Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Save Uah Hockey!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

    I just had lunch with Danton Cole. He just got back from Slovakia last night, but suffice it to say that everything he hears at the school is that we're not cooked yet, and we're not folding our program. That commitment starts at the top, too.

    Geof
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

    Comment


    • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

      Originally posted by owslachief View Post
      What REALLY is going on with the other reps. present during the vote?
      Cost reduction, I guess. UAH may not make any more or less money for the other CCHA schools compared to UNO, but having UAH vs. having 11 teams means one less long trip. That's the only reason that makes any sort of sense.

      That and some of the smaller Michigan/Ohio schools can't draw fans on their own merits and need to be playing Michigan in order to get a good crowd. Thus, they want a smaller league with more Michigan games.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

      BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!


      At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

      Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

      Comment


      • Re: Save Uah Hockey! - a lot of troubles in the D1 hockey world

        Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        ... Short of something illegal, there's nothing that the NCAA can do to make sure that UAH survives. They can't force a conference to accept them. They can't tell UAH not to fold when it will likely be next to impossible to survive as an independent. What are they going to do: ...
        One thing that "they" could do is to reserve one slot in the NCAA D1 tournament for independents, in fact creating a defacto conference with unlimited free membership open to all. Although scheduling is obviously the major driving factor for conferences, a lot of the MAAC/AH/CHA turmoil may have unfolded differently if independents had something/anything in their favor. Although it may not have been an official slot, didn't the NCAA generally select the top independent for the tournament before the Alaskas found a home?

        Comment


        • Re: Save Uah Hockey! - a lot of troubles in the D1 hockey world

          Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          That may be a Pandora's box. Suddenly, you get an exemption when you don't have to leave the lower 48? How would Denver's and USAFA's lacrosse programs feel about that, considering that they're the only lacrosse programs west of Indiana? Where do you continue to draw the line here? How do you define that UAH Hockey warrants special consideration, but not any other programs in other less-popular sports that might be far away from the other schools in their sport?

          Perhaps I shouldn't say that there's nothing for the NCAA to do here, but anything they do would have to be air-tight and very specific. Otherwise, the NCAA will get a lot of knocking on their door asking for exemptions in their sport.
          Yep, The NCAA probably would be better off going to every single president and AD within D1 Ice Hockey that if Huntsville folds, then the NCAA will be then forced to drop the tournament to 12 teams. With the death of the CHA, there would be one more at-large berth to be had. Surely there are a lot of mid-level schools from the WCHA, Hockey East, and the ECAC that would be really perturbed if the tournament now lost four at-large berths. At best, those schools leaning on the CCHA schools get Huntsville into that stable. And at the least, it would be a strong encouragement for teams from the other conferences to at least make one trip south pretty soon. One weekend in Alabama would seem like a pretty small price to pay for a shot at one of the last spots into the Dance.
          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

          It just happens.


          nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

          leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

          Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

          Comment


          • Re: Save Uah Hockey! - a lot of troubles in the D1 hockey world

            Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            ...Perhaps I shouldn't say that there's nothing for the NCAA to do here, but anything they do would have to be air-tight and very specific. Otherwise, the NCAA will get a lot of knocking on their door asking for exemptions in their sport.
            Is it bad to expect them to do a little work to earn their $$? Let's say the rule could read something like "If a team has aggressively pursued all reasonable avenues for admission to a conference and no conference is willing to accept them, special consideration may be given to that program (after formal application under sec. _) by allowing any team that wants to schedule a game with them an extra game on that team's schedule".
            Last edited by tnlong; 08-17-2009, 02:37 PM.

            Comment


            • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

              Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
              I just had lunch with Danton Cole. He just got back from Slovakia last night, but suffice it to say that everything he hears at the school is that we're not cooked yet, and we're not folding our program. That commitment starts at the top, too.

              Geof
              Good news.

              The only thing good about what happened last week is everybody in college hockey is talking about UAH. They have gotten more press this summer over anything in the last twenty five years. Granted it is bad press but people are writing and talking about UAH.

              I hope they find a home.
              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

              Comment


              • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

                Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                Good news.

                The only thing good about what happened last week is everybody in college hockey is talking about UAH. They have gotten more press this summer over anything in the last twenty five years. Granted it is bad press but people are writing and talking about UAH.

                I hope they find a home.
                More good news: one of my goons/fellow alumni cold-called Tom Anastos. Tom called him back and explained the league's position. Tom also said, "If you guys want a scheduling alliance, now is the time." So my goon went to talk to Coach, but he was at lunch with me. Suffice it to say that I was on the phone with Danton right after that.

                My day is looking up.

                GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

                Comment


                • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

                  Originally posted by tnlong View Post
                  One thing that "they" could do is to reserve one slot in the NCAA D1 tournament for independents, in fact creating a defacto conference with unlimited free membership open to all.
                  That would inspire even more ridiculous rules and rule-bending adventures. What incentive does a team have to schedule twenty-plus games if they'll get an auto-bid at 10 games? Why would mid-level ECAC / WCHA / CCHA schools schedule a game against a team that could steal their at-large bid if they get enough games?

