X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: US Junior Team cuts

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    The Stanley Cup and NCAA title are club championships that are really earned over the course of a long season and grinding playoffs. You win those for your teammates, your home fans and yourself. They have value because of the long sustained effort required to attain them over 6-8 months.

The Olympics and WJC are world championships, and while the effort required to attain them takes far less time, the idea of having a sanctioned medal that sees you crowned as the best in the world while wearing your country's name on your chest is tremendously appealing for any athlete and for their whole country.

I think the answer is not very clear-cut. Each athlete may value different things...
    and, of course, Olympics and WJC are now basically all-star type teams, that allow players, like from the Wild, have a chance at some sort of championhsip, something that they have no chance of back at their paying job.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
      and, of course, Olympics and WJC are now basically all-star type teams, that allow players, like from the Wild, have a chance at some sort of championhsip, something that they have no chance of back at their paying job.
      Is that why Jordan Schroeder is playing on the WJC? He wants a chance to win something?
      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        Neal Broten has won just about everything you can win but he regrets not winning the HS championship. Someone with a better memory than I can probably recall which title he found most special (I swear he stated it) but Swami is right I don't think there's a definitive favorite across the board.
        Back when Neal Broten won his gold it meant something completely different. He played on Brook's team who prior to the Olympics made a long and grinding schedule.
        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
          Is that why Jordan Schroeder is playing on the WJC? He wants a chance to win something?
          Nope he wants to make the Vancouver Canucks ASAP.
          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Great day of games right now (as opposed to yesterday).

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
              I have to disagree. For example, I will bet most NHL players would rather win a Stanley Cup over an Olympic Gold medal.
              For the longest time Canadians probably grew up dreaming about Stanley Cup championships with the Olympics being a long distant after thought. Simply put, Canada was not allowed to send their best to the Olympics so the value of an Olympic gold medal in hockey was suspect.

This is beginning to now change. Since the early 90's, millions of impressionable Canadian youths have been watching their country battle it out for supremacy on the word stage. TSN averages more viewers for this tourney than any others. I believe that over 3.5 million Canadians watched last year’s final. Winning a gold medal for your country is very much in vogue now in Canada and I suspect more so than even winning a Stanley Cup.

As for U.S players, at one time college hockey was everything but that time is now gone. Take a look at the composition of this year's U.S. WJC squad. Ten players on it have ties to the CHL and not the NCAA. Many many more are NTDP graduates whose sole purpose is to make the NHL and win medals for their country along the way. The NCAA is merely a way station on to bigger things. Sure the college boys would love to win a NCAA title but you can't tell me that it would mean more than a gold medal in the most prestigious armature hockey event in the world today.

Comment

Besides TSN and NHL for live TV, any other way to at least get updates (websites, etc)?

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                  Sure the college boys would love to win a NCAA title but you can't tell me that it would mean more than a gold medal in the most prestigious armature hockey event in the world today.
                  Considering that the niche hockey audience in this country doesn't give a rat's *** about this tournament, nor does most of the niche of a niche of college hockey fans, I imagine most of their friends look at them about the same as people I know look at my Pinewood derby trophy from when I was 8. They probably get less coverage in their hometowns than Mark Grimmette does in my hometown for his 4 Olympic appearances in Luge.

Good god, at least ESPN acknowledges the Stanley Cup.
                  Last edited by bronconick; 12-31-2009, 01:22 PM.
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                    Considering that the niche hockey audience in this country doesn't give a rat's *** about this tournament, nor does most of the niche of a niche of college hockey fans, I imagine most of their friends look at them about the same as people I know look at my Pinewood derby trophy from when I was 8. They probably get less coverage in their hometowns than Mark Grimmette does in my hometown for his 4 Olympic appearances in Luge.

Good god, at least ESPN acknowledges the Stanley Cup.
                    In the hockey world, this tournament dwarfs D-1 hockey. Draft status, contracts and futures are made at this tourney.

So because a high school title has more of a following in Minny, it has more prestige than this tournament???

Dream on.

Comment

Originally posted by hanasoni View Post
                      Besides TSN and NHL for live TV, any other way to at least get updates (websites, etc)?
                      This is the website I have found to be very detailed.

http://www.iihf.com/en/channels0910/...tatistics.html
                      Remember the 5 "S's" of hockey - Speed, Size, Strength, Skill and Smarts - The more you have of these, the higher level you get to go to....

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
                        In the hockey world, this tournament dwarfs D-1 hockey. Draft status, contracts and futures are made at this tourney.

So because a high school title has more of a following in Minny, it has more prestige than this tournament???

Dream on.
                        Perhaps. Since Canadian hockey players would give their left nut to win Gold at the WJC, you assume it is the same for every single hockey player when this isn't necessarily true.
                        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by brianvf View Post
                          Were you at either game?
                          How about the DU/UND 1st round playoff games where DU won the 1st game and then UND won the next two games, both in OT? It was darn loud for those two as well.
                          Those were both louder than the Holy Cross game. I even thought last year when UND beat CC in OT it was louder than the Holy cross game.

Broten's gold medal has to be his sweetest. They were underdog amatuers playing against basically profesional teams. When he won the cup he was an older player on the team and really didn't play that important of a role. He has always said he wished he would have won the state tourny but all kids from up north LOVE to bring that trophy up where it belongs.

Comment

Swedes and Finns tied up at 0 late in the first period.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                              Perhaps. Since Canadian hockey players would give their left nut to win Gold at the WJC, you assume it is the same for every single hockey player when this isn't necessarily true.
                              Considering that the core of the U.S. team has been through the NTDP, where they wore the U.S. colors for two years, where they represented their country in numerous international tournaments, where pride is instilled for playing USA HOCKEY......yeah I'd say it's more than true

Comment

If you say so, kemosabe.
                                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Working...
                                X