Arizona State Moving To D1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Arizona State Moving To D1

So, where has all the pent up fervor for hockey in the desert gone?

No season thread, even?

FYI, I just tried to place a hypothetical order for 60 tickets to this Friday night's game at Oceanside Arena. Sixty! No problem. They added that many tickets right into my cart (60 seats at 20 bucks a pop) for a total of $1284.00 with fees.

Oceanside seats 747 for hockey, now. If you can't sell out an arena this small in your first year of D-1, in your very first home game in your own barn at that level, at a school this size, 3 days before the game, I don't care who the opponent is........................?

I can't believe you could even get near the place at this point.

As an aside, at the UNO luncheon at the Omaha Press Club today Mike Kemp, UNO's Associate Athletic Director, said that UNO will be playing at ASU "around Thanksgiving in 2019".

I, for one, will be surprised if these games actually take place in an arena that was built specifically for ASU Hockey or one with ASU Hockey in mind.
    Last edited by Red Cows; 10-20-2015, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post

No season thread, even?

FYI, I just tried to place a hypothetical order for 60 tickets to this Friday night's game at Oceanside Arena. Sixty! No problem. They added that many tickets right into my cart (60 seats at 20 bucks a pop) for a total of $1284.00 with fees.

Oceanside seats 747 for hockey, now. If you can't sell out an arena this small in your first year of D-1, in your very first home game in your own barn at that level, at a school this size, 3 days before the game, I don't care who the opponent is........................?

As an aside, at the UNO luncheon at the Omaha Press Club today Mike Kemp, UNO's Associate Athletic Director, said that UNO will be playing at ASU "around Thanksgiving in 2019".

I, for one, will be surprised if these games actually take place in an arena that was built specifically for ASU Hockey or one with ASU Hockey in mind.
      I think they are playing an internet school

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnieb View Post
        Big two-game set coming up vs. Southern New Hampshire.

I'm hoping that USCHO is wrong in failing to list these as exhibitions (also the Wisconsin-Eau Claire series is listed as NC and not EX). These can't possibly count as regular season games for RPI and PWR purposes can they?
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

SNHU are the "Penmen":

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...818&source=RSS

http://www.snhu.edu/student-experien...at-is-a-penman

Comment

Maybe they can schedule University of Phoenix and cut down on travel expenses

Comment

• They heavily advertise their online degree programs here in the northeast, so I found that joke amusing.

What is the deal with the Northeast 10 hockey schools? They still consider themselves DII. Is the quality of thier play essentially DIII? Do they give players scholarships? I'm aware there is no longer a DII championship.
              Last edited by Middle Street; 10-21-2015, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post

No season thread, even?

Sooo Oceanside, despite their renos, is still a pretty dumpy venue. ASU also isn't playing an actual D1 schools there, so no real incentive to come watch an NCAA team beat up on weaker opponents.

If ASU was smart, they'd be shuttling in students for free to spark interest.
                RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  Big two-game set coming up vs. Southern New Hampshire.

I'm hoping that USCHO is wrong in failing to list these as exhibitions (also the Wisconsin-Eau Claire series is listed as NC and not EX). These can't possibly count as regular season games for RPI and PWR purposes can they?
                  games against DII and DIII schools count towards the game limit and are not considered exhibitions but are not counted towards RPI/PWR
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                    They heavily advertise their online degree programs here in the northeast, so I found that joke amusing.

What is the deal with the Northeast 10 hockey schools? They still consider themselves DII. Is the quality of thier play essentially DIII? Do they give players scholarships? I'm aware there is no longer a DII championship.

I couldn't tell you why they don't play up, unless their basketball teams already do. I'm fairly certain that there is enough of them for a conference. And they might share a conference with some AHA teams.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      I couldn't tell you why they don't play up, unless their basketball teams already do. I'm fairly certain that there is enough of them for a conference. And they might share a conference with some AHA teams.
                      Money? There are no scholarships in D3 and few in D2.
                      RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
                        Money? There are no scholarships in D3 and few in D2.
                        but there is no "D2" hockey so its either go AHA route and have restrictive scholarships and play a D1 schedule or have no scholarships and play against D3 teams. but because they are D2 teams, they can't win the D3 title.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                          Maybe they can schedule University of Phoenix and cut down on travel expenses
                          Classic!

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            Nine current NE-10 schools sponsor men's varsity ice hockey teams. Three already play up to DI; AIC, Bentley and Merrimack: four play in a 4 team NE-10 conference; Assumption, Franklin Pierce, Southern New Hampshire and Stonehill: and the final two play as DII teams in the DIII ECAC East: Saint Anselm and Saint Michael's.

The four teams in the NE-10 conference play an 11 game league schedule; each of the other 3 teams 3 times each and Saint Anslem and Saint Micheal's once each. Their non-conference games are scheduled against DIII teams. The two Saints only play each of the other NE-10 teams once for a 5 game NE-10 league schedule so they can play full ECAC East league schedules. However, neither Saint team is eligible for the ECAC East playoffs, so there is a NE-10 tournament for the top four teams based on the craziest point system I have ever heard of (vs the two Saints it is the standard 2 points/game, but for the 4 teams that play a three game series vs each other only 2 points are awarded for each series. You can read about it on last year's NE-10 standings page).

There had been talk of Saint Anselm playing up to DI, but instead they are looking at dropping all sports to DIII. If the remaining 5 DII teams all played up to DI they would be one team short for an NCAA bid unless AIC and/or Bentley joined them. I see no way Merrimack would join them unless forced to. However, it appears that it is a non-starter, as it appears most of the schools offer either no or a limited number of athletic scholarships. And Southern New Hampshire, which specifically mentions which sports have scholarships, does not list men's ice hockey.

Sean
                            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                            BU Hockey highlights and extras
                            NCAA Hockey Financials
                            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post

What is the deal with the Northeast 10 hockey schools? They still consider themselves DII. Is the quality of thier play essentially DIII?
                              No, the level of play is generally below most every D3 program...

Comment

Well, ASU played Southern New Hampshire ( The Internet school ) they beat them 9-2 & 7-1. ASU played like a DI school playing a DII school (which was SNHU first 2 games of the season). I hope ASU fans do not think this is the overwhelming win basically it was a practice game for SNHU. These wins are not ones to brag about they should beat a DII school. They only schools they have looked good were the Alaska schools. I think a game against University of Phoenix's team would be something to see University Phoenix has not lost a game in 40 years 😊

Proud Grandpa of Haley,Adam & Luke
                                A Retired shop teacher and proud of it (35 years )

OSWEGO STATE Almost class of 1973

OSWEGO STATE LAKERS 2007 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
                                Oswego, from the Indian Oshwakee, "the flowing out of the waters."
                                Arizona State Class of 1974
                                ASU THE ACHA D1 2014 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
                                Arizona based on the Pima Indian word arizonac, meaning "little spring place."

Comment

Working...
                                X