• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vizoroo
    replied
    Re: Save Uah Hockey!

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Bemidji would not be in the WCHA today if there was another league for them to fit into. Period. The WCHA was stable as it was and had no intention of expanding.

And, there is no other league for UAH to fit into right now except the CCHA.

The WCHA did something about the issue, the CCHA did not. You can argue in every thread on the board till your blue in the face and it won't change those simple facts.
    I must agree with Scooby which probably won't happen again once the season begins

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
    From what I've read, the CCHA people were upset at the WCHA - not for doing what they did in taking UNO -- but by doing so and claiming that it was for the "good of college hockey" -- while really, it was just to make their own league stronger. It wasn't for the "good of college hockey" to take UNO. Sure, it helped Bemidji out - but if the WCHA were purely just trying to help college hockey, there were numerous other things it could've done that wouldn't have been as damaging to the CCHA.
    Bemidji would not be in the WCHA today if there was another league for them to fit into. Period. The WCHA was stable as it was and had no intention of expanding.

And, there is no other league for UAH to fit into right now except the CCHA.

The WCHA did something about the issue, the CCHA did not. You can argue in every thread on the board till your blue in the face and it won't change those simple facts.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
    Do you have any citations that would prove that this is something he was happy about? Or was it just being written as a statement of unfortunate possibility?
    Who needs citations?! This is a message board.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• Goon
    replied

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Again: Biscuits? I don't get it.
    They like Gravy and Biscuits for breakfast in the south?
    That was one way you could look at it.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyFanClub
    replied

Why was UNO, who let us not forget, left the CCHA without even a second thought, so crucial to the CCHA? Why is it okay to cry foul at the WCHA when one of its own members was so eager to leave?
    From what I've read, the CCHA people were upset at the WCHA - not for doing what they did in taking UNO -- but by doing so and claiming that it was for the "good of college hockey" -- while really, it was just to make their own league stronger. It wasn't for the "good of college hockey" to take UNO. Sure, it helped Bemidji out - but if the WCHA were purely just trying to help college hockey, there were numerous other things it could've done that wouldn't have been as damaging to the CCHA.

The bottom line again is, the WCHA, UNO, CCHA, etc... all did what was best for them at the time they did it. Or at least what they think is sincerely best for them. Let's not try to make ANYONE seem more noble than anyone else. This is where the defense of the CCHA comes in. Me, and lots of other people, wished the CCHA would take UAH - and don't want to see UAH disappear ... we are merely defending the CCHA from attacks that aren't fair.

Relying upon matters of fairness on this issue only pinpoints the fact that the CCHA was so utterly unprepared to deal with this eventuality that they deserve to be found culpable.
    I don't understand this paragraph at all? So, it's not OK to point out the unfairness of vilifying the CCHA for making a decision in its own best interests - just like everyone else has? And in what way was the CCHA supposed to be prepared?

All of these statements put out by Weston and the CCHA are ambiguous double-speak that fail to properly explain the CCHA's decison.
    From the articles I've read - not necessarily here, but elsewhere - the decision seems pretty well explained. Even if you don't agree with it. What else are you looking for? Some Bowling Green/Save Ferris conspiracy theory? Maybe that's not part of the explanation because that's not part of the reason. What else do you want? Look at Wodon's column - he touches on the Big Ten stuff, but only briefly. Mentions many other reasons. A simple matter of economics for the CCHA - and its members that are worried, for various reasons, about those economics. There is nothing more to understand than that.

I can even accept that it is the CCHA's right to make decisions as it pleases. But please do NOT think that shifting blame to the WCHA for this problem is a "fair" and acceptable way to shift responsibility for the CCHA's actions. That's like saying: Alan pushed Bob, so Bob punched Chris in the face. Defending the CCHA's decision on a matter of relative fairness (which seems to be the overwhelming consensus approach from writers like Weston and Wodon) is a losing battle. In fact, on a matter of fairness, the CCHA deserves to be vilified.
    I don't see it that way at all. I don't think anyone I saw has shifted blame to the WCHA. I think it was made pretty clear that there is no bad guy at all. The decision just is what it is. Please show me where blame was attempted to be shifted to anyone else? Defending the CCHA from being attacked for acting in its own best interests, by pointing out how others have done the same, is NOT a "shifting of blame."

In the end, the only real loser here is UAH. So why don't you ask UAH if that's fair?
    It totally sucks for UAH, and I and everyone I know sympathizes with them wholeheartedly. I wish they were playing in the CCHA next season. But that does not mean I will attack the CCHA as villains for their decision.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyFanClub
    replied

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    See, I agree with this. I've been saying this to lots of people: if we were a perfect fit for the CCHA, they would've taken us. We weren't, and they didn't.

That said, Adam Wodon's been writing about our impending demise for some time now.

GFM
    Do you have any citations that would prove that this is something he was happy about? Or was it just being written as a statement of unfortunate possibility?

Leave a comment:

• Larch
    replied

Originally posted by wnickelson View Post
    Alternately, and I may offer them as well, was "The CCHA Hates Grits" and "We Want Grits."
    I don't think that's works though, only people in the south like grits, where many of us do like biscuits.