                  I mean, I've only followed the game for two years, and I really want to see UAH survive, but I don't think that's the way to do it.

                  Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                  I just had lunch with Danton Cole. He just got back from Slovakia last night, but suffice it to say that everything he hears at the school is that we're not cooked yet, and we're not folding our program. That commitment starts at the top, too.

                  Geof
                  Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                  Good news... I hope they find a home.
                  Agreed
                  Go Red!!

                  National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

                  Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

                  Comment


                  • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

                    Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                    That would inspire even more ridiculous rules and rule-bending adventures. What incentive does a team have to schedule twenty-plus games if they'll get an auto-bid at 10 games? Why would mid-level ECAC / WCHA / CCHA schools schedule a game against a team that could steal their at-large bid if they get enough games?
                    The NCAA mandates a minimum of 20 regular-season games played in order to be eligible for NCAA Tournament play.
                    UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

                    Mike Anderson
                    2006 Time Person of the Year
                    Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
                    It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

                    "Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

                    Comment


                    • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

                      Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
                      The NCAA mandates a minimum of 20 regular-season games played in order to be eligible for NCAA Tournament play.
                      Thank you. Did not realize that.
                      Go Red!!

                      National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

                      Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

                      Comment


                      • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

                        Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                        Incredible. So the guy whose team would be on the complete opposite end of CCHA's graph from UAH, and whose program pays for teams to visit doesn't have a problem with UAH joining?

                        What REALLY is going on with the other reps. present during the vote?
                        That's what is so important in this. Perhaps knowing that 5 or 6 CCHA schools were already against adding UAH made it easy for Alaska -- a school in somewhat similar situations when it comes to things like travel arrangements -- to be in favor. Mind you I'm not saying I think this is what is going on, just adding it to the pot of speculation.

                        The biggest disservice in all of this, at least the biggest after what would be a sad and needless loss of yet another D1 team, is the mystery surrounding it all. I want to know what factors and information all these institutions used in coming to this conclusion. Hell, all but one is supported by public funds, which leads me to believe we have the RIGHT to a little more information.

                        Comment


                        • Re: Save Uah Hockey! - a lot of troubles in the D1 hockey world

                          Originally posted by tnlong View Post
                          Trend lines don't lie; D1 hockey is in a lot of trouble.
                          With no mechanism for adding new programs, D1 hockey is in a lot of trouble.
                          If the NCAA is willing to let a viable D1 hockey program disappear because other teams don't won't them playing in their sandbox, D1 hockey is in a lot of trouble.
                          Really, do you have any data to back up this claim? The WCHA is doing fine financially. They had almost record numbers in March for the Final Five. You might want to rephrase that as some teams in the CCHA might be in Financial trouble.
                          Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                          Eric's Twitter
                          The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

                          Comment


                          • Re: Save Uah Hockey!

                            Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                            That's what is so important in this. Perhaps knowing that 5 or 6 CCHA schools were already against adding UAH made it easy for Alaska -- a school in somewhat similar situations when it comes to things like travel arrangements -- to be in favor. Mind you I'm not saying I think this is what is going on, just adding it to the pot of speculation.
                            Karr was on our side regardless. I'm pretty darn sure of that.

                            Also, I have the feeling that it was only four schools against.

                            GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

                            Comment


                            • Re: Save Uah Hockey! - a lot of troubles in the D1 hockey world

                              Originally posted by Goon View Post
                              Really, do you have any data to back up this claim? The WCHA is doing fine financially. They had almost record numbers in March for the Final Five. You might want to rephrase that as some teams in the CCHA might be in Financial trouble.
                              Well, we'd be losing the 5th program of this decade, with a possibility of losing more. That's not exactly good. Beyond that, if we lose any more programs, the NCAA may see to it that we go back to a 12-team playoff. That's not good either.

                              Who have we added since the mid-90s that replaces the loss of Kent St, UIC, Fairfield, Findlay, Iona, Wayne St and (maybe) UAH and BGSU? The MAAC schools?

                              The big dogs might be doing just fantastic, but if we're bleeding programs then the D-I game cannot possibly be considered to be doing well.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

                              BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!


                              At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

                              Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Save Uah Hockey! - a lot of troubles in the D1 hockey world

                                Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                                Well, we'd be losing the 5th program of this decade, with a possibility of losing more. That's not exactly good. Beyond that, if we lose any more programs, the NCAA may see to it that we go back to a 12-team playoff. That's not good either.

                                Who have we added since the mid-90s that replaces the loss of Kent St, UIC, Fairfield, Findlay, Iona, Wayne St and (maybe) UAH and BGSU? The MAAC schools?

                                The big dogs might be doing just fantastic, but if we're bleeding programs then the D-I game cannot possibly be considered to be doing well.
                                We did add RIT, and I think that WSU was both added and lost.
                                sigpic

                                Let's Go 'Tute!

                                Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                                2012 Poser Of The Year

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X