X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Episode XXXI: A New Hope

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    If you're referring to the shootout, I don't believe it matters. Iirc, out of conference shootouts are exhibitions. The game be be a tie officially...

but a loss from the Badgers' perspective although Eaves won't paint it that way - not that he should.
    I've said it before and I'll probably say it again in the future but K. Schulze is a really good hockey player.

Probably not a bad thing overall. Hard not to learn that lesson. Guys played pretty great for 58 minutes when few if any gave them a chance to even be in the game. After that own goal we just relaxed completely. What a crazy play. Feels more like we would have probably won it if it had stayed 2-1. Weird.

Still, I'll take 3 of 4 from #2 and be satisfied.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Somebody PLEASE tell Paul Braun it's Davison NOT Davidson.

Comment

A disaster of a tie (and they didn't seem to care about the shoot-out). What's so frustrating is that for the first 57 minutes it was what I'm guessing the most complete game they've played all year. Badgers played hard, got some breaks and was a really entertaining game. I don't care who they are playing, you can not give up a 2-goal lead in the last 2 1/2 minutes at home. Still can't believe what I watched.

Comment

This was the first game I have been to this year. I thought they played a physical/mean game for most of the game. UW showed a lot of heart throughout the game. I went from thinking how in the world does this team have only 2 wins...to oh yea that's why, in a matter of 3 minutes. It defiantly felt like a loss, it will be very interesting to see how tomorrow's game goes. There are more positives to take from this game than negatives for a team that is 2-11-2. They need to build off this game going into conference play and maybe they can turn it around a bit.

All in all, what an odd last 4 minutes to this game.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            If you're referring to the shootout, I don't believe it matters. Iirc, out of conference shootouts are exhibitions. The game be be a tie officially...

but a loss from the Badgers' perspective although Eaves won't paint it that way - not that he should.
            Yes, I am well aware that the shootout didn't matter in that sense, but that "save" just seemed to be the perfect cap to a terrible finish to the game.
            Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
            Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
            sigpic
            Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
            1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

sounds like UW played pretty well tonight...I didn't listen in or watch...

however I can do the **** without this "We talk about when you're up a goal, putting the fish in the boat," Wisconsin head coach Mike Eaves said. "I don't do a lot of fishing, but I know sometimes you don't get the hook in the mouth, and sometimes it wiggles off. This one wiggled off tonight."

I mean really, how stupid does that sound?

and

"We'll learn our lessons, but gosh, our guys did so many tremendous things for so long," Eaves said. "We're so proud of them."

it's like "oh, gee willikers, we we're almost there" I just want to tell Eaves to **** at this point. Just win, mmmmmk?
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

They played pretty well for most of the game. All over the ice, it was a great matchup. That ending stung, needless to say. For some reason, it didn't sting too much. This was probably because I had this feeling they'd tie it up, simply because BU is very good this year while Wisconsin isn't, and BU had about a minute and a half to work with after it was 3-2.

Also, BU not sending out Eichel for the it-doesn't-matter shootout bugged me.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                  sounds like UW played pretty well tonight...I didn't listen in or watch...

however I can do the **** without this "We talk about when you're up a goal, putting the fish in the boat," Wisconsin head coach Mike Eaves said. "I don't do a lot of fishing, but I know sometimes you don't get the hook in the mouth, and sometimes it wiggles off. This one wiggled off tonight."

I mean really, how stupid does that sound?

and

"We'll learn our lessons, but gosh, our guys did so many tremendous things for so long," Eaves said. "We're so proud of them."

it's like "oh, gee willikers, we we're almost there" I just want to tell Eaves to **** at this point. Just win, mmmmmk?
                  I tried to watch but I had all sorts of issues with the online WI channel locking up on me with the desktop and the laptop. I essentially saw the 2nd period and that was about it. Was the game on Charter TV anywhere last night? I looked briefly when I was having issues and did not see it.

It's frustrating to lose another lead, it's a bit of a hallmark of Eaves teams, or at least it feels like it. The lads played very well, I am proud of their effort and things seem to be looking up a bit. From what I could see, they played very physical, which was great to see since that means they are on top of the puck carrier and not just chasing.

Too bad Eaves doesn't fish, there's just a plethora of awesome anecdotes and the like to use. Kinda unrelated, but I really got a kick out of fishing Monona this fall for the first time. Looks south and it looks like any other lake. Look north and the Capitol and Monona Terrace right on the water. It has to be one of the most unique lake set-ups in the country. Pretty cool. We did manage to catch all the muskies we had hooked up, of course there were some top water blow ups that did not result in a hookup.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I got am email the other day from BA saying the A Dept. is proposing increasing women's hockey season ticket prices to the BOR. Any increase on the table for the men? Even with the increase the gal's season tickets are still an awesome deal (but don't get too greedy BA).
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      I tried to watch but I had all sorts of issues with the online WI channel locking up on me with the desktop and the laptop. I essentially saw the 2nd period and that was about it. Was the game on Charter TV anywhere last night? I looked briefly when I was having issues and did not see it.

