Clear All

• Re: Arizona State Moving To D1

I see.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      As Merrimack did in 1988.

Sean
      And Alaska-Anchorage made a three-peat of NCAA tourney appearance as an independent from 1990 to 1992.

Anchorage's 1992 appearance is the last in the tourney by an independent school.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Some good stuff in this thread:

NCAA tournament bid for Arizona State?

I'm not so sure about that but the good news is when they drop one or two against D3 Wisconsin Eau Claire, it won't count against them in the D1 tournament selection criteria.

A good USHL team would beat U of Arizona?

Yeah, definitely. An average Minnesota high school team would as well.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          And Alaska-Anchorage made a three-peat of NCAA tourney appearance as an independent from 1990 to 1992.

Anchorage's 1992 appearance is the last in the tourney by an independent school.
          I'd argue that Niagara in 2000 counts. They played 17 CHA games sans the tournament in Huntsville (which they won because Greg Gardner kicked the goal off its moorings to invalidate a UAH tying marker, NOT THAT I AM STILL BITTER), with just five of them going farther than a bus ride (UAH, BSU, and one at Air Force, splitting the other game with CC). Was the CHA a conference? Technically, yes.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
            I'd argue that Niagara in 2000 counts. They played 17 CHA games sans the tournament in Huntsville (which they won because Greg Gardner kicked the goal off its moorings to invalidate a UAH tying marker, NOT THAT I AM STILL BITTER), with just five of them going farther than a bus ride (UAH, BSU, and one at Air Force, splitting the other game with CC). Was the CHA a conference? Technically, yes.

GFM
            Don't steal it from us, it's all we have left!
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
              Just to reiterate. When the City of Lincoln and the Huskers built and finished Pinnacle Bank Arena 3 years ago, all the plumbing necessary to make ice were added to the building. This was a last minute addition before the floor was poured. The only thing missing is the above the ground ice making/refrigeration equipment.

The University of Nebraska is currently building the Breslow Ice Center right next door to Pinnacle Bank Arena. This is a 700 seat facility. Since Pinnacle Bank Arena is a multipurpose facility that hosts all sorts of events besides Husker Basketball like concerts and other events (Note: The Husker Volleyball team does NOT play at Pinnacle Bank Arena. The Devaney Center was converted to a volleyball only faculty at the same time Pinnacle Bank Arena was being built and they play there) it woukd not be avilabe for hockey purposes as often as needed. This would be particularly true if the Huskers added both a men's and women's program (potentially being forced to do so because of Title IX issues). The Breslow Ice Center is a single rink facility but is being built so that it might be expanded.

Presumably, any incipient men's or women's Husker hockey program would play in Pinnacle Bank Center and practice in the Breslow Center, as necessary,if PBA is in use for some other purpose that would not allow practice to take place there.

Right now, the school's only announced plans for the facility is that the school's club hockey team, which has not even played their games in Lincoln for a decade, will be playing at Breslow.
              Okay... so Syracuse has Tennity for practices. It's not right next door to the ONCenter but so what? It still seems comparable.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                Okay... so Syracuse has Tennity for practices. It's not right next door to the ONCenter but so what? It still seems comparable.
                Tennity is owned and run run by Recreation Services and not the SU Athletic Department. According the women's head coach that relationship is not perfect and it sounds like adding a men's team would add more issues.

Who will run the Breslow Ice Center?

Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Well now it seems like we're just splitting hairs.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Any of you guys/gals coming up to Alaska?
                    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                      As Merrimack did in 1988.

Sean
                      Wasn't the rule back then that the best independent team got a bid?
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                        Any of you guys/gals coming up to Alaska?
                        A repeat of the above question.
                        Anyone making the trip I'd like to meet.
                        Buy your group the beverage of your choice, before, between periods or after the game.
                        Let me know here and let's set something up.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          There was a tournament.
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            I don't recall if it was a written rule or not, but yes, due to the number of independent teams at the time one was invited to the NCAA tournament from 1988-1992.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

I think the question remains. I am fairly (somwhat? ) positive that SCSU was not eligible for any post-season play its first year of play which wasn't technically part of the WCHA, but I fully admit I could be off and am either not remembering circumstances correctly or thinking of another sport altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                I think the question remains. I am fairly (somwhat? ) positive that SCSU was not eligible for any post-season play its first year of play which wasn't technically part of the WCHA, but I fully admit I could be off and am either not remembering circumstances correctly or thinking of another sport altogether.
                                St. Cloud made the NCAA Tournament as an independent in 1989 (between Merrimack's appearance and UAA's three straight appearances).

Sean
                                Last edited by Sean Pickett; 10-08-2015, 08:59 AM.

BU Hockey Games
                                NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Working...
                                X