, since it's been more than a dozen pages since the train derailed... SAVE UAH HOCKEY!!!!
    IF, IF UAH does not get into the CCHA, WILL (CAN) the program be saved?

Leave a comment:

• fangers
    replied

Miami-Ohio and Colorado College are south of the Mason-Dixon line too...
    Since when? According to who?

The official line never extended that far west, but the Ohio River has commonly marked the line between Ohio & Ky

Leave a comment:

• wnickelson
    replied

Well, since it's been more than a dozen pages since the train derailed... SAVE UAH HOCKEY!!!!

Leave a comment:

• PUBand09
    replied

Many younger posters on this message bored never even studied WW2 let alone the Civil War. So I guess I can understand your opinion.
    What in the name of Jeff Davis are you talking about 4four4? You considering Maryland as part of the South shouldn't have anything to do with the Civil War, as they were a neutral border state -- i.e. NOT part of the Confederacy. Don't believe me? Here's a tidbit from Wikipedia's entry on Maryland in the American Civil War: "Nearly 85,000 citizens signed up for the military, with most joining the Union army."

That said, in the world of college hockey, Maryland is pretty far south. However, still very far from UAH.

Leave a comment:

• GreatLakerMohawk
    replied

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    I think Navy and Penn St. have been "about to go DI" for at least 10 years. Of course reading cooperalls' first sentence should have clued you in to the fact that you weren't going to read an intelligent thought...
    I know, but there was SO MUCH wrong with it and I know there are lemmings here eager to take that and run with it... Which they very well still might do anyhow.

Leave a comment:

• GreatLakerMohawk
    replied

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    Nope.
    Right, that was cooperalls - my mistake.

Leave a comment:

• BoomGoestheDynamite
    replied

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    Many younger posters on this message bored never even studied WW2 let alone the Civil War. So I guess I can understand your opinion.
    I'm barred in the state of Maryland and live in NoVa. None of these places are in the South save maybe the Eastern Shore where 8 percent of the MD State population lives. Even that doesn't have much in common with South Carolina or Alabama. There are a lot of laws that tend to be grouped regionally and MD almost exclusively falls in line with Northeastern states. If people in MN think MD is the south, people in MN are ignorant of cultural trends here in the mid-atlantic. The "issue" here isn't whether Maryland is part of the South, its whether Virginia is following Maryland into the Northeast alignment and dragging North Carolina with it.

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
    So... By this outstanding logic and 1750s folksy talk, you're going to tell me that Maryland and Alabama should be teamed up because the Mason-Dixon line says so, regardless of where they're actually located - have I got that right?
    Miami-Ohio and Colorado College are south of the Mason-Dixon line too...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X