• Show
Clear All

• Re: Arizona State Moving To D1

I stand corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      I stand corrected.
      Joe reminded me that the reason independents made the tournament back then was because a spot was "reserved" for one when it was expanded from 8 to 12 teams. ASU will have to earn an at large bid, which will be much harder.

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Yes and based on their convincing victory over an average high school team last week, they are a shoe in for an at large.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
          A repeat of the above question.
          Anyone making the trip I'd like to meet.
          Buy your group the beverage of your choice, before, between periods or after the game.
          Let me know here and let's set something up.
          he means it. we went up several years ago and were royally treated - dinner AND beer at the games! the scenery is pretty good too.
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

having lived through the Findlay and Wayne State program shut down, I am THRILLED to see a new program. and I wish them the best. for over 30 years MTU was told it was too small a school, too small a town, too academically tough, too old, too everything. shut the program down. last year we came away one point out of WCHA first place, lost in the WCHA finals by :37 seconds and made the NCAA tournament. let the Sun Devils dream dreams. 100 years from now some fan will pull out an old program and look at the list of teams they played the first year and remember us all fondly.
            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnieb View Post
              Yes and based on their convincing victory over an average high school team last week, they are a shoe in for an at large.
              Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the last time I looked, games against club teams (like Arizona) are not recognized as official games by the NCAA, can't be included in official season records, and therefore don't count in the at-large calculus. So the official record for the trident-wielders remains 0-0-0.
              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the last time I looked, games against club teams (like Arizona) are not recognized as official games by the NCAA, can't be included in official season records, and therefore don't count in the at-large calculus. So the official record for the trident-wielders remains 0-0-0.
                Unlike Ronnieb's misspelling of "shoo-in," this is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                  so, with only what...25 games vs. DI opponents, what does that do to their RPI and PWR? advantage, disadvantage, neither?
                  I have enough trouble following calculations when teams are playing close to the same number of games. but ASU is playing 13 fewer DI games than some WCHA teams...
                  Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                    Unlike Ronnieb's misspelling of "shoo-in," this is correct.
                    Classic Internet grammarist

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                      having lived through the Findlay and Wayne State program shut down, I am THRILLED to see a new program. and I wish them the best. for over 30 years MTU was told it was too small a school, too small a town, too academically tough, too old, too everything. shut the program down. last year we came away one point out of WCHA first place, lost in the WCHA finals by :37 seconds and made the NCAA tournament. let the Sun Devils dream dreams. 100 years from now some fan will pull out an old program and look at the list of teams they played the first year and remember us all fondly.
                      Love me some Michigan Tech.

Comment

Two recent commits, Georgy Gorodetsky in the 2016 class from the USHL and Owen Sillinger in the 2017 class from the BCHL.

Comment

You guys will be fine, I can see at least 10/12 wins against DI teams. I hope we just overlooked you, UA_ just shat the bed.
                          Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                            You guys will be fine, I can see at least 10/12 wins against DI teams. I hope we just overlooked you, UA_ just shat the bed.
                            With no disrespect intended for UAA and Alaska, I predict that Arizona will surpass them both within a few short years, maybe next year. Yea, I know they already beat Alaska and could very well have beaten UAA, but I really don't think they are better than either team right now. But obviously very close (if not better) right from the git-go. That to me is impressive.

If they can get a conference, I believe they'll be an easier recruit than either Alaska team and probably many of the more remote-ish WCHA teams (looking at you Bemidji, MTU, NMU, and Lake State. (just to show I'm not biased, I actually have a strong fan bias toward Alaska and the other teams mentioned .... I just love the teams from smallish, out of the way places). Even without a conference or any D1 history, it's clear they've already recruited and developed almost as well as those well-established teams.

Good luck Sun Devils.

Comment

Congrats on the first DI win for A-State. Enjoy this ride, you only get a first season once. RIT's first DI season is still one of my favorite teams even though they only won 4 DI games.
                              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                              2010 Frozen Four participant
                              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                                I'd be absolutely thrilled if we could get 9 more wins against D1 teams. But really that would involve winning every D1 game I could possibly see us winning this year, unless I'm missing something. Any more than that would be those wins plus some upset that I don't see happening.

Originally posted by camilo View Post
                                With no disrespect intended for UAA and Alaska, I predict that Arizona will surpass them both within a few short years, maybe next year. Yea, I know they already beat Alaska and could very well have beaten UAA, but I really don't think they are better than either team right now. But obviously very close (if not better) right from the git-go. That to me is impressive.

If they can get a conference, I believe they'll be an easier recruit than either Alaska team and probably many of the more remote-ish WCHA teams (looking at you Bemidji, MTU, NMU, and Lake State. (just to show I'm not biased, I actually have a strong fan bias toward Alaska and the other teams mentioned .... I just love the teams from smallish, out of the way places). Even without a conference or any D1 history, it's clear they've already recruited and developed almost as well as those well-established teams.

Good luck Sun Devils.
                                From what I remember reading all but 2 of the club guys that were brought up had D1 offers, presumably from smaller, more remotely located schools. Based on the fact that Powers could convince those guys to come here and pay over $1,000 a year to play is where I feel confident in his recruiting ability.

Comment

Working...
                                X