Leave a comment:

• wnickelson
    replied

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Again: Biscuits? I don't get it.
    The biscuits routine came about while I was jotting down slogan ideas for the merch. I've got a list of them, but once I came across Danny Martin's follow on piece where he spoke with Forrest Karr, inspiration struck.

CCHA will miss out on Southern 'sugar' and biscuits

A native of Tishomingo, MS, Mr. Martin was lamenting on how he was hoping to come home to some of his momma's biscuits. It just kind of took off from there. Seemed clever enough. Alternately, and I may offer them as well, was "The CCHA Hates Grits" and "We Want Grits."

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I guess that I wasn't clear. It isn't the monetary aspect, it's the academic clout that the Ivies have. The RPI administation, for example, likes being mentioned in the same sentence as Harvard, Yale et al.
    What about Clarkson?? You're with us in all sports and just in one with those stinkin' Ivies.

Has this thread been hijacked?

Leave a comment:

• wnickelson
    replied

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
    May I suggest a slight edit for this season?

Who Hates Huntsville?
    Anastos Hates Huntsville!
    That idea keeps getting thrown my way, but the way I see it Anastos didn't have a dog in that fight (even if it was his house), so it's unfair to single him out. Better to vilify the body as a whole than singling out any one person that may or may not have been on our side. (Of course we could single people out if they didn't hide behind the vote by acclimation.)

The blue square on the sweaters is a nice idea, but I'd settle for a shot of willing ADs wearing a "Save UAH Hockey" button.

Leave a comment:

• Beer Pong Horn
    replied

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
    I would pay good money to see "Save UAH Hockey" buttons on a BSU student section as it chants "Who Hates Huntsville!!!" Even more if the buttons were on BSU jerseys.

The juxtaposition would just be...delicious.
    May I suggest a slight edit for this season?

Who Hates Huntsville?
    Anastos Hates Huntsville!

Leave a comment:

• MikeAnderson
    replied

Something else that would be cool...especially if some CCHA schools were willing to pull it off:

A small patch, say 1.5" tall by 1" wide, of blue fabric on the front of jerseys from the other schools. A show of solidarity, as it were.

Just a blue square.

We would know what they mean.

Leave a comment:

• MikeAnderson
    replied

Originally posted by wnickelson View Post
    Soon. Possibly later tonight.
    I would pay good money to see "Save UAH Hockey" buttons on a BSU student section as it chants "Who Hates Huntsville!!!" Even more if the buttons were on BSU jerseys.

The juxtaposition would just be...delicious.

Leave a comment:

• wnickelson
    replied

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
    Can we get the We Want Biscuits and The CCHA Hates Biscuits on Buttons as well??
    Soon. Possibly later tonight.

Originally posted by BlueDevil98 View Post
    This annoys me. I understand what you're saying, but the issue of "fairness" has popped up quite a bit, and please do not consider this a personal attack, but as annoyance that this excuse has been used over and over again.

Fairness is a relative concept in the world of college athletics. And in this instance, it's inapplicable. We could debate fairness back in forth; for instance, IMO, I find it unfair that the CCHA refused to release the vote of their decision and that they gave relatively BS reasons for rejecting UAH.

I believe that the WCHA did what should have been expected of them once they announced that they were looking for a 12th member to enter with Bemidji. And in fact, given the rumor (which I cannot confirm, yet is not key to my argument) that the CCHA was quite willing to let Alaska go, but not UNO, shows that it is not necessarily relevant that any one member left but only that UNO left. Why was UNO, who let us not forget, left the CCHA without even a second thought, so crucial to the CCHA? Why is it okay to cry foul at the WCHA when one of its own members was so eager to leave? Relying upon matters of fairness on this issue only pinpoints the fact that the CCHA was so utterly unprepared to deal with this eventuality that they deserve to be found culpable.

All of these statements put out by Weston and the CCHA are ambiguous double-speak that fail to properly explain the CCHA's decison. I can even accept that it is the CCHA's right to make decisions as it pleases. But please do NOT think that shifting blame to the WCHA for this problem is a "fair" and acceptable way to shift responsibility for the CCHA's actions. That's like saying: Alan pushed Bob, so Bob punched Chris in the face. Defending the CCHA's decision on a matter of relative fairness (which seems to be the overwhelming consensus approach from writers like Weston and Wodon) is a losing battle. In fact, on a matter of fairness, the CCHA deserves to be vilified.

Ultimately, the only "fair" thing to do is to be honest with UAH and provide them an unambiguous yes-or-no answer or a clear pathway to CCHA entry. UAH can either do something about this decision or it can't. But this isn't about being fair. I fully expect the CCHA to hedge its bets and wait for as long as possible to make a final decision and to give UAH lame excuses. In the end, the only real loser here is UAH. So why don't you ask UAH if that's fair?
    It annoys us, and particularly me, as well. No one has been honest with us yet and the consensus opinion is that we are not owed anything resembling an explanation. And then Weston and Wodon attempt to spin the CCHA's decision in a positive light which ultimately is not only futile, but misguided. The only happy thing I can take from all of this is the amazing outpouring of support we have received and the fact that there have been so that agree with the decision.
    Last edited by wnickelson; 08-24-2009, 06:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied

If Paula's Aug 19 column is accurate I'm left wondering ...

Why didn't the "Big Ten Hockey Conference" spectre keep Bemidji State out of the WCHA?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X