It's frustrating to lose another lead, it's a bit of a hallmark of Eaves teams, or at least it feels like it. The lads played very well, I am proud of their effort and things seem to be looking up a bit. From what I could see, they played very physical, which was great to see since that means they are on top of the puck carrier and not just chasing.

Too bad Eaves doesn't fish, there's just a plethora of awesome anecdotes and the like to use. Kinda unrelated, but I really got a kick out of fishing Monona this fall for the first time. Looks south and it looks like any other lake. Look north and the Capitol and Monona Terrace right on the water. It has to be one of the most unique lake set-ups in the country. Pretty cool. We did manage to catch all the muskies we had hooked up, of course there were some top water blow ups that did not result in a hookup.
                      I used to musky fish a lot and fished in the World Championship Musky Classic every year with 600-800 other guys. Our team has won it a few times and individuals from our team have won it. Years ago, two guys on our team hooked a big fish and despite all the things that can easily go wrong, they did everything exactly right. After about 20 minutes they had it laying alongside and were guiding it head first into a 34" deep net. I should note, one of these two guys has caught several 40+ pound fish and is very experienced. They went to lift the fish and net over the gunwale and over half of the length of the fish remained out of the net! Because of this fact, the fish tipped out into the lake and with a single massive shake was gone with only the bait remaining, the hooks having become tangled in the net. Guy later described it thusly: "It was like standing there and watching your own dick fall off."

A month or so later we were at an expo where a world record replica was on display. He didn't know if his fish was bigger, but he felt strongly it was that class of fish. It's been 30 years and his eyes still go glassy when it comes up. He knows what Eaves was talking about.
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

I tried to watch but I had all sorts of issues with the online WI channel locking up on me with the desktop and the laptop. I essentially saw the 2nd period and that was about it. Was the game on Charter TV anywhere last night? .....
                        It was on the Wisconsin channel charter 196. It is tonight too...
                        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

I got am email the other day from BA saying the A Dept. is proposing increasing women's hockey season ticket prices to the BOR. Any increase on the table for the men? Even with the increase the gal's season tickets are still an awesome deal (but don't get too greedy BA).
                          I get one student and one adult for women. Price goes from $45 to $75. That's a 67% increase. They better not have 2pm Friday games and 4pm games in front of a men's game at 7pm if t they want that extra money. It is still a good deal but with the those odd games it angers me a bit that they increased it that much.
                          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

They need to come out in the 1st tonight just as physical as last night. They were really knocking BU around in the 1st. It is tough to keep that intensity throughout 60 minutes with only 3 lines, but it did make BU think about playing pucks. I think it was the 1st period, LeBate crushed someone in the corner near the student section. Soleway made his presence felt the whole game. Soleway's shot/goal was quite surprising, that was a heck of a release and even better placement. It is always funny watching the goalie search for his water bottle after a goal.

The 4th line didn't see the ice much if at all after the 10 min mark in the 2nd. The team is not very deep, I wonder if they wore down at the end. Still no excuse for how the 3rd goal was caused. That is a play you stop doing like Gurt said in Bantams/Peewees.
                            Last edited by bucky15; 01-10-2015, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                              Somebody PLEASE tell Paul Braun it's Davison NOT Davidson.
                              Love PB for the nostalgia of it but I think he's coming to the end. In the first I'm absolutely certain he thought the Badgers were trailing in shots the whole time. And he obviously hasn't checked up on the team as he just seems to read the press guide notes once in awhile without seeming to know what any of it really means. God love PB but he's getting harder to listen to.

Ron Vincent on the other hand... well as far as I'm concerned anything Badgers can do for Ron they should do. His NCAA factory Penticon Vees could be the whole key to the Badgers future. If somehow both Fabbro and Jost, two of the top prospects in Canada in their age group (and therefore two of the best anywhere) end up at Wisco and excel, it could really signal the return of the Canadian Club to the Badgers. Something I feel is a necessity for Bucky as otherwise we have some significant disadvantages in recruiting against a handful of other top programs.
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

I also thought it was interesting that Eaves didn't choose to go into a shell in the third despite having just won a big game with that strategy. They kept their foot on the gas until the own goal. He apparently had confidence in the boys continuing to beat BU to pucks despite BU having the greatest player in the known universe.

And: Soleway roofs it and Besse pipes out. That seems backwards.